LED bulbs for taillights ?? | FerrariChat

LED bulbs for taillights ??

Discussion in '360/430' started by Crazyfcar, Oct 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Crazyfcar

Crazyfcar Rookie

Sep 21, 2017
    Full Name:
    James Candelmo
    I'm removing the rear grill on my 360 spider and was wondering if anyone knows the correct part numbers or have a good source for all the bulbs in the tail lights including the stop, turn and back up bulbs. They can probably be found on eBay but I have no idea what size or bulb number to buy. I'd like to remove the rear grill panel for some other work and would like to reinstall it the same day and would like to have the bulbs ready to install.

Also need the third brake light on the engine lid.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

2. chdavis

chdavis Karting

Sep 19, 2015
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Scuding Swiss has some very good options.

F1Spider and whatheheck like this.
  3. Crazyfcar

Crazyfcar Rookie

Sep 21, 2017
    Full Name:
    James Candelmo
    Thanks. I need to find out the bulb numbers so I can conduct a little research and shop around.

I'm 360 Canuck and F1Spider like this.
  4. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    You can find them in the WSM/OM.

5. Crazyfcar

Crazyfcar Rookie

Sep 21, 2017
    Full Name:
    James Candelmo
    Thanks. I should have conducted a little search on the forum first, found the sizes in another discussion. I haven't acquired a WSM yet but should shortly. Tail lamps/stop lamps are 1157, back up & turn signal are 1156.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  6. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    That information won't do you much good. The system monitors the tail lights and the F1 won't go into gear if the bulbs are burned out. The LEDs draw so little current they confuse the system. You can work the rest out from there.

whatheheck likes this.
  7. Crazyfcar

Crazyfcar Rookie

Sep 21, 2017
    Full Name:
    James Candelmo
    Seriously ?? The taillight bulbs control whether the car goes into gear ? Guess I'll be scrapping all the bulbs I just bought. I'm full blood Italian and am proud and love the country and the cars that come out of there but the engineers at Ferrari are about as intelligent as the other European manufacturers, and that's not a compliment.

8. vv23

vv23 Karting

Jan 8, 2009
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Full Name:
    V V
    U can use the LEDs. Just add a couple resistors to the brake LEDs and it should trick the car.

9. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    VV23 is kind of right but you need to know what you are doing. You can user resistors to spoof the system but you need power resistors, not small resistors. A few on this board have done the change.

10. vv23

vv23 Karting

Jan 8, 2009
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Full Name:
    V V
    Yup. Standard 50W 8ohm or 6ohm should work.

My F430 has LEDs all around the car...only needed resistors for the front signal bulbs.

11. Crazyfcar

Crazyfcar Rookie

Sep 21, 2017
    Full Name:
    James Candelmo
    Thanks. Is there a DIY step by step anywhere ? Although I'm fairly good at auto restoration, I've never been to versed on the electrical portions. I can do the work, I just need a step by step procedure to follow so I don't destroy the car.

12. vv23

vv23 Karting

Jan 8, 2009
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Full Name:
    V V
    The resistor will have two wires. Connect one to the positive and one to negative for the wires going to the bulb. Doesn't usually matter which goes to where.

That's it. Done. Double sided tape it somewhere where its not touching anything as the resistors get hot.

13. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I've done a lot of LED mods on all my cars.
    I've used those load resistors in the past. Just be careful as those load resistors get really really hot especially if lights are left on for an extended period.

I dont recommend load resistors.

Skidkid likes this.
  14. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Yep and an 1157 has a 21 watt bright element. A 6 watt resistor can easily burn up and be a fire hazard if the duty cycle is very high or duration on is very long. That is why commercial kits don't solve the problem that way.

15. F1Spider

F1Spider Karting

Jan 8, 2013
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    I used Scuding Swiss and paid for their conversion LED running light kit and paid for it in Swiss Francs. I love they use a light bar for the third brake light versus the dot matrix OEM. Also, all four rear round lights illuminate when lights are on and when you brake versus just the inside or outside rear brake lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. CCRider66

CCRider66 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Sussex, WI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Not true. I've replaced all my lights with run of the mill LED's from Autozone. My car drives fine. Blinkers blink fast but I plan to buy a load balancer like the one I have on my Harley when I switched all those to LEDs too.

F1Spider likes this.
  17. dang2407

dang2407 Karting

Apr 29, 2017
    SW France
    Really? That means you could get stranded if a bulb burns out...

18. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    There are some threads here about that. You can do a search.

And a former member actually designed an ECU to bypass that Ferrari feature that wont allow the transmission to engage if the brake lights are burned out as cars behind you can rear end you if the brake light bulbs are out so it becomes a safety issue.

See here: https://www.scuding.com/Shop/en/360-modena-challenge-stradale/68-no-f1-failure-brake-light-connection-cable.html

Only one way to find out - remove your tail light bulb(s) and see if you get an F1 failure light and see if you can engage your gears.

I will try and do this / confirm this once I get back from vacation.

Dan

19. ICULUKN

ICULUKN Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2007
    Ahwatukee AZ
    Full Name:
    G.P.
    Scuding stuff is plug and play... tried and tested... some of you like to tinker... I am more of a 'use what works' kinda guy... im not one to reinvent the wheel.

20. jjrho

jjrho Rookie

Jun 11, 2017
    Redlands, CA
    Full Name:
    james R
    #20 jjrho, Oct 20, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    I got the full scud LED kit and 3rd brake flasher module too... it's super bright and got the all 4 lights On version; which makes it look nicer at night....
    it's not cheap but was nice easy install...
    I will post pictures of my install and what it looks like...

need to get their turn sig. flasher too and do the front turn sigs as well....

I have tried 1156/7 LEDs from ebay; becareful......some are cheaply made and burn out early...
    the phillips ultinon and other name brand ones are prob. better....

one of the ways to avoid a load resistor is to get the electronic flasher relay from scudding ...it will also do 3 flashes per tap, etc etc. and makes extra audible noise, etc...

then you can put any of the LED bulbs that are out there w/o impedance issues... that load resistor gets HOT... no good.... plus you are burning the electricity into head..... negates having an LED bulb... well, the crisp bright on /off is still there but....

jR

21. dang2407

dang2407 Karting

Apr 29, 2017
    SW France
    Fortunately I will never have that problem in my manual... :cool:

whatheheck likes this.
  22. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Yep, I too have the Scud Ing Swiss LED kit including the front turn signal, 3rd brake light and the smart turn signal solid state ECU. 1,000% happy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

23. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    So presumably not a concern for 6mt cars?

24. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    True