Lessons learned shipping my ferrari... | FerrariChat

Lessons learned shipping my ferrari...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 360+Volt=Prius, Feb 28, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    My car shipping lessons:

1- always ship exotic and expensive cars in enclosed trailers. In general these are smaller tow trailers, better accommodations for loading unloading low riding vehicles. Ask to talk to the driver and interrogate him on prior experience with similar vehicles with low clearance. Seems like a no brainer but this is what went into my decision to ship open:

I was told that the probability of damage was well below 1%, and unless there was an "act of god like a hailstorm there will be no difference in risk." I checked the weather which was predicted to be totally clear for the day of shipping. I was assured that the drivers ship cars like this all the time and not to worry. I figured with the 400 bucks I saved I could buy something for the wife. Instead I got $400++ of agita.

2- have the seller or independent person take pics or video and send to you of any damaged areas noted by transporter before the car is loaded. They rely on some penciled marks on a loading paper to determine the extent of preexisting damage. If there was a tiny bit of preexisting damage they will be off the hook for subsequent damage to the same area.

3- verify the shipper has active cargo insurance. NOT the same as liability insurance which only covers damage caused by MVA in transport. In my case the brokerage that hired the trucking company verified the cargo insurance 1 month prior, and as it turns out there was a lapse just in time for my transport.

4- no matter what the truck driver says DO NOT sign the delivery receipt until the car was unloaded and inspected by you. The semi was blocking both directions of a small but busy road in front of my house at 7:15am during school rush time. Trucker told me he would not unload the car unless I signed the paper first. My excitement, naiveté, pressure because of traffic jam all factored in to me signing before car was unloaded and inspected by me.

5- make sure odometer milage is noted on the receipt and compare odometer miles on delivery. I have learned not to trust these guys. Cars often come with temporary tags and it would take no time for them to unload and drive your whip.

6- VIDEO THE DELIVERY!!! ( and loading too if possible). Basically this saved my a$$. If it wasn't for the 17 min video I shot on my cell phone I would not have had any leg to stand on. I got detailed footage of the driver unloading the car, and me telling him to "stop you are going to damage the car" He continued and I got him causing deep gouges and cracked the bottom of the bumper and front splash pan. Conservative estimate (aftermarket bumper and used splash pan) for $3000 worth of damage.

7- if you have comprehensive insurance your agent will literally laugh at you if you tell him you may have to submit a claim for damages during transport.

8- this will seem ludicrous but if you can't be there have someone you trust or maybe the shop that did the PPI, of a fellow fchatter take the receipt from the trucker documenting prior damages. If this is lost or misplaced (by the seller in my case) the shippers will use this as a loophole to get out of payment of filling a claim for damages. According to them this is the only proof of preexisting damage.

In retrospect, I would use this particular brokerage again, as after all was said and done they came through with and stepped up to the plate and covered the damages to my car out of their own pockets.

Mmckee likes this.
  2. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks for the headsup. Do not accept aftermarket or used parts on your car for replacements if you can help it.

3. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Thanks Kevin you are right. I figured the bumper damage can be repaired and I felt if the estaminet was too high the case would have to go to litigation. Me living in Massachusetts trying to sue trucking co in Florida, or brokerage co in so Carolina would be a nightmare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    So was the $400 savings worth the headaches ?

And this was an enclosed tow behind car trailer ?

For reasons like this I've used Intercity Lines twice, and was completely satisfied with their service, and their trucks.

Why didn't you use them, especially since they are owned and operated out of Western Mass. ???

5. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Good to hear it worked out for you in the end. When dealing with something either expensive or important to you, it just doesn't pay to skimp.

6. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo

No, ---hindsight is 20:20

Wasn't enclosed

Particular Brokerage was used for years by the dealer that sold me the car. They are reputable and located close the the dealer in South Carolina.

7. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo

Totally agree, and I was led to believe I wasn't skimping unless there was an act of god. After many discussions with the brokerage they have agreed not to transport exotics open any more.

Anyway the open/closed issue was just one of the lessons I learned and just wanted to share my experiences with anyone that may find them helpful. G

8. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yea, I was kind of focused on point #1 where you wrote you were saving $400. Also I didn't realize the car was that far away.

The video is a good point, at both ends if possible.

Too bad if you could have waited another month or so you could have driven it up!

9. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    I'm amazed at the issues that pop up with all of these shipping outfits. I've used a few of them (not intercity yet) but they all have delay issues, etc. it really sucks because there seem to be enough vendors that would yield a competitive result on average

10. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo

Yea the issues are unexpected and potentially vast. I failed to mention they called a day early and said it was going to be delivered on Thursday morning not Friday ( like I could just take off and cancel my patients). Then blocked traffic in our small town for almost 1/2 hr, pretty much at the entrance to our high school! Cops were called, and they threatened the driver with a summons. Needless to say it was quite the sensation for what I hoped would be a low profile purchase. My wife was in the hairdresser (aka town gossip) who told her " heard your husband and had a Porsche delivered and stopped the kids from getting to school"

11. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I've considered shipping cars a couple of times. I always chicken out and drive them. lol. Hey, I'm covered that way. Drove my 456M home a little over 250 miles when I bought it. Much more fun than waiting in anticipation for a truck to arrive, and all the internal turmoil associated with those situations.

Something really long distance... well, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Not something I look forward to.

Thanks for sharing the story and the advice. Very glad it worked out OK.

Cheers,

George

12. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo

I was on the same boat, until this purchase. Limited market made me widen my search area. I considered driving it but 800 miles in an unknown car (despite PPI) which is due for major just didn't seem prudent. This was the first car I ever purchased sight unseen. Overall quite the learning experience!

13. Wes Hopkins

Wes Hopkins Rookie

Jun 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Wes Hopkins
    Any broker you could possibly call, should know right away that you simply can't load a ferrari onto an open trailer. The angle of the ramps on any open
    unit is much , much greater than even the worst enclosed trailers. I have hauled exotic cars for 5 years so I know well.

Texas Forever likes this.
  14. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    We used Plycar (plycargroup.com) to ship the Alfa from LA to Atlanta enclosed. Really excellent service / communications and trucks at about 1/2 the price of the big name guys.

15. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I'm shipping my Cayenne and 360 from SC to Minneapolis enclosed with Passport. They did a fantastic job with my 996 up to my dad. Expect nothing but the best shipping them to me this time. Will update when it arrives.

16. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    That’s a lot to think about when shipping a car and quite honestly not really necessary.
    I always just use one of big boys to do it and don’t fret over price. It’s Interstate for me but there are others that are reputable.

17. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    #17 EastMemphis, Jun 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    I had the option of "free" (nothing is free) shipping when I bought my 360 but instead, I took the trouble of going to see the car in person, test driving it and then shipping myself with a U-Haul trailer and truck. It was a rewarding experience and a bit of an adventure. If I ever had to do this again, I'd go in person and take possession directly from the seller and deal with getting the car home myself. I'm a bit anal when it comes to trusting people to do their job right. Too many disappointments.

One lesson I've learned too many times in life: If you're not hovering over someone doing a job for you, they will undoubtedly cut corners, make stupid mistakes and cover them up poorly, and not really give a crap how the job is done as long as they can hoodwink you into accepting it.

I recently had two top of the line Clopay doors installed in my new garage. Here's a sample of the work they did:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Would it have been too much trouble to try and get these two customer facing controls square to the door? I mean really? The rest of the job was the same top notch quality.

Here's another sample of fine craftsmanship:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

I came in right as they were making these holes in the wall trying to locate the stud. I got my Franklin stud finder out, handed it to him, he located the stud in seconds and then proceeded to hammer that framing nail into the wall another dozen times. Can't fix stupid.

It was raining when they finished and rushed me with the paperwork. Note the grease stains on the freshly painted wall. They were everywhere, on every wall. Took me hours to clean it up and repaint. I fixed everything myself and will seek another contractor to install a new garage door in my regular garage.

In the interest of identifying demographics, the two who installed my doors were white Americans.

BLAMPEE likes this.
  18. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Update on Passport shipping.. cars arrived and were in perfect condition. Awesome company, great drivers. It's soo nice to just hand them the keys and no worries. When your transport driver has driven Ferrari 001 to Pebble beach, you can trust them with your car.

19. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    just unreal.. I would have been livid pissed and probably have thrown them out and withheld payment until another company fixed their screwup and deducted it from their payment. Absolutely hate things like this, and it’s everywhere in the service industry.