Lec ignored team orders | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Lec ignored team orders

Discussion in 'F1' started by Dimitar, Apr 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Absolutely. I don't understand why at this point Ferrari would tell a faster driver to hold back. For whatever reason Vettel was slow.
    It was a cylinder not combusting correctly and not the turbo on Leclerc's car.
    https://www.crash.net/f1/news/917002/1/ferrari-investigating-leclerc-engine-cylinder-problem

2. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    MalcQV likes this.
  3. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    MalcQV likes this.
  4. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Ultimately I'm not sure which is worse. I guess so long as they do not need to change the engine. I did read somewhere that they will run the engine for free practice in China. Does that however suggest they will change it for qualifying and the race?

5. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I think the running it in free practice would mean it was a turbo, not a cylinder, but I believe the story may have been an April fools joke. I imagine they will strip it as far as they can, check what they can and dyno it to diagnose the issue properly. They won’t have worked out yet what’s up and how to fix it I suspect

6. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    As I understood it, the engine was intact, only something failed, ie an electronics or some electro-mechanical item. And that item was probably diagnosed during the race. My guess is they can change that part, and probably did. So its wait and see what they do.

7. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Well, hopefully now Ferrari management realizes that their new shoe is the coming deal and their
    old reliable is set to be elbowed out of the way. If Leclerc's performance on the weekend wasn't
    indication enough, who knows what is?

Watching their lines from the on-board video, Vettel is up over the kerbs, squirrely on the way out
    and Leclerc so within himself, easy in, easy out, no kerb hopping completely under control, he makes
    it all look so easy and Vettel is peddling as fast as he can just to keep up.

Ferrari now has the best driver in F1. They better be grooming him appropriately.

BHW

catdog, jgonzalesm6 and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  8. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Another race weekend with the wonder kid showing Vettel the way and he is Toast

catdog, jgonzalesm6 and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  9. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I noticed the same thing and honestly, it surprised me. Seb had to have known Leclerc was behind him and was probably pushing the car hard. If so, then I feel Vettel is already mentally gone for the season (just noticed you said the same thing Simon!).

catdog likes this.
  10. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Good for leclerc. He’s not limp like Kimi, massa and barichello. It’s about time ferrari had two top drivers. He’s got potential that’s for sure.

I wouldn’t write Vettel off yet. Sometimes it’s good to have proper competition in the team as it forces both drivers to strive for a higher level of performance. In previous years Vettel was just coasting as he had a second tier team mate and the permanent easy excuse to blame the Ferrari car for not being as fast as the Merc. Not this year! It’s going to be a great season! :)

daytona355 and 375+ like this.
  11. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Didn't Vettel avoid team orders a time or two in the past?

12. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Multi 21 ..yeh Multi 21!:mad:

Leclerc had his fill of team orders in Melbourne...he played the white man then, but now it's every man for himself.

TexasF355F1 and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  13. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Why is everybody slandering about Melbourne? Seb was faster that day until he had technical problems... IF Vettel would have catched up on Charles this weekend and nobody behind them, would people complain if Ferrari would have kept CHarles in front simply because he deserved it??? I doubt, so why do people behave like CHarles was outpacing Seb in Melbourne and the evil Ferrari pits called him off?

Bas and Isobel like this.
  14. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    An Italian friend once offered this advice to me about driving in Italy, and it seems fitting to Leclerc's move on Vettel

"It is not whether what you do is strictly legal, but it is about the confidence and style with which you do it"

It is good that Leclerc is bold and thinks for himself. it is better that he overtook Vettel swiftly, decisively and safely when a good opportunity presented itself. That latter piece, more than anything, is what has me excited to watch him develop. Lots of drivers disobey team orders. Lots of drivers race their teammates. Charles did both, but in the best possible manner.

cairns, catdog, daytona355 and 5 others like this.
  15. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    #40 Ferrari 308 GTB, Apr 2, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    I have no doubt at that IF Vettel had caught the crippled Leclerc he would have just driven straight past him ...no doubt at all.

or spun LOL

16. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    I think quali will be 50/50 this year. Eclair blew the start and almost came together with Urkel, the reason why Vettel was in front of him in the first place. Vettel is canny enough to know they’ll be other days ahead and he can rightfully ask Eclair to make it an easy tussle in future when his car is better.
    I’m pleased eclair can think for himself, but his machine was a rocket, not much thought required when you’re in the quickest cart. Very similar to Bottles supremacy with Lewis in Oz, outside of the outcome of course.

17. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Izzy, i somehow have a feeling you're not yet sold to Charles charms :)

18. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Let me guess: you make this up because of an incident ages ago

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

19. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    These days, I don't think it'd be wise for Leclerc to be that close to Vettel's eventual spin. :p

20. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    No, if you come up behind a much slower car you overtake ,team orders are another matter altogether.

21. Marko747

Marko747 Rookie

Mar 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    Marko Zarko
    I just hope Seb will keep his cool even IF Charles continues to dominate the upcoming races, otherwise this may turn ugly quite soon. The material is too on-par with Mercedes, meaning they need to keep working hard as a team and not pin against each other over some ego BS. Not quite sure if we can expect cool head from Seb throughout the year under these circumstances, but certainly hope I'm wrong.

22. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians

23. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I could be mistaken but honestly think Charles is a humble guy, very down to earth, of course only time will tell....as for stroll, i bet your cat could drive faster than him!...and with a lot more panache!

Nortonious and stavura like this.
  24. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Soooo they turned down Leclerc power for disobeying team orders..............:p

Nortonious likes this.
  25. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    (@Isobel ideaology) Stroll is one of us. We are Stroll.;)

Nortonious and Isobel like this.