leather conditioning and cleaning | Page 2 | FerrariChat

leather conditioning and cleaning

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by marce, May 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gandalfthegray.

gandalfthegray. Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Pinewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Any concerns of using the Leatherique product on my 430 seats where the drivers seat had the bolster spot dyed? Will the cleaning process remove the non OEM dye on the bolster?

2. Jsf721

Jsf721 Karting

May 15, 2015
    If I were you I would look up the Polish Angel Line. I recently purchased the Charisma Protectant and the Bella Cleaner. They are a little pricey but I ordered over 150 bucks worth of mixed products and the shipping from Germany was free. Can DHL 2 day shipping. I got the stuff as fast as ordering from the US and it was made fresh.

A little went a long way. So far all I had time to do was my driver arm rest but I hope to knock out the rest this weekend.

And because I am new here I will tell you all I don't sell any of the products I mention in my posts and if I get a free sample I tell you up front. I paid full price for these less the Memorial day discount they had running. I plan in buying their Engine cleaner (tried a friends and wow is it fast and easy) and possibly their rim protectant if they out up a 4th of July sale.

I will post up some pics when I have the work completed.

BTW how do you post pics on this forum. My uploads form Photobucket come across as links not pictures?

Thanks

3. martiy1971

martiy1971 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2015
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Robert Martineau
    I am a Leatherique fan as well and from all the products on the market that I have tried this is the only product that appears to deep condition rather than just sitting on top.

4. Silber

Silber Karting

Jun 6, 2014
    Switzerland
    #29 Silber, Sep 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi All, to follow up on this thread, I ordered some Leatherique and initially used it on the black leather in my 512M. The leather was already clean but I realised looking a little dry, but is now back to soft and supple and even the light scuffing on the drivers seat bolster has disappeared. Worth it for that alone, but it was remarkable to see how the leather does dry over time without you realising. It was really easy to just rub in the rejuvenator oil, let it sit in the sun for an afternoon, and spray on the pristine clean to remove it. Much easier than the directions let on, so all you need is a hot day... and to realise how much leather is in the car! It seemed hard to get Leatherique in Europe so I ordered from Ebay.

Given how dirty my new 348's seats were, I got some Colourlock mild leather cleaner from the Swissvax store not far from me. This was a foam pump that cleaned the dirt off really easily. I then used the Leatherique process for a bit of a deeper clean and, more importantly, conditioning. The leather on the upper sections of the doors was particularly dry but is now looking and feeling really good. One more application and I think it will be spot on. The results speak for themselves...

Thanks again for everyone's thoughts a couple of months ago.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

355OXO likes this.
  5. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Thanks for the followup, Silber. That 348 leather looks much improved in the overall shot. Would love to see a pic from the same perspective as your "before" image.

6. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Just used Leatherique Rejuvenating Oil and Pristine Clean on my 360 Spider interior. Excellent process and I have to say impressive results. I didn't leave the car out in the sun but left the Oil on for a few hours. Then put a sprayer on the Pristine Clean solution to apply and finish. Really conditions the leather nicely.

7. Silber

Silber Karting

Jun 6, 2014
    Switzerland
    #32 Silber, Sep 8, 2015
  8. Eli355

Eli355 Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Eli
    Leatherique is fantastic and easier to use that described. I applied rejuvenator with a spray bottle and messaged it in using a micro fiber soak in rejuvenator oil. By the time I finished my first pass it had soaked in so I did another pass. I left the leather moist but not wet. I did 3 cars in about 3 hours ( 1 575 and 2 911s, one with full leather the other with only leather seats). I did not do the sun or plastic bag thing but left the cars in a heated (65 degree) garage with a dedicated dehumidifier. Fast forward 24 hours, fantastic results on the 575. The seat leather was plump and smooth as a baby's behind. Absolutely fantastic. Not needed but I will do a pristine clean application this weekend. One 911, full leather with Supple leather seats, had great results on the dash and doors but ehh on the supple leather seats. It is strange leather to begin with, loose fitting and a thin, dry feel to it. After application it still feels dry. The other 911 with std leather seats came out nice. I love the product ant it is very easy and forgiving to use.

9. Bjames

Bjames Rookie

Nov 23, 2015
    What results would you expect if temperatures were cooler? Is it really just a time thing (leave it on longer) or is there a minimum temp you would recommend?

10. MaseratiCorse

MaseratiCorse Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2014
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Slightly off topic but is Leatherique rejuvenator + pristine also suitable for use on the steering wheel?

11. Jsf721

Jsf721 Karting

May 15, 2015
    that's like sanding the leather. I would never recommend.

Your actually removing some of the clear coat. I'd stop before you punch through.

12. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    It works also, but much slower; I can't put my cars under the sun, so I leave the seats of my 328s with the rejuvinator on the leather for about a month, then do the "prestine clean" cleaning, then wipe the seats with a humid cotton cloth, then wipe the humidity left with a clean cotton cloth (preferably an old, worn, cotton T-Shirt).
    I took me five years to bring the seats of my 328 GTB, doing the process three times a year (and believe me it is a PITA in that small cabin...) to the result I was hoping for, but I am now very pleased with that result. It is still the original leather that has not been sanded or agressed in any way, but it has lost its "plasticky" finish and is suppler. I'm very happy, but of course you must try it in a small spot before smearing the entire car; although I have never had any adverse result in the two F-Cars.

Rgds

13. jackgt

jackgt Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2015
    california
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I am happy that there is a discussion going on about this. The instructions for the Leatherique rejuvenator are not clear. It takes LOTS of the stuff, I smear it on by hand and leave it on for days. I just leave it on while I drive also. It gets sticky and I just clean it off with the cleaner and start over. I got car from a guy in the desert, no rust but the leather was dried in some spots. It seems to me that if the leather is not torn, it can be made as good as new.

14. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    For me: I am not saying it is the truth, but on my cars it works well:

1. "leather rejuvinator" applied with a toothbrush (not a "hard" grade one) to force it gently in the leather. Leave it for three to four weeks; do not touch it and do not sit on it
    2. "prestine clean" applied by hand; leave the leather alone for about 15 minutes
    3. wipe the seat gently with a cotton cloth (old worn T-shirt) humidified in water
    4. gently brush the seat with a DRY old cotton cloth (old worn T-Shirt).

Repeat two to three times a year on the GTB seats, three to four times a year on the GTS. Once a year for each car, treat all the leather (dash, parcel shelf, door panels, console, etc)

Rgds

15. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    #40 nerofer, Dec 9, 2015
    It's better with a pic: console and seats of my 328 GTB, # 81085, after five years of leatherique: note that the leather has lost its "plasticky" finish, and looks supple.
    It is of course the original leather. The car left the factory in April 1989, and has 32.000 miles / 51.000kms on the odo.

Rgds

16. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    what if you are pretty sure your seats have been resprayed?

Leatherique still a good idea?

17. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    #42 Jasonberkeley, Jun 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    I have that same question if anyone has any experience with this, or alternatively has experience with and can recommend a product to keep leather conditioned that may have been resprayed

18. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Leatherique is very mild. I can't imagine that it would hurt anything. I've tried a number of leather products and some have indeed left traces of dye on the towel but Leatherique never has. If it was my car I'd first try Leatherique on a small area before bothering with anything else. If you want something even milder consider Leathermasters. I'm not as impressed with it as I am certain other products but several people here like it and it seems to be about the mildest product I've tried. Another option is Connolly's leather care products-- the cleaner is very mild (you mix it yourself with distilled water) and the Hide Food... err, Hide Care (the nannies made them stop calling it food for fear some Darwin award winner would eat it) is my current favorite top coat.

19. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I've used leatherique on every exotic and daily driver I've owned for years, never a problem. But it just so happens I "think" I just used it for the first time over an area of resprayed leather in my new-to-me 2001 911 Carrera. I say "I think" because of the appearance of the area after application, not because I know it was resprayed, wasn't disclosed to me that it was. Initially after hitting the passenger seat for the first time, and it's clear the last owner didn't do much if any conditioning, leatherique brought out a patch on the right bolster that was lighter than all the rest of the seat. I was mildly curious to slightly concerned at first. But I've been hitting this car hard keeping a glaze of leatherique on most surfaces for half a year now bringing it back. That patch is no longer apparent. So I think based on my one experience is that it may bring out a temporary contrast between resprayed and original that will go away with time and additional treatments.

EDIT: Leather color is cinnamon, BTW.

20. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    #45 bernardo66, Aug 31, 2017
    I know that this post is 2 years old, but I went with your choice. Can't say I'm disappointed. :)

Apollo 11 likes this.