Leather treatment | FerrariChat

Leather treatment

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Johnny Martin, Oct 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Johnny Martin

Johnny Martin Rookie

Feb 6, 2018
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Johnny Martin
    Any suggestions on what product to use for cleaning and conditioning the leather on my 458?

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    my favorite is zaino - smell the best. i used to think it was the zymol that i liked but then figured out its actually been the zaino fort the past 15 years.

DougFirstFerrari likes this.
  3. C1C7M

C1C7M Karting

Jun 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I've used Zymol for years but am not crazy about it in terms of either the smell or feel of the leather post-cleaning/conditioning. Anyone else?

4. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Tanner’s Preserve is nice.

5. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    My favorite for years was Leatherique ,but with the 458 switched to Gliptone Liguid Leather Conditioner. Service questions became poor, quality decreased with leatherique to say the least. Gliptone has a pleasant smell, works great and easy to apply. Can purchase also on Amazon. They make a cleaner also. For Alcantara you can't beat Sonax as a Cleaner, conditioner. Use small Horse hair/Boar brush-follow directions.

6. sandreb

sandreb Karting

Feb 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sander B.
    I like using Lexol cleaner and conditioner since they don't leave any greasy residue.

7. woody byrd

woody byrd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2006
    cary, nc
    Full Name:
    woody byrd
    I am on my second gallon of Leatherlique and think it is a very good product. HOWEVER if you want the same of similar results with a lot less effort try "Mink Oil Paste". You can buy it on line for around $4 can. Its like Paste wax. Rub it in and wipe it off, or let it sit for a couple of days. It will wipe clean with slightly more sheen, but will gradually dry down about the same. Western Stores that sell Saddles and TAC supplies sell it. Be careful NOT to use it on heated or cool with perforated leather, as it will fill the holes. If that should happen, take a tooth pick to fix it. I learned it at the National FCA from a guy with an old fifties Ferrari he had used it on since new. The leather was soft and still like new.

8. Johnny Martin

Johnny Martin Rookie

Feb 6, 2018
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Johnny Martin
    Well I should have known I would get several different opinions. Time to go to trying them. I use the Lexol product on my other cars but love the smell of the Ferrari leather and don’t wnant to loose it.

9. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

I had this out recently to clean and treat a razor strop after a nick repair, so here is picture of the Tanner’s Preserve packaging. I used to find it at Auto Zone so you could probably it check out for any odor there. I find it devoid of an odor so it should preserve your leather smell, or certainly not change or add to it.
    It provided a little more satin sheen on some new seats I’ve used it on. It also cleaned off some years of zymöl products very nicely, used on another car’s seats.

10. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Another plug for Zaino, they have a leather cleaner, and conditioner. Works great, smells like new, and easy to use!