Leiters is OUT ! End of the V12? | FerrariChat

Leiters is OUT ! End of the V12?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JTSE30, Dec 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    https://europe.autonews.com/move/ferrari-reorganizes-leadership-3-top-execs-leave

This appears to be devastating news for the future of combustion Ferraris...Leiters has been proclaiming his 'fight' for the V12 over the past 2+ years, now he is gone?

from link above:

The three executives include Chief Technology Officer Michael Leiters, who oversaw the development of the first series Ferrari hybrid cars: the SF90 Stradale, the automaker's first plug-in hybrid launched in 2019, and its first plug-in hybrid V6, the 296 GTB, launched earlier this year.

Leiters had held the post since 2014, when he moved to Ferrari from Porsche.

The other two executives are Chief Manufacturing Officer Vincenzo Regazzoni and Chief Brand Diversification Officer Nicola Boari.

The managers "will end their cooperation with Ferrari to pursue new opportunities," the company said in a statement on Monday.

The management shake-up is one of the first major moves of Ferrari's new CEO Benedetto Vigna, who took on the role in June with a task to drive the automaker into the new era of electrification.

@day355 comments?

2. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    These 3 achieved a lot of success and now poached for elsewhere
    So I dont think the V12 is tied to whether Lieters is there or not

3. 4_Eff_Sake

4_Eff_Sake Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Poached? Three of them? Simultaneously?

Sounds more to me like they were all shown the door

Doug., LARRYH, paulchua and 4 others like this.
  4. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    He was the voice "fighting" for the V12, he even repeated that at the SP3 reveal. He has been quite vocal and involved. I think his removal (I do not believe he was poached) is symbolic of where Ferrari is headed...

5. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    V12 has a lot of supporters Lieters was definitely the most public

6. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    And that's my point, because he was the leader for engine development, his sudden removal speaks volumes of Ferrari's direction...without a capable and strong leader the engine development will be impaired, or, at worst, dismantled. We will have to wait until January 10 to see who the new leader will be, could be a pleasant surprise or....

F2003-GA likes this.
  7. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    The V12s will always live in Ferraris, who cares if they wont build them new anymore, they are not the same company anyhow. All V12 F car owners will always be able to enjoy their cars, and there will always be plenty of pre owned V12 Ferraris available for purchase. Is anyone really surprised after the idiots at the helm decided to build an SUV, good grief. I guess there is a thread about an all electric Ferrari in 2025, so there you go. Im 57, Im convinced that whatever time I have left here, I will be able to drive a Ferrari with a gas powered motor, thats all I care about, maybe If Im blessed enough, it will be a V12 !! lol

Thank you

Doug., roma1280, Shahaf and 20 others like this.
  8. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    A lot, but not in public.

LVP488, Spet00, crinoid and 3 others like this.
  9. vonbeeler

vonbeeler Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Agreed.
    At 54 I’ve got my 812.
    Worst case I’ll take it to the end and I’m content with that.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

10. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO

Wow ! 812 IS my dream machine !!! You will never ever need another !!

Thank you

vonbeeler and JTSE30 like this.
  11. SirTony76

SirTony76 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    MN
    Hmmm, concerning...my next buy might have to be the Aventador replacement, unfortunately

F2003-GA likes this.
  12. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Sounds like the Summer of 1988.

technom3 likes this.
  13. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    I'm leaning that way too but will have to wait and see what the exact specs are

14. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
  15. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    New CEO obviously has support from the board, these are no small changes and we don't really know how it all played out, maybe find out later on. Probably easier to make these announcements in one shot if they left for different reasons etc. I am sure Ferrari will be ok for the future, time will tell and while that is happening plenty of epic cars they have created to go around :)

16. SirTony76

SirTony76 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    MN
    Agreed. The Aventador replacement also might make SF90s a bit more reasonable too, but the V12 is what's important here!

F2003-GA likes this.
  17. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    A future V12 would have been too puny in all likelihood anyway. Better to go out at a manly 6.5 litre. If you don't own a nice NA V12 now then it might be time to get serious.

George Vosburgh and JTSE30 like this.
  18. Nikkososa

Nikkososa Rookie

Apr 7, 2016
    Doug., Apex Ace, Solid State and 8 others like this.
  19. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
    before mr leiters, it was legendary roberto fedely. and after his departure we haven't seen things that much deteriorated...

20. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    I dunno, from the outside looking in, without having followed him closely, the guy who was the CTO over the SF90 and the 296 is no champion of the V12 regardless of what he said publicly.

21. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    I suspect the FIRING of Leiters is more important as it indicates where the company is going.

Mr Fedeli was with Ferrari for a long time and resigned, not fired...

https://www.autoblog.com/2014/10/08/bmw-hires-ferrari-chief-engineer-fedeli/

Fedeli has been with Ferrari since 1988 and led the engineering for the famous Italian automaker's vehicles since 2007. Fedeli tendered his resignation in September at around the same time that chairman Luca di Montezemolo announced his decision to leave the company. However, Ferrari told ANE that there was no connection between the two events.

22. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Ah, the same fellow that created the engines used in the 812C/CA and SP1,SP2 and SP3? Tried to minimize the impact of regulation-required GPFs? Do realize that Leiters was not the owner of the company, he still had a boss(es) and projects assigned.

F2003-GA likes this.
  23. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Like all of us, I speak with my wallet (or man purse)....if a manufacturer does not care to make what I want, no problem. I’ll just keep enjoying my antiquated mid-engine, manual transmission, no top; silky smooth roaring V-12 (non-Ferrari).

LARRYH and Fynmere like this.
  24. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    There was never a question of what engine those cars would use. You're never going to completely switch the engine type of a car for a special edition.

Under Leiters Ferrari has spent way more on developing hybrid technology than V12. Look at their lineup when he joined vs today. Sure, maybe he's been fighting his bosses that change tooth and nail and really wants to be dropping NA V12s in everything... but it doesn't seem likely to me. Heck even if he has been fighting it, he's obviously been ineffective at it. I don't see it as any big loss.

_CoA likes this.