Lets say you had a brilliant idea and made a $billion$ on it.... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Lets say you had a brilliant idea and made a $billion$ on it....

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by jonesn, Jan 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    The Teldar Paper speech! I love it! Brings a tear to my eye just reading it. I love Gekko!:)

Jonesn, back to your question. I'd gladly give up the money to improve people's quality of life.

2. jonesn

jonesn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    STL-MO
    Full Name:
    Evan "Trouble" Jones
    Well, since I'm the one who started the thread, I'll tell you how I would do it.

Keep $50m for myself to indulge in really whatever I feel like, and of course for my family to live very comfortably for generations.

With the other $950m I would set up an international firm of many small companies, all of which are set in developing areas. All of these businesses sell a good or service that is for necessity only; utility, basic medical, food, public transportation, et cetera. Whatever profit in usually made by these companies is then changed to benefit the local community, so 1/3 of the would-be profit is discounted from the charge so that more people can afford it. Then the profit that is made is then split between half being donated to a local community project (medical clinic, roads, food aid, shelter) and half going towards the creation of more businesses in the firm.

What this is really doing is giving great leverage to economic growth by allocating the executive cut to those who have far better utility of those funds. This firm is not about handouts, rather it creates opportunity for an area in need to help themselves. My favorite quote explains this:

If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. If you teach him to fish, you feed him for a lifetime.

3. Jason W

Jason W Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jason
    "Need" is such a terrible word.

4. jonesn

jonesn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    STL-MO
    Full Name:
    Evan "Trouble" Jones
    Is there something more PC to substitute it?