Leather Treatment | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Leather Treatment

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Ferris Bueller, Feb 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Mike - The stickiness might have disappeared if I had cleaned many more times. I didn't give it the benefit of doubt and especially since the leather color started to come off for every new clean. The whole interior was sent for redying - no sticky and clean fresh appearance.

I've also used it on my QP Evo and it also came out somewhat sticky. A few more cleans and it was all ok but this is a time consuming process that many find unattractive and unnecessary when newer easier products are available. I think the Leatherique is a product not to be rushed. It needs the time it needs and for sure on old leather that might be very dirty or full of previous years products. Only then can one get the result that it's known for and that is without a doubt great.

A

2. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I have never had stickiness as long as I strickly follow the instructions, which are: apply Rejuvinator Oil, then let leather soak it; apply prestine clean after the Rejuvinator has done its job for cleaning; then wipe the leather with a damp cloth; then polish with a cotton cloth (old T-Shirts are my favorite)
    Rgds.

3. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    I've also used Leatherique on my 328 since 2001; never had an issue. I do the full treatment once per year (in the Summer) and then use only the Prestine Clean to freshen up all the leather a couple of times a month year round.

4. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I did the Leatherique treatment on my 308 seats. It took the original dye off in splotches. Called the company and they told me that this is not unusual at all. They said to just re-dye the seats, and its no biggie.
    Really.....no biggie to re-dye original seats in a 20K mile car.

5. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    #30 Arvid, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I agree,the instructions are clear and straight forward so I've done nothing wrong. Nevertheless the seats and doorpanels where insanly sticky - even after several cleanups. As I've said,I believe it had something to do with the leathers condition or whatever had been put into the leather earlier. The color had oxidized,if one could call it that,to almost yellow and sheared color even with more gentle products as AutoGlym leather cleaner.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    What's a good treatment or cleaner to give the leather a dull look? I used leatherique on one of my seats and it's now shiny. I hate it.

7. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Shiny even after wiping down with a damp microfiber post-prestine clean? I'd try giving it a clean with a mild leather cleaner like Gliptone... applying and giving a gentle scrub with a soft brush, then wiping off with a clean microfiber. I'm a fan of Gliptone for regular upkeep and detailing, and the cleaner restores the fresh matte finish of the leather upholstery.

8. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Yes, I let the conditioner soak in, then cleaned it with their cleaner, wiped it down really good with a wet cloth, but it's completely shiny now.

9. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, I don't know about the "modern" leather in recent Ferraris, so it's difficult to say anything intelligent here. On the 328s, the original Conolly leather was slightly shiny, but leatherique doesn't make it shinyer at all. When wiping the cleaner (= "prestine clean")I use a damp cloth, but do not rub very strong...

Rgds

10. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
  11. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    I just clicked on the link and have to say I am curious about this. The reason I prefer Leatherique over the other brands is because it's oil based and other products I bought seem to be solvent based. Leather Honey seems to be oil based too.
    I googled places to buy and it's actually available at my local Walmart.
    I am going to buy it and try it out.

12. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    It should not be, Eric. I use Leatherique all the time and have never ended up with a shinny finish. Leatherique has a conditioner and a cleaner. You use the conditioner first followed up with the cleaner (Pristine Clean)

EDIT - saw this after:

Not sure why use used a wet cloth after the pristine clean - I don't do that.

13. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Hey Dave. How's it go?

Well, my directions said to use a damp cloth after the pristine clean application. Hmm. Now I have one perfectly dull seat and one glossy seat. Maybe I need a do over.

14. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    First mistake: you read the directions :D

Seriously, I've never done that. Never had a sheen after. Chemical guys conditioner is nice but that stuff leaves a sheen.

Try some pristine clean again and just buff dry :)

15. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, as for my cars: if I don't use the damp cloth, the leather remains slightly tacky.

Rgds

16. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ha. I usually don't follow, but that always gets me in trouble!

I'll give it a good clean and buff tonight when I get home!

Will let you know.

17. cscott

cscott Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Chris Scott
    I really like Kali Leather life. Easy to apply and smells good. Better than leatherique to me.

18. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    Anyone use Lexol cleaner and conditioner?

19. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I bought some a few years ago - not a fan.

20. nettwerkjohn

nettwerkjohn Karting

Mar 6, 2015
    Waikawa, Picton 7220
    Full Name:
    John Phillips
    I use the autoglym clean and leather balm.

21. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #46 miketuason, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. Einsteiger

Einsteiger Karting

Oct 9, 2014
    Overland Park, KS US
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    timjen88 likes this.
  23. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks Kevin!

24. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    That's not an easy one, because your leather is new and I would hate to give anyone an advice that would turn out to be the wrong one just by bad luck...(by this, I mean an unexpected reaction between product and leather, which could happen, because we never know).
    If the car was mine, I know I would use leatherique without hesitation (rejuvinator oïl, then prestine clean) once a year.
    BUT it is not my car, and I didn't had the hassle to find the leather, find the shop to do the work, paid the leather and the hours, so...

Rgds

25. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I did it over again this weekend. I just used a dry cloth after the pristine clean, still have a shinier look than my passenger seat. I need to take a picture so you know what I'm talking about.