Left hand drive TVR ??? | FerrariChat

Left hand drive TVR ???

Discussion in 'British' started by Scuderia_Ferrari, Mar 13, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scuderia_Ferrari

Scuderia_Ferrari Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    #1 Scuderia_Ferrari, Mar 13, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just saw this picture of a TVR Tuscan on exoticspotters.com and noticed it was a left hand drive. I thought TVR only made right hand drive cars ??? Is it a conversion?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    They will make them however yo uwant. Pretty easy for them to do.

--Dan

3. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    Just like Ferrari, if you pay them enough, they will do just about anything for you.

4. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    TVR Tuscans have a six cylinder engine which is mounted longitudinally. It is not symmetrical side to side. In RHD cars, the steering column has plenty of clearance. In LHD cars, besides having to mirror most things in the dash and footwells, some cables and the throttle linkage has to be redone. In addition, the column itself now needs to clear the exhaust headers, which is actually not trivial. They have started doing LHD cars for the continent in their latest models, but development is ongoing. It's not perfect, and they don't want to spend the money on the tooling to make mirror image components that would make this trivial.

That's TVR for you. Great cars. Wish they were sold here.

5. Ducky355

Ducky355 Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2005
    Oaks, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    #5 Ducky355, Mar 14, 2006
  6. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    That works too. :)

7. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    #7 Zertec, Mar 14, 2006
    4rextc likes this.
  8. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    #8 Zertec, Mar 14, 2006
    4rextc likes this.
  9. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    You need to show more pictures of that Griffith!

10. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
  11. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I have it on good authority that TVR never made a LHD Cerbera, Tuscan Mk 1, or Tamora. Also, the LHD Chimaeras and Griffiths were produced by the Malaysian factory--some of these were shipped to Britain as SKDs (semi knock-down kits) for final fitment and sale to customers in Continental Europe. The Blackpool factory never seriously looked at LHD cars before the current gen of cars.

This was before the two factories had a "falling out," which resulted in them going their separate ways. So far as I know (and again, I have it on good authority), the Malaysian factory is now focusing on a four-cylinder economy car, amoung other ventures.

If TVRs made LHD cars, how come you are having to do the conversion yourself? Both Singapore and GB are RHD...so why are you even bothering?

Also, didn't you sell TVR parts in England through your company Zertec? Is that still ongoing? I couldn't find a website? (The link the website didn't work)

Good to have you here, and I look forward to learning more about this cool company! Thanks! :cool: Also, I LOVE the redesign/rebody!

12. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    TVR Sports Malaysia, a completely independent company from TVR Engineering Ltd, only made Chimaeras and yes some were exported back to the UK, however, they mainly dealt with Asia and Australasia. Peter Wheeler and TVR Sports Malaysia did fallout however the management of TVR Sports Malaysia was taken over about two or three years ago shortly before Peter sold TVR Engineering Ltd. I understand that Peter is again becoming involved in the automotive field. Prior to the takeover I was in discussion with TVR Sports Malaysia to produce a brand new modular sports car that I had designed. I put this on hold following the takeover. I don't know what TVR Sports Malaysia are currently focusing on. Crichton Brown (ex McLaren cars) and a few others in a consortium had been (previously) trying to buy TVR Engineering and set up manufacturing in Brazil but that fell through.

TVR Engineering Ltd did make left-hand drive Cerberas, Griffiths and Tuscans but all these cars were built to order and therefore rare. The Zertec Griffith is not destined for Singapore but is bound for the Philippines where it needs to be left-hand drive. An enormous number of problems cropped up in doing the conversion not the least of which was the gear shift linkage. The experience has been valuable in connecting me to the right workshops here in Singapore and I have paid the workshops back with fresh ideas, innovation and design input for the workshops' other projects.

Zertec (my daughter's initials; Zoe Emma Reed + Tec) did design and produce many innovative parts and accessories for TVR and some for Lotus, however, when I moved to Singapore it became harder and harder to control suppliers and even worse customers. I eventually stopped although at some stage in the future I may revitalise the TVR business. I did a small amount of design consultancy work for various automotive and other concerns while I was still in England. I haven't bothered with the website for the last couple of years, but I may make a new one when the Mondial Z is finished. I'm currently focusing on this project and the spin-offs such as fixed back racing seats, reclining racing style seats, electro-luminescent technology and a few other interesting things. I really could do with looking at the new Ferrari (after)market as most of the add-on products I see and the designs are not (IMHO) very good yet they are very expensive. I am producing a sample Kevlar fixed back racing seat which will be trimmed in leather with Daytona style detailing along with a few "Zertec" design touches soon.

It is nice to hear support for the Mondial Z as there are not too many people who put their thoughts into a posting on the thread. If there is enough interest in the initial versions then I will be able to produce the three seater version which will be extremely cool.

4rextc likes this.