Leather color matched creams | FerrariChat

Leather color matched creams

Discussion in '360/430' started by KC360 FL, Dec 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I have a '03 360 with the Crema interior. I've been looking for a cream that I could use to recolor minor wear creases in my seats. Did you know that Amazon has Colourlock Fresh/dye creams for our Ferraris?

I was amazed. I thought I would have to do a custom mix myself to get a decent match. They have it in all our colors, including Crema.

Thought I'd share. I'll let you know how well the stuff works. I plan to follow up with the leatherique treatment so we will see how the whole process pans out. Has anybody here used this Colourlock product?

Cheers.

whatheheck and E60 M5 like this.
  2. as00256

as00256 Rookie

Jan 9, 2013
    Zurich
  3. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Wow, great, thanks. ;)

Still waiting to do mine. Even in Florida it's been a little too cold to do the process. Leatherique suggests letting their product sit on the leather with the windows rolled up outside in the sun to "create a sauna type environment" for as long as possible-- 5 or 6 hours. Once clean then I try the Colourlock on my seats.

Enjoy...

4. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Great find!

Kindly share your experience with it once your done.

Thanks.

Dan

5. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Surely will. ;)

whatheheck likes this.
  6. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Anyone else try this yet?
    I just placed an order

7. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    I just got my order in the mail today from the UK
    I will check it out and see how the color match is

whatheheck likes this.
  8. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Just a quick update. I havent had time to get into this fully but I will say the color is an exact match so thats a start

9. TAILWAG

TAILWAG Karting

Apr 8, 2007
    OP/Olathe
    Full Name:
    Angel
    I have the tan color and ended up mixing my own leather dyes to achieve the right color - it took me less than 5 minutes, but worked like a charm. Yes, the best way is to get it heat up nicely. I was able to use a hair dryer and it did the trick.

10. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Is it like paint or what? How is the surface afterwards? And for how long will it stick on without falling off or wear off....? Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. My 550 need some color on the side bolsters...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

11. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
  12. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    look forward to seeing photos of the results

13. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
  14. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I finally got around to trying the Colourlock leather dye/coloring.
    Not real happy. The color of my interior is Crema. My seats are in pretty good shape with only a few minor cracks here and there that are mostly just in the color. The car is a 2003 360 with 24K miles on it.
    It is very difficult to apply this without some streaking. The color of the Colourlock is slightly lighter than the seat color. I spent about and hour on the one seat and tried various methods of "blending" the color but still not really good results. The product would probably work better on darker color seats but it is kind of a paint. Very thin mind you, but it "painted" my fingers and when I cleaned them it came off like a base coat color paint.

I guess I was hoping for a more subtle dye of sorts that would absorb into the leather. I may try again at a later date. I'm going to see how the color wears. Perhaps it will "wear in" and look better.
    Just looks too much like paint for my tastes. Maybe my seats are not "bad" enough to use this yet.

15. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for sharing info.

Dan

16. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    "Just looks too much like paint for my tastes. Maybe my seats are not "bad" enough to use this yet."

Use an airbrush to apply the paint(dye). It is paint. Not dye. I have used a couple of different brands of it and using the airbrush is the key to getting a good natural finish. Dark colors are very easy, cuoio a bit more difficult, and crema most difficult to blend and match the color. Your leather will have changed color a little either getting lighter or darker over time especially if exposed to sunlight. Like you, I had trouble trying to "rub" in the dye and, as you noted, it looked like paint because that is what it is. Airbrush is the only way to get it to look right and you can feather blend in the color applying very light misty coats until you get the color and texture you want. And, it is very easy and quick to do more touch ups when it gradually wears off again on the bolsters. A basic Passche is all you need.