Lenses thread | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Lenses thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by Cozmic_Kid, Apr 2, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blackwood

blackwood Formula 3

Dec 15, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Marc
  2. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    God that's impressive. I loved the D7000, don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic camera. But after the 5D it just felt like a toy, plus I miss that damn 100 f2. :)

3. blackwood

blackwood Formula 3

Dec 15, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Impressive, but the D800 evidently does a full stop better, with 60% more pixels!

4. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    And 2x the price.

5. blackwood

blackwood Formula 3

Dec 15, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Are you finding 1500 dollar mark 2s? Wow!

6. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yeah, but I'll probably spend around $1600, but still.

7. blackwood

blackwood Formula 3

Dec 15, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Crazy. I bought mine new. Should have done some research. 700 dollar mistake...

8. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    I bought mine new with the kit lens for $2890 + tax....

9. blackwood

blackwood Formula 3

Dec 15, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Body was 2200

10. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I mean they all have at least 20k actuations and aren't in the best cosmetic condition. The $1500 one I found had 67k on it.

11. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    If you have a broad range of interests, then you're at risk to become a lens collector without meaning to do so. :)

I've been intrigued by the Canon lenses and cameras, but I have over 20 Nikon lenses (lost count) and a good assortment of Leica M lenses; so I'll never move to Canon as it is easier for me to wait for Nikon to leapfrog Canon (and the inevitable reversal) than it is to change lens systems.

The logic behind my lens collection is that they can be organized in three main series of lenses, each with 2-4 lenses: multipurpose heavy (usually f/2.8 zooms), multipurpose light (usually f/3.3-4.5 zooms or f/2 primes), available light (usually f/1 to f/1.4 primes). Finally there are the special purpose (super-telephotos, super-wides, macros or TS) that I got for some specific reason or other.

A few observations.

Very fast prime lenses are seductive, but almost always compromises (I own an f/1 Leica M and an f/1.2 Nikkor, in addition to f/1.4s). Good ones are sharp relative to their competitors of like speed, but when stopped down are often just barely or not quite as good as a well designed f/1.8 or f/2 at comparable apertures. They also tend to have more vignetting, are heavy, may be restricted in smaller apertures (may not go below f/16), can be hard to focus accurately (the limited depth of field allows for very little focusing error) and are expensive. Their strength is in available light (where vignetting is much less important) or in depth of field control in medium light (bokeh is important in this case). They can be problematic in strong light as you may run out of aperture reduction. If you're interested in absolute sharpness, I would look at best in class f/1.8-f/2 primes in the medium range and f/2.8 primes in the wide or telephoto range, it will be cheaper too.

TS lenses are unique and if you truly do a lot of architecture or product/miniature photography then they can be invaluable. The tilt function changes the plane of focus which can't be done otherwise; however even the shift function is better in camera than post-processed (though it is OK to do it post-process if you don't do use shift often). The problem with post process shift is that you're expanding the pixels at one end (say the top if you're doing a typical tall building shot) and compressing them at the other end (say the bottom). That means that your top will be a lower effective resolution than your bottom. That's probably OK if you're interested in the main entrance, but perhaps not if you're interested in the gargoyles on the parapets.

One of my very favorite lenses is a 70-180 Nikkor macro zoom. This is one of the few (perhaps only?) true macro zooms around (not just a zoom with a macro setting at one focal length). I usually substitute it for my 70-200 f/2.8 as it is more versatile and lighter weight.

There are a lot of other tradeoffs depending on whether you're interested in scenics, sports, architecture, portraits, available light, candids, etc.

12. blackwood

blackwood Formula 3

Dec 15, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Marc
    I just saw one in fredmiranda claiming 3000-4000 clicks, went for 1450, and included an l bracket.

13. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I love when new gear comes out, the old stuff drops like crazy. I just wish my 18-200 would sell, I'd have $1500 sitting in my PayPal account just waiting to be transferred.

14. alfas

alfas Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2009
    chicago
    There is a ton of older MF glass out there that performs nicely on dslr's. It's another way to try a different focal length/speed lens without stumping up AF glass prices if you find them prohibitive for what you might be looking for. It also slows you down and makes you a bit more deliberate with settings which could be a good thing in the long run.

Adapters on amazon are plentiful and reasonably priced you just have to be sure to grab a corresponding one of those as well.

Simply put, good glass is good glass regardless of AF or MF.

15. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
    Thanks for all that info :)

I have actually been thinking about the lens collector thing. Ultimately I would like maybe 6-7 different lenses that basically cover what I "need".

I would of course always LOVE to have one of the big xoom lenses. But they cost as much as a car :-/

16. blackwood

blackwood Formula 3

Dec 15, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Marc
    I want want want something up to about 600. The sigma 120-300 2.8 + 2x converter gets me there (at 5.6), and if it's any good I may go that route. Otherwise, I can always rent big glass.

Beyond that, ive got standard and medium tele covered (50, 24-105, 70-200, 70-300 unless I can sell it). Need a new wide angle. Will rent the 24 1.4 II next time I take a landscapes trip.

Not very interested in macro, and don't think i'd get much use out of t/s.

17. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    B AND H NYC...buys on the spot at reasonable prices...
    They even inspect by mail , and quote..
    I have sold them a dozen Items over the past 10 years..
    I just sold my 30 year old 300mm 2.8 manual focus telephot..
    They paided me $800.00..they have others sitting for sale at $1500..but who knows how long it'll take to sell it.
    and with their store credit or cashable check I went right back in the other door and bought what I wanted...years ago I only had zoom lenses..thought the versatility was superb...then I learned Prime is the way to go...traded in 4 or 5 lenses that zoomed and bought up all primes..
    Did not look back at trade in as time is worth more than old product..

18. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Funny enough I'm leaving for NYC tomorrow, unfortunately it's Passover and they and adorama are both closed.

19. blackwood

blackwood Formula 3

Dec 15, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Marc
    That's a great tip on selling to B+H.

Beats wasting time tracking PMs on a million forums.

Anyone want a canon EF 70-300 DO IS? If not I'll try BH.

20. alfas

alfas Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2009
    chicago
    KEH.com has always been a solid option and they typically underrate their offerings and pay fair prices for used if you want no hassle.

You just have to remember any of them will offer +/- about 1/2 of what the going rate is of a private sale as they need the room to make "theirs". You could be leaving a good bit of money on the table if convenience is the priority.

21. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    My only issue for them is that I just don't make enough, maybe for higher end stuff it's better, but not consumer. KEH offered $300 for the 18-200 and I can get ~$450 on one of the forums. I'd rather lose a week of time than $150.

22. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Nice thread - lots of good info here.

I subscribe to Popular Photo magazine and every month I flip over to the Adorama / B&H product lists page and daydream over what lens I need to get. Every month i get a different set of lense !! Jeez. :)

Right now my dream team is:
    Used Nikon D700 & D300
    Nikon 16-35mm VR
    Nikon 50mm F1.8
    Nikon 70-200mm VR
    Nikon 1.7X Teleconverter

The idea is to use the D700 with wide, normal and telezoom as normal and then take the D300 along for racetracks and pair it to the 70-200mm.

23. alfas

alfas Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2009
    chicago
    that's the tradeoff of using KEH or B&H. As I said they need to make theirs and that's why they only offer around half the street price for used kit.

You pay for the convenience of not having to market the kit and get paid accordingly for that convenience. If you want more money you go the private sale route and deal with the forums and emails to make a deal happen.

They both have their benefits, you just have to make the call if it's worth the lesser price for getting rid of a piece of kit sooner rather than later if you sell yourself.

24. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #74 4REphotographer, Apr 4, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
    And I fully understand their need to make the money, obviously. I just hate to lose that much and for me it's not worth it. I know some pros that spend so much on gear losing 20-30% just doesn't matter and it's better for them to get it sold quick.

That said, anyone want a 18-200? :D

Thought of something else. When I sell one a forum I get payment right then and there and being as impatient as I am I can buy what I want that day. If I sell to KEH or anyone of those I have to ship the lens out, wait for them to inspect it and then wait for a check.

25. dozzina

dozzina F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2005
    In a vortex
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #75 dozzina, Apr 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017