LED Headlight Upgrade! | FerrariChat

LED Headlight Upgrade!

Discussion in '308/328' started by Cape308, Jan 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cape308

Cape308 Karting

Mar 13, 2014
    Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    Peter Zawadzki
    #1 Cape308, Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    OK... so it was time for me to actually light the road ahead of me when I drive at night. I ended up buying the following:

Semi-Sealed Beam Chrome Crystal Headlights:

H6014 H6015 H6024 7" Round Semi SEALED Beam Chrome Crystal Headlights Conversion | eBay

And some pretty awesome LED H4 bulbs:

OPT7 Dual Motorcycle LED Headlight Replacement H4 9003 Bulb CREE 80W White 6000K | eBay

The results are beyond amazing!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    So it looks like the bulbs are a single brightness, unless I'm misreading the ad. Do you have a high-beam capability in each light now?

3. Cape308

Cape308 Karting

Mar 13, 2014
    Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    Peter Zawadzki
    Yup, high beams work.... although not sure i will ever need to see three counties away!

4. ddenboer

ddenboer Karting

Sep 11, 2015
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    David denBoer
    What does it look like under the hood?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Are those the low beam lights shown in your photos? If so, it doesn't look like there is any horzontal cutoff to prevent glare from blinding oncoming drivers, as provided in good halogen H4 lights like Cibie, Bosch, Hella, or in the single unit LED 7" round lights from Truck-lite.

6. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I bought the truck-lite's but if these work, they sure are a lot cheaper.

7. Cape308

Cape308 Karting

Mar 13, 2014
    Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    Peter Zawadzki
    #7 Cape308, Jan 12, 2016
    There is a horizontal cutoff see the image below. The other picture was with the lights to close to the door.

Love the look as it's more stock looking then the other options.

8. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    You're showing the old lens/lamp vs the new lens/lamp. Is there a difference with the original bulb using the new crystal lens? Or the original lens using the new bulbs?

9. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Any pics of the wiring? Any changes from the original sealed beam?

10. Cape308

Cape308 Karting

Mar 13, 2014
    Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    Peter Zawadzki
    Wiring is plug and play!

11. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
    The eBay ad says they are not compatible ?

12. Cape308

Cape308 Karting

Mar 13, 2014
    Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    Peter Zawadzki
    no compatible because the 308 has sealed beam lights. If you buy the semi sealed lights you can install them, it's just plug and play!

13. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    US-spec 308s came with sealed beam headlights - Euro-spec 308s probably had replaceable bulb halogen lights (they did for sure by the QV era)

14. E-Dino

E-Dino Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2012
    San Diego
    My review of the LED lights:
    I needed LED lights for the electric MG project so I bought the products from the links above. Thanks Peter for finding them and sharing. So for the MG they are a great fit. The 7 inch glass headlights were pretty good quality considering they were just $26 each. I liked them because they were shiney and reflective which was important for the MG look. I was not crazy about the Truck Light ones because they seemed darker, not important for the 308 because they are usually down when not on. Anyway, they look good on the MG. The H4 LED bulb was interesting and seems pretty good for the MG. As noted above, there is no High beam. Both low and high pull the same 1.4 amps at 12 volts. This is OK for the MG because I am not driving much at night. The lights do have this weird fan that you can hear in the MG because it is so quiet. Probably not much of an issue for the 308. Overall good lighting at night for the price. I am probably going to buy as set with smaller diameter for the Dino. I will leave the high beams as is, and just update the lows. Anyway good find in my opinion.

15. airdelroy

airdelroy Formula Junior

May 10, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Richardson
    No high beams? Are they just not needed because the LEDs light the road up further?

I also have an MG and would consider this upgrade, but I travel out where the deer roam (no buffalo) and use my high beams regularly.

thanks,
    Aaron

16. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Around here, both high and low are required to pass inspection.

The OP indicated there was a high beam; the MG guy says there is not. I'm a bit confused at the moment.

17. E-Dino

E-Dino Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2012
    San Diego
    Maybe I need to be a little clearer on my testing. The lamp has three wires, low, high and ground. It pulls the same current no matter how you power it, i.e low hot, high hot and both low and high hot. I can not see any difference in brightness either. So technically, it has a high beam, but it is not any different from low beam. I hope that helps.

18. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven

H4 beams have a bulb with 2 wires. One for the high and one for the low beam. Power output of both is the same and they not run together. If you switch from low to high the current will indeed be the same.

The reflector of the lamp however will spread the light different. With the low beam you will have a clear horizontal cutoff with the high beam you dont have this.

19. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
    How many bulbs used inside the headlight?

20. E-Dino

E-Dino Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2012
    San Diego
    I guess I just thought that high would pull more current like the old sealed beams. After looking closer the high beams might be a little brighter but I don't see a huge difference in the pattern.

21. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Almost, but not exactly the same current. Standard H4 bulbs are 60W high beam, 55W low beam.
    And then there are the 100/90W bulbs for motor racing purposes, which I once tried and cost me a cracked lens.

Best Regards
    Martin

22. Ladybegood

Ladybegood Karting

Feb 17, 2012
    Derbyshire, GB
    I have fitted these on my 84 euro and they are excellent

23. 308Hutch

308Hutch Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    #23 308Hutch, Feb 4, 2016
    Paul -

Those look good on the MG... thanks for sending pics. Can't wait to swap cars for a drive around San Marcos... :) Awaiting word from Rocky on the return of the 308.... soon.

Just stumbled across these LED's. Anyone try em? Gonna get a pair for the 1980 Fiat 124 (1980) EV project. Same issue as you had with full time exposure on exterior image.... a little more $ but love the sealed beam LEDS.... last time I'll every monkey with them after install!

Pair of 7" Round High Low Beam SEALED 5 LED Headlight Replacement Lamps | eBay

Hutch

24. NW328GTS

NW328GTS Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Hal
    I changed out the sealed beams in my 328 for a set of Hella 7" and H4 bulbs. Just that was a big improvement because the Hella's are much better reflectors than the sealed ones. I got the Hella replacements on Amazon for about $75 for the pair including a pair of H4's. Not sure how bright the LED H4's are but i will look into it if one of my existing H4's dies. Since I already changed out the housings.. changing to LEDs is just an LED bulb swap. I heartliy recommend changing out the reflector housings. Simple and a 25% or better improvement in the light beam.

25. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Bump!

What's the state of the art in LED headlights now? Still the Truck-Lites?