Let's see your favourite 456/550/575 Photo... | Page 181 | FerrariChat

Let's see your favourite 456/550/575 Photo...

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Condor Man, Jan 14, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    If you don't already, I think it's important to understand the history and evolution of the model. All of the original 456 cars were manuals. Then there was a break in exports to the US due to federal requirements for ODB2. Thus, no 1996 456s. When the car again became available as model year 1997, OBD2 was incorporated and the automatics first became available. So any older 456s (ie 93,94,95) are going to be manuals. You see their pricing in the $80-100k range.

The 97 456 GTA (autos) and the 456M GTAs (autos) are the cars occupying that market price range typically around $60k and up to $80k for really nice examples.

Then there are the 456M GTs (6-speed manual). Only 93 came to the US over the 98-03 model year range. By year, there were 2 in MY98, 23 in MYs 99,00,01, 11 in MY02, and finally 13 in MY03. These are the cars, depending on mileage and condition, that are occupying the $100-150k range. (As mentioned, there is a 456M GT on duPont Registry being offered by the private owner at $149k....I am cheering for him!!)

How long these cars stay on the market before moving is, I believe, a measure of the small but very distinct demand for the model. They are seriously underappreciated by the larger Ferrari market. It takes a real 2+2 afficionado and one with the resources to buy and maintain a 456 to be on the demand side for the car. That having been said, I have been approached twice in the last 45 days with inquiries of would I be willing to sell my car. The answer at present is not really. (All cars are for sale as some price....the price it would take to relieve me of my car is not in line with market values. She is dear to me at present. However, life changes, one never knows.)

Hope this clears things up a bit. And here are some of the statistics

Worldwide
    456 GT and GTA
    Production started: 1993.
    Production ended: 1997.
    Total production: 1,936 (402 auto); 202 RHD, 61 auto.

456M GT and GTA
    Production started: 1998.
    Production ended: 2003.
    Total production: 1,271, 631 auto; 171 RHD, 139 auto.

US
    Total imported: 369, 276 auto, 93 manual
    Thus, while 30% of 456M production came to the US, almost 40% of auto production came here. But also note that over 80% of the RHD production was automatics. Seriously, is that a market assessment of Britain, Japan, etc or is it that much harder to shift backwards!! I didn't really think so while drivin LOL

MaurizioAM and F456M like this.
  2. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Oh, and one other thing.....watch ads carefully for incorrect model designations. There is one on duPont right now that is listing a 95 456 M. Nope. Not an M. Quickest way to visually confirm is the vents along the hood. 456 has them, 456 M does not. That beside the fact that Ms were introduced in 98.
    Second, there are often cars listed at 456 GT or 456 M GT that on careful reading turn out to be automatics. Those should be GTA nomenclature

MaurizioAM likes this.
  3. 456M GTA

456M GTA Karting

Great info from Laserguru and spot on.

If I might add in MHO (respectfully to Maurizio) in his quest for a 456 (good pick btw!!), it is extremely rewarding to drive a well sorted 456 (and the "sorts" are well documented) so make a check list with the corresponding $$ to fix it the way you want and you will be all set to compare and contrast the models (and haggle!!).

If I might make a call out for the Auto (reported elsewhere in the forum over the years) the "owners love 'em". I'm in that group I was once firmly in the camp of an "auto is not a real Ferrari", but then I drove one and I couldn't help myself, it was and still is awesome. Now would I swap my car for a manual 456 - well yes of course no question but would I then I would have to add best part of $40-50K cash ----mmmm ----- that's a big decision and I recommend some test drives.

456M GTA owner 5 years and counting

MaurizioAM and F456M like this.
  4. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    What he said!! While mine is a 6-sp, I test drove a number of the autos and found them delightful. In some ways, preferable. The six speed requires a more engaged driver and is a bit of pain if you get caught up in traffic. Boulevard driving keeps one busy stirring the pot to be in the right gear where the auto is just handling it. Much more relaxing if you are mostly in town or suburban. Once on the highway, both cruise wonderfully. The six speed really shines if you like to carve up a few back roads, then it is absolutely sublime. Nailing a fourth to third downshift to enter a sweeper with that V-12 just can't hardly be described.

puckybadger, F456M and Il Tifoso like this.
  5. 456M GTA

456M GTA Karting

Well just for fun and to keep the exchange light - I have a 1935 MG 4 speed that is a crash gear box, straight cut teeth, only double clutching will enable a gear change and a reverse gate to add to the complication - getting a change down from 4th to 3rd without a CRUNCH, that would make the gear box teeth fall out and the fillings fall out in your own teeth - I wouldn't call a sublime experience but oddly satisfying!! Oddly the semi auto box on this model (that won the 1934 UlsterTT driven by Tazio Nuvoleri) is more valuable - so I would swap my Ferrari for a manual and swap my MG for a semi auto - its a funny old world!!!

F456M likes this.
  6. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Indeed it is that!!

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Eric- Where did you get your production numbers for 456s and 456Ms, especially US production? I have all the total production and UK RHD numbers, but have not seen a breakdown of US production except partials in NHTSA documents.

8. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Terry,
    The pretty comprehensive data at F-Register (soon to go dark, alas) has essentially all VIN numbers and US bound cars are extractable by the market indicator value in the VIN. ZFF is Ferrari, W is the 5.5L V-12, L indicates the safety equipment package, 44 indicates the model with a manual transmission, 50 an automatic, A is the US market, the next digit is a numerical check digit, next is the model year, next is the plant of assembly (all the same for Ferrari), and then the rest is the serialization of production. I'm sure you already knew all this but I thought others might be interested

Thus, my 03 456M GT is ZFF W L 44 A 3 3 0 132381.

I joined F-Register soon after I bought the car and have been compiling all the ancilliary data on specific cars since. Things like confirming exterior and interior colors, engine number, chassis number, shields, Daytona seats, inserts, contrasting stitching, piping on the interior trim, dash and steering wheel color, brake caliper color, and any other interesting notes on specific cars. Regretfully, the gent who has run F-Register lo these many years is retiring and giving it up. We will all soon be losing a serious resource.

9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Eric- I belong, too, but have only looked up the 575M data, for some reason. They extended it once, so hopefully they will do so again.

10. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    City traffic can be brutal both here and in SOCAL, so I started my search wanting a GTA to replace a Jaguar XJS I lost. During my search, I drove both a GT and several GTA’s and absolutely loved the automatic.
    Full disclosure; I already have a manual 360 Spider for the "engagement" factor. I found the GTA to be its complementary twin - the ultimate boulevard / highway cruiser.

So would I trade my GTA for a six-speed? Not a chance.

MaurizioAM likes this.
  11. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I completely understand that, Killer. My running around rural New Hampshire is a vastly different thing than urban/boulevard. Each has its appropriate venue.

killer58 likes this.
  12. MaurizioAM

MaurizioAM Karting

Sep 5, 2018
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Maurizio
    All of your comments have given me a lot of food for thought. A part of me wants the manual so that I can feel that rush I once loved, but on the other hand I can see where many of you are coming from in terms of practicality. An ultimate goal is to have a set up like Killer, 456 for the family and a 360 for the fun. So maybe a test drive on an automatic might be what changes my mindset.

However, perhaps if I do consider an auto in the years 98-03, It might also be worth opening up my mindset a bit further into the earlier models in a being that manual would be an easier feat on those models and still in that same price range.

Truth is I'm still very torn as the styling on both models are great... Lol is it normal to be this picky,? I'm not sure that's the right word to be using as it's more about just having a set mindset toward what I ultimately end up with. So any comments on the earlier models would be great, I'd love to hear what you all have to say.

13. MaurizioAM

MaurizioAM Karting

Sep 5, 2018
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Maurizio
    poljav and F456M like this.
  14. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Maurizio,

Sharing many of the same style elements of the 360, I like the interior of the M much better. However, I really like the hood scoops on the early version. Not to complicate your decision, but the two bonnets are interchangeable! My original intent was to get an M and install an older bonnet with scoops....

I say look at them both, drive one or more, and get the one that speaks to your heart.

MaurizioAM likes this.
  15. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Moving the fog lights into the grill is Ferrari old school like the 250 GTE evolution. The M face is less busy without the lower outside brake duct air intakes, yet also a bit bland. And the hood scoops....one day I like the detail and coolness of the original, the next day I like the sleekness of the M. Unseen, the floor pan of the M and the fixed aero wing underneath the rear work better than the deployable wing under the rear of the original. It actually was a pretty significant change although not noticeable with any ease.

At the end, I with Killer, it's the improved interior of the M that makes the most difference.

And finally, you really can't go wrong.

MaurizioAM likes this.
  16. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Oh, BTW, I like those wheels on the M you have pictured. Looks like they are 18" and fill the wheel wells better. The factory 17" aren't a bad looking wheel but they do seem small to more modern sensibilities (and available tire choices!!)

I have a set of HRE 547 18" wheels like those shown in the picture as well as the original wheels. These particular HREs are now discontinued (like the ever popular NF2s) but will take the Michelin PS4.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. MaurizioAM

MaurizioAM Karting

Sep 5, 2018
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Maurizio
    I feel almost the same way. I do like the M interior a bit more though as I feel it appears a bit more modern/refreshed... But that look of the scoops and the sleekness of the M it's like they are two different cars. I guess a part of me still sits on the sidelines when it comes to thinking about an automatic, but at the same time I get it that in a car like this maybe an auto is a blessing in disguise.

18. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
  19. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
  20. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
  21. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    You need to replace the covers on top of the head lights too if you replace the hood...

22. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Hi Tim. Great pictures. I really like those old Bentleys. Have you driven it? I considder to get one myself. They are just immense and has a superb craftmanship. I love the design too. Must be a nightmare to park in narrow garages though.

23. poljav

poljav F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Pol J.
    Boomhauer likes this.
  24. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016