LeMans Cars | FerrariChat

LeMans Cars

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Attitude928, Jul 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Attitude928

Attitude928 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    Its recently been a treat to see a variety of types of race cars that have competed in LeMans. This included seeing a 250TR up close at my Maserati mechanic's shop (Autoelite in Fort Lee, NJ) and seeing Mr. G's racecars at his shop at the end of the Enzo Who Run.

I brought my Jaguar 420 in for some work today at Coventry Imports in Bridgewater, NJ and got to see the owner's Jaguar D-type race car (#574) up close: The car has the chassis from a car that was smuggled from
    England to Canada but a fellow named Thompson. The hemi, triple Weber 300bhp 3.8 liter engine and hood are from a different race car (see pic with two engine numbers). This D-type is therefore a partial replication.

Ferrari won plenty of Lemans races (375 Plus in '54, 250TR in '58, '60 & '61, 330TRI in '62, 250P in '63, 275P in '64, and 250LM in '65). While the D-type finished second in '54, the D-type '55 win was tainted by the accident involving a Mercedes-Benz 300SL that caromed off an Austin-Healy and into the crowd, and killed 80 people. A Mercedes was leading when they withdrew and handed the win to the D-type. A private race team won Lemans in D-types in '56 and '57.

2. Attitude928

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    It is a long nose version with a smaller wing. It holds 130 liter of fuel. The owner fashioned his own fuel gauge. The car typically had no speedometer, but the owner, Dan Kruze, put one in to comply with NJ law (he drives the car on both street & track - just like Jim). The exhaust was moved out from under the car to its port side. Top speed is 187 mph. 87 were built.

3. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Awesome Shaguar, D Types rule :)

4. Attitude928

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    The happy owner/racer/mechanic holding for dear life onto his Momo steering wheel.

5. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    D-types are great - very nice indeed. They are so small in person! I like the C-type very much as well, but my true love is the XK-SS. Why do I always like the rarest cars? :) I saw an XK-SS in person - I think it was at Gregor Fisken in London - many years ago, and... WOW.

6. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    Are you sure of the chassis number? (I can't read the plate.) XKD-574 was destroyed in the fire at the Jaguar factory in February 1957. I hate to start another one of "those" threads, but the chassis did not survive.

7. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    The chassis plate in the photo clearly shows "XKD 574." The car was, indeed, destroyed in the factory fire on 12 February, 1957. I suppose the story is now that someone discovered the charred remains in a junkyard near Browns Lane! Here we go...

8. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I still don't get some of you Americans thinking. The car has a genuine D-type chassis, a genuine D-type engine a genuine D-type hood ... and it is a replica???

Why does a car have to have the same engine it left the factory with to NOT be considered a replica? Remember a D-type engine is simply a 3.8 straight 6 engine as fitted to the MkII Jaguar with a wide angle cylinder head. Some had fuel injection fitted and later on the racing E-types (I think) had alloy blocks. But I am pretty sure a D-type is still the production based block ... thus any old Jaguar 3.8 litre engine is valid for a genuine D-type as a replacement.

If a car has a genuine engine replaced with another genuine engine made by the original maker it does not become a replica. It just is not the same as the build sheet for the car, that is all.

If you buy a 360 Ferrari and the engine blows and the cheapest way of fixing the car is to buy a brand new engine from Ferrari and replace the original engine ... that car is STILL a 360 Ferrari and not a replica. It is just a 360 Ferrari with a new engine.

Back to this D-type. If the body has been remade then the body is a replica but that does not make the whole car a replica, simply the car has been rebuilt with new body, replicating the original as close as possible.

You Americans make it seem that if the tyres are replaced the WHOLE car becomes a replica ... crazy. It is still a genuine car with just new tyres.

Cars are made out of many parts, to keep cars going you have to replace some of those parts. Manufacturers of cars even help us by making replacement parts (these are called spare parts, and if you go down to your local Ford, etc. dealership they even have staff working in the spare parts department). They are thus 100% genuine and original parts made for that make of car that you own ... and using them does not turn your car into a replica.

Pete's so confused with the American viewpoint ...
    EDIT: The interesting thing about this car is again it was reported to being destroyed.

I know the car that did win the '55 race only actually raced once as the same collection of parts. This car was then hacked about and used as a test rig for the E-type development (I believe). Many years ago somebody clicked on how special the chassis was and then went about putting all the parts that it raced at Le Mans in 55' with back together ... now I doubt whether they got everything dead right, but lets say the engine was reunited with the same chassis, etc. Thus this was another car considered lost ... and now found again

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I thought all D-type's exhausts exited out the side? ... or though they might have been more enclosed by the body work ... ?

Pete's rambling

10. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Pete:

Here's a different word for it then.

Bitsa.

As in, bits of this and bits of that...

11. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    What engine number is the car running? The chassis plate shows E2085-9 which was the original lump in XKD 574.

12. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Like that term and far better than the incorrect term of replica. Replica means that is 100% a fake (have a look at a dictionary term for the word).

Yep that D-type is a bitsa ;)

Pete's happy

13. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    with all my sheet metal and aluminum panel beating experience, it would be great to find someone who is restoring a car like this and offer to help. whatever the Jag is , it looks nice to me, thanks for the pics.

14. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Pete,
    Some americans are very anal. As I'm sure are some australians. You just have to be tolerant of some people. I really don't care if the chassis number was destroyed in the factory, or what chassis # the car has. This is a beautiful car, and jaguar just doesn't make them like they used to.
    Jim

15. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    Wayne,

Either your eyes are really good, or mine are really bad -- and I suspect the latter. I glad you can see the numbers, because I absolutely cannot.

Pete: as you are so taken with bluntness and honesty, I'll tell you frankly that if your reading comprehension and knowledge ever come within shouting distance of your opinions you might be worth listening to -- so far you're not. Most serious historians regard the chassis as the key ingredient of the car...and contrary to your statement, this does not appear to be an original. The destruction of the original is well-documented. My own opinion -- based only on a guess and an interest in D-types -- is that this is probably a Lynx tub. Lynx Engineering is not Jaguar, so if I'm right then I have my own word for this car, presented as the real thing.

That interest in D-types, by the way, dates from the mid-1950s, when I worked during high school summer break for the Jaguar distributor in the Midwest U.S. The owner raced two D-types, and finished third at Sebring in one, not bad for an essentially amateur driver. I followed the careers of a few D-types from that era, including one I personally know was destroyed and scrapped in New Orleans; not even the chassis tag survived. Friends later went to the junkyard and confirmed that there NOTHING is left of the car. Seems odd then that it is now living in Europe, fully restored. One has to ask, "From what?" (And this is far from the only such case.)

If a chassis plate and an odd tub and bodywork and engine from other cars can be considered as XKD-574 by Jaguar historians, so be it. Andrew Whyte was finishing the definitive history of Jaguar race cars before his untimely death, and I believe I'll go by what he wrote about 574.

(Edited to add for the benefit of jimangle and a couple of others: with the values of these cars, these differences are quite important -- being anal has nothing to do with it. You're telling me you enjoy looking at the cheap Rembrandt copy on my wall every bit as much as the original.)

O.G.

16. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Speaking of LeMans cars last night I drove J6 up to a Party with Champion Racing. JJ Letto, Waltor, Dave, etc. were there as was their RS8 which will be running this weekend at Lime Rock. I had a long talk with Rod Baymaster (Audi Sports) and showed him my car. It was very interesting to compare it to the RS8. The Rs8 is one of the greatest endurance racers of all time and you can buy one. Humm. (Asking 675K) What do you guys thinK?

17. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Do it Jim. Let's see, $675k for a proven race car that is the most successful car recently at Le Mans, or 600k Euro for something that hasn't been entered into competition and won't be homologated for street use.

If you really want to have fun, get an EXP Speed 8 and have the full Audi set.

18. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    The speed 8 is IMO one of the most beautiful as well. Now that's one VW should put on the street instead of the New Bug. Driving J6 at night is a trip. Even the low beams light up the night. The high beams " turn the night time into the day"
    Best
    PS. Final proofing coming along.

19. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Help for OG's eyes.

20. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    Erik.

Oh. I was looking at the data plate with all the glare -- didn't even see the other numbers. Old guys, especially this old guy, sometimes need a LOT of coffee first thing in the morning.

And Jim, you know there's someone in your area who owns an R8, as well as a great collection of recent LM cars? E-mail me if you aren't familiar with him.

Thanks.

21. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Pete - although I generally concur w/ your musings, I think your way off base w/ this one. You cannot damn those of us who have a problem w/ giving a car a specific s/n when there appears to be ample evidence that it was completely destroyed in 1957.

For example, if some enterprising person were able to get their hands on a Ferrari tipo 111, 2-liter 4-cylinder motor, a tipo 510 chassis and have a Scaglietti sports racing-type body made, that person would have a beautiful car that generally meets the specifications for a 1955 Series II 500 Mondial. Good for him - he has a bitsa that will be a lot of fun. No foul.

BUT, if he also stamps the serial plate and telaio w/ 0512MD, then he has taken the identity of a S.II 500 Mondial that was completely destoyed (cut in half when it hit a house and killed the driver) in June 1955. He is calling the car something that it is not - it is not 0512 and never was. THAT's where we have a problem.

Disclaimer: I don't know jack about Jaguars (other than haveing briefly owned a 1972 XKE v-12 that liked to flood) and have nothing educated to say either way about the beautiful car in the pictures above.

22. Erik330

Erik330 Formula Junior

May 8, 2004
    Ohio
    I agree with Old Guy (that you, Fred L.?) that this car is a Lynx or similar "reconstruction". There are enough details about the car (trans tunnel being one, exhausts another) that are just a bit "off", and all the shiny alloy inner panels suggest recreation. I own one unpainted aluminum bodied car and keeping it shiny is a lot of work. I doubt that the owner goes after the spare tire door inner with a buffer but then, who knows.

There are a couple of D-types in this situation. I believe (but cannot say for sure because my memory is imperfect) that Terry Larson actually bought a SECOND D-type that claimed the same chassis number as his car, and combined the REAL parts to make one real car out of them. I know that the ex-Masten Gregory C-Type was made (by Gregory) by putting two crashed C-types together.

Jim, if you bought one of the Audi's and got papers from the factory and the team, at least in 40 years you wouldn't have to endure the abuse on the internet. On the other hand, there will surely be some wag that disputes it.

23. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    OG:

No problem. The time difference between us means I was on my last cup of coffee when you were on your first. BTW, if I remember correctly, you do make really good coffee.

Glad I could help.

Erik

24. Tom Glowacki

Tom Glowacki Rookie

May 9, 2004
    If that's the car on page 112 of Phillip Porter's "Jaguar Sports Racing Cars";
    then you'll enjoy the last sentence of the caption next to the picture of the burnt out ruins of the car, consisting of the chassis, drivetrain and engine: "As far as is known, this D-type has not yet been rebuilt. . ."

BTW, the dust jacket says Porter "lives in a Tudor farmhouse in Worcester****e"