Leatherique Custom Dye Issues | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Leatherique Custom Dye Issues

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Mike Morrissey, Apr 12, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Looking great in the photos. Any insight into how you're treating the stitching and any close-up photos of it? The one drawback I could foresee with the dye option is coverage to the stitching (admittedly I've never redyed leather with stitching, so it's a theoretical issue in my head to understand before diving in on committing to the process on a pair of seats).

2. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    #27 Mike Morrissey, May 20, 2022
    Last edited: May 20, 2022
    Thank you John, I installed the driver seat this morning, the color is an excellent match. I’ll definitely be spraying the passenger seat too. The HVLP spray gun is an excellent choice for large jobs, the gun doesn’t have to be anything too extravagant. I haven’t used one in 30 years, but with a little practice and adjustments to find the best fan, pattern and air pressure the results are amazing. The one I picked up was a cheapie.
    I updated the webpage with photos, attached are a few. Thank you again for your kind words and a good weekend to you too, and anyone else reading also!:)
    https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0k53qWtHJupWzd

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Thecadster likes this.
  3. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    Matt, A good technique to apply dye and avoid contact with stitching, is the use of vinyl electrical tape. Here is a link to a YouTube video describing the process.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Thecadster likes this.
  4. Autodetailing

Autodetailing Karting

Oct 5, 2021
    Full Name:
    John
    Matt - you are quite right here, re-colouring leather on a seat with contrasting stitching can be difficult.
    After making sure the seat is perfectly clean and dry, apply a good coat of " leather protector " over the top of the stitching, then dry with a hairdryer. I use Auto Leather protect from LTT of Harrogate in the UK.
    If possible, mask off over the top of the stitching. When you apply the new colour, do not apply wet coats with the spray gun, build up light dry coats, and dry in between coats with the hairdryer.
    Once dry, use a leather cleaner and microfibre cloth to wipe over the top of the stitching, if the leather protector has done its job the new colour should not have adhered correctly to the stitching.

Mike Morrissey likes this.
  5. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
  6. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    I could use some smarts in removing the headrest from my next seat re-dye, as my original is in better condition. Searching posts, I found the following:

There are 2 metal chrome clips that prevent the headrest from fully coming out. If you gently pull the top of the horizontal cushion (this is the inner part of the seat you rest against) toward you, you can gain enough access to remove those clips with some needle nose pliers.
    The head rests will then pull out with no drama.
    You do not need to remove the plastic grommets and when you reinstall the head rests you can leave the locking clips out if you wish.

I'm having trouble locating the clips mentioned. Attached is a photo of the upper left portion of my seat back, with the cushion pulled down, exposing the bottom of the headrest post. If someone could kindly explain where to look for the clips on each side, it would be most appreciated.o_O

7. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Match= only if it's black. Certainly Not what it used to be!

8. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
  9. Autodetailing

Autodetailing Karting

Oct 5, 2021
    Full Name:
    John
    Im not blowing sunshine up your **** Mike, but this whole project has turned out top notch, you must be pleased with the results?
    I have seen some terrible recolours and repairs, even by so called experts, which ruin the entire effect of the interior and bring the whole restoration down.
    I was at a local coffee and cars meet last month where i came across an almost identical F355, i wanted to talk to the owner and inform him of your thread as his seats were badly worn, but unfortunately he never came back to his car before i left.
    Based on the above i am sure you will be getting enquiries to do other peoples car seats!

10. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    Thank you for the kind words John. Yes, before I tackled this project I took my driver seat to a “local expert”, that’s why I decided to redo it myself. He tried twice on the color match. o_O

11. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    #36 Mike Morrissey, Jun 19, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
  12. Autodetailing

Autodetailing Karting

Oct 5, 2021
    Full Name:
    John
    Looks great Mike - so! when is your first outing to show off all of your hard work?

13. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    Here is a link to the post I made on my ashtray refinish. Note, a good hint is to place a spacer under the ashtray and when tightening, not too much torque. This helps prevent warping of the plastic over time. While the tunnel cover was removed, it was a good opportunity to see how much thickness was required. In my case I was surprised to find that I needed about 3/16 inch.
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/ashtray-refurbish.655271/
    And a link to Dave’s .pdf on ashtray repair.
    http://**********.com/Downloads/Sticky-RX-Refinishing-Solutions_Ferrari_F355%20Ashtray%20Frame%20Repair_REV000.pdf
    :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

ShineKen and Challenge like this.
  14. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    @Mike Morrissey I’m astonished by the quality of the work. Are you simply a DIY individual, or are you an actual professional? This could be a lucrative side hustle for you.

15. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    Thank you for the kind words! I’m just a DYI guy and first time working with leather. I did a lot of reading and some practice initially until deciding to use a HVLP spray gun, (haven’t used one of those in 30 years). I give a great deal of credit to the ColorPlus products. As far as doing this for a living, it’s not easy, respirator and eye protection and a lot of cleanup, but I have a great deal of love for my Ferrari! It’s keeping me young.:)

ShineKen and MAD828 like this.
  16. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Excellent work Mike!

17. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Hey Mike. Excellent work! Do you feel the need to do every piece to match or you think what you've done so far is good enough?

18. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    Thank you! My drivers seat was initially the main concern, as it was dyed by the second owner due to bolster wear and a poor match, at only 5 years and 11k miles. The first owner was rough on it. Also the lumbar support shaft was broken. Thus the find on eBay of a drivers seat. ColorPlus did a great match of the piece that I sent them for match, but of course with UV fading, color is a bit off in places. Never paying much attention as I am now, the lower "tan" portion of the dash has a much more yellow tint than the door cards which are both original. I notice this too on other cars, probably the process and lot from differing suppliers.

So, yes, I think I'm finished, the main reason for the tunnel cover work was to fix nicks and scratches.o_O

ShineKen likes this.
  19. Matt Andrews

Matt Andrews Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    I have similar issues to yours, but my driver seat is in worse condition. how difficult do you think prepping a seat that looks like the photo below would be for color? I've got the same seats you have. Did you bother to cover the stitching (I understand why you'd cover stitching of another color)? Or because they are the same color did you just spray them as well?

20. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    I didn’t cover the stitching and was surprised that the individual strands were still visible, not packed with dye and still a contrast. As displeased as I was with Leatherique dye, their prepping products are amazing if you haven’t used them. After following their directions I was very impressed with the outcome before the dye application. Since the seat will need a prepping process regardless, I would suggest that first before considering dye.

21. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    The products are less expensive if you order directly from their website rather than Amazon or detail shops.
    They have good instructions that are available for download. The process is, Rejuvenating oil first, followed by Pristine clean and finally the prepping agent. But only the prepping agent before a dye process. Crack fill is also available. http://www.leatherique.com/

Here’s a sample screenshot of the Prepping agent that you asked about. Again I have no relationship with this company, their products are very good but I’ve not had a good experience with her dye.

22. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    Matt, looking at the Amazon link that you posted, that’s a good price for that package. I’d hold off on the prep. agent until you see how those items work for you.

23. Matt Andrews

Matt Andrews Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    I've actually used the color-plus version of the cleaner and oils on this seat and whole interior. A lot of the car responds great to those products, but that seat bolster was just abused while it was dry too long. the photo above is actually AFTER detailing with those products.

24. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    The seat looks in pretty reasonable shape for the most part. Is that crack filler on the left bolster?