left hand turn fuel starvation | FerrariChat

left hand turn fuel starvation

Discussion in '206/246' started by raywong, Jan 20, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. raywong

raywong Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Raymond
    my engine burbles a lot during left hand turn, the condition worsen going up hill. It happens even on very slow turns.

Also, it tends to stall when I hit the gas quick at low speed and low rpm. For example: in 1st gear, throttle at 10%, 1800rpm cruising, quickly open up throttle to 40% will cause engine to stall, at this point I must ease off the throttle to prevent stalling.

I had my engine rebuilt 12 months ago, but it still does that. The dealer said these conditions are considered normal even when it was brand new. How crazy??

2. andy246GT

andy246GT Rookie

Feb 1, 2008
    Birmingham, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy E.
    RAY,

Its not meant to do that. I get a little bit of fuel starvation if i take a left hand bend really hard, and when the engine is really cold the power can drop a little if i am in too high a gear, low revs and floor it, but thats all.

No doubt some of the more technically minded will give you specific advice on what the cause of the problem may be, but it sounds to me like you are being strung a line by the person who rebuilt the engine. If you find someone who understands these engines/ carbs, i doubt it will be too complicated to get it set up right.

Andy

3. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    Ray,
    Your mechanic doesn't have a clue. All Dinos stall in a hard left turn at speed with throttle closed. G forces keep gas in float bowl on right side of carb. Idle jets on left side of carbs get no gas. If you keep throttle open you can minimize it. Main jets work fine all the time. This stall only happens occasionally but has caused a lot of mechanics to use it as an excuse for bad tuning. A properly set-up Dino is very tractable. Carbs have to be ballanced, jets clean, distributor timing according to the book, proper plugs. Set Idle speed for 1000 rpm and the car should be trouble free for 10-15,000 miles. Take a look at the Table of Sagas in my Corner and read the Carb and Distributor Sagas. Not a big deal, just take it one step at a time. You will be delighted when things are right.
    John

4. raywong

raywong Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Raymond
    Thanks for the advice! My car only stalls on left hand turn, it has no problem at all in even the really sharp right hand turns. Maybe the mechanic was tuning my car on a tilted floor?