Lets talk about diet.... | FerrariChat

Lets talk about diet....

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by James-NZ, Aug 18, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    OK, so we are all different shapes and sizes and we all have different goals for our work outs and fitness regime.

What do you eat and when do you eat it? What results are you seeing with this program? What work outs are you doing in conjunction with your eating program?

I work out 3 times a week and change my routine every 6th workout, i have a personal trainer who writes my program. This has been successful in increasing my fitness levels and bringing me back into shape after a few years of bad eating habits and smoking along with little exercise. I was never really "fat" but have been unhappy with my body and decided to change that.

Now i am fit again and feel great its time to get that last edge, the diet. I have been looking at what i eat and when i eat it, basically I'm a convenience eater, and my meals are too large and infrequent. I'm looking for ideas to help me put together an eating plan that i can stick to. At work i can use a microwave to cook anything that is needed for lunch and smokos.

I am trying to loose the "belly" its the last real bit un-toned, and i know its due to my eating habits.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

I have started this thread not just for me to learn but for all of us to share our experiences and learn how we can improve our results by eating better.

2. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

Get rid of all processed sugars and totally swear off alcohol. That will help you eliminate your gut. These are the two biggest contributors IMO. Start reading labels and you'll see everything has too much sugar. If you can pass on the sugar, a large part of your goal will be accomplished. Get your sugar from natural sources, i.e., apples, grapes, oranges, etc.

Other things I'd recommend: skipping bread and rice or at least going with whole grain varieties of these things.

It sucks, but it's possible to lose it. I'm testament to that.

RMX

3. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Basic tenets I follow: don't mix proteins and carbs. When you eat a protein, don't eat any carbs. When you eat a carb, skip the protein. Also, eat in moderation--portion control is a huge part of a diet. I've found most diets I've read up on subscribe to these ideas in one way or another.

+1 on eliminating alcohol.

4. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    My typical day.

Breakfast (6:50am):
    -Bowl of Cereal (Puffed Wheat, Kashi, Oatmeal, Rasin Bran, all sorts of stuff) with 2% or Vitamin D milk
    -Whey Shake, mostley I only take it on workout days.
    -Glass of OJ

Anywhere between 9am and 10:30am:
    -Oatmeal
    -Banana (sometimes)
    -Usualy some sort of nuts (mostly, walnuts, peanuts, and sunflower seeds)

Lunch (~11:50-12:15pm):
    -Skinless/Boneless Chicken breast
    -Veggie or Fruit
    -Sometimes I'll also have brown rice

Snack (1:45)
    -Yogurt
    -Apple

Lunch - Round Two (2:55ish):
    -Skinless/Boneless Chicken Breast
    -Veggie/Fruit
    -Occasionally brown rice (sometimes I will only bring enough rice for one lunch)

Gym (4:00)

Post Gym:
    -Whey shake within 25 minutes post workout

Dinner (6 - 6:30pm):
    -Varies constantly.
    --Steak, Tuna, Grilled Fish, Spaghetti with lean ground beef and sauce, Lean Hamburger with mustard
    -Salad
    -Peas, or some other veggie
    -Casein Protein Shake. Sometimes I'll take this about 30 minutes to an hour following dinner

In bed around (9:30pm)

5. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Trying to keep it allright, but in a small college town it can be hard to do.

Every morning I eat a bowl of oats and three egg whites.

Protein shake in bewteen breakfast and lunch

lunch is usually a spinich salad with a little cottage cheese (slow burning protein) and some chicken on top. Chick peas were tossed in today!

Dinner could be a bunch of things most often though, turkey breat and a salad (gorrillas are the strongest mammals and all they eat are greens).

Protein shake before bead with maybe some peanut butter.

_J

6. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008

Thumbs up. This is almost identical to my diet.

7. otaku

otaku Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Boise,Idaho
    Full Name:
    Josh
    My diet is pretty close to yours. My problem is I can't help but cheat now and then (especially in the evening while watching a movie) good luck the belly is the hardest part I still have mine

8. Nate Johnson

Nate Johnson Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2006
    USA
    Ditto on the elimination of sugar. Any sugar form that ends in -ose is double bad for you.

9. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    Being older than most here (44) and into endurance for cardio benefits - I'm burning somewhere around 5,000 calories during exercise, riding 6x a week. I've found racing intensity really helps burn off the gut - but it gets tougher as the fitness improves!

Also found the diet naturally improves the harder I work - trying to eat as much protein as the kidney's can digest. steaks, chicken, fish, Whey Powder, Protein bars, whatever's at hand.

10. toshiba

toshiba Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Santa
    eat all the crap you want, just don't overload, american portions are getting out of control ( always get small and even then throw out half of it )

I told someone this and they lost 50 pounds in the winter doing no exercise.

Diets don't work , It's a made up thing that do not work at all unless you want to eat the same thing for the rest of your life and be on that schedule forever

11. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    Awesome! It's great to hear from someone that has managed to loose the gut, I will be there, I just need to keep at it and make sure the diet is in order. I agree on the reading labels, it really is an eye opener, I had no idea how much bad stuff i was eating, now I read all the labels. :)

Thanks for putting the effort in to write that, looks like a good target for me to aim for. :)

Moderation is key I guess.

12. Lemke

Lemke F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2004
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    The place I wark at specializes in pizzas but there are also burgers and pastas on the menu and just about everything comes with fries. Everything is tempting so its REALLY hard to stay on track. Its just to easy to munch on fries when they are right in front of you all the time. Anyways the rare times I make myself lunch or dinner there I usually make a simple pasta like penne + light olive oil + a little sauce. Sometimes a little chicken on top. Something thats not just fried or covered in god knows how much cheese.

13. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #13 TexasF355F1, Aug 20, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
    Thanks.
    We all have to cheat now and again. We're only human. I find I actually take pride in eating healthy in front of people pigging out on junk. Last week everyone was eating ice cream at work. I was diving into grilled chicken and zucchini, to the displeasure of all my coworkers. lol
    Moderation is very important. But what you put in your body is equally important. Eating a bunch of crap, no matter what portion size is going to lead to clogged arteries, and other problems including heart disease.

What I posted is not a diet. It's simply a healthier way to eat, and is high in protein to feed my muscles as I train.

And you can say what you want, but you can't just eat anything you want regardless of portion size. You just lack the knowledge in this area to know any better.

Diets are for people who are setting themselves up for failure. If you consider eating lean meat, low in fats and cholesterol a diet, then sure I'm on a diet. Eating crap will lead to a shorter life. I've seen enough people drop dead around me or have serious medical problems from eating crap and not taking care of themselves.

And considering all the different types of fish, lean beef, chicken, veggies/fruits and all the ways to prepare them you can eat something different nearly every single day. Most of us that eat the exact same thing during the week because we can bring out food with us.

14. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    Alright here is my diet that my trainer put together for me. We all have different body types and metabolism. This for me to lean out, righ now I am at 170lbs and 11 percent body fat and the goal is to be around 7-8 percent.

6:30am 1/2 Lean Body Shake

7:00am CARDIO

8:00am 8 egg whites
    1 whole egg
    1 cup of oatmeal w/ 2 packets of Splenda

11:00am 7oz. Chicken breast
    1cup of brown rice OR medium sweet potato
    2 cups of green romaine salad
    w/baslamic dressing

2:00pm 1 Pure Pro Shake

4:00pm 7oz Chicken breast
    1 cup brocolli
    5:00pm WORKOUT

6:00pm 1 Pure Pro Shake

9:00pm 7oz Salmon or White Fish
    1 cup of Green Veggies

15. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Nice diet plan you got CRG.

I love Lean Body shakes, but man they are so freaking expensive. They are beyond reasonable imo.

16. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    Thanks. Yeah they are pretty expensive. You also have pretty nice diet plan.

17. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Thanks. After having a few weeks here and there when I did not have time to cook b/c of work and ate the food they brought in really made me realize how much eating greasy crap makes you feel terrible.

18. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Exercise for 45 minutes a day, keeping your heartrate up, and you can pretty much eat whatever you want. And if you diet on top of that it should shed like crazy or be difficult to put on.

19. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    when I go to the gym I drink 1 gallon of water, of course I have to be near a bathroom for a few hours afterwards but water is great for knocking off #s

Also I drop the carbs, sugar to almost zero and eat lots of protein

eating small meals every few hours w no carbs or sugar is great

I am addicted to ice tea w splenda so I wont give that up but I'll give up diet coke & just drink more water when I am out

20. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I don't agree with dropping carbs. It's an essential fuel for the body. I'm not saying over indulge, but there should be some intake of carbs.

21. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    My diet isn't really as strict as others. It doesn't put on a lot of mass (only maintains about 170lbs).

5:30 AM - 8 egg whites, 2 slices of whole wheat bread, multivitamin
    7:30 AM - 10 AM - eat some small carrots regularly, maybe a cup or two
    10 AM - banana
    12 PM - turkey sandwhich with whole wheat bread and a cup of brown rice
    1 PM - 3 PM - eat the rest of my carrots
    4 PM - banana
    7 PM - dinner is always different. Sometimes just fish, salad, and maybe rice. Others have chicken or just plain spaghetti.

As you can tell, I'm not aiming for very high protein intake to get my weight up. I'm just looking to get toned and not eat that bad of food. I used to eat more brown rice and more bread (two more slices before for breakfast), but it was way too many carbs. Now that I cut back on that, my bf% is falling a little.

P.S. I drink about a half gallon of water throughout the day. Not much else liquid-wise.

22. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Have you ever tried whole grain bread? It's really good stuff, with a lot of flavor. I just bought Pepperidge Farm because it was cheaper. Big mistake. Tastes and looks fake. I'll stick to my other brands.

23. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I think I use the words interchangeably. I buy whatever those twin-packs are with 15 grain on them from Costco. Btw, I swayed from my diet a little today. Instead of two bananas, I had two doughnuts, lol. :)

24. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    I usually go with two eggs with enhanced omega3, half cup oatmeal, orange juice, and either an apple or other fruit for breakfast. Some kind of snack bar or nuts or rice cakes for snacks between meals. Lunch and dinner usually consist of some type of lean meat with loads of vegetables and occasionally some spaghetti or rice for carbs. I cook at night and then save half of it in zip lock containers to eat for lunch or as another dinner meal.

I also drink about a gallon of water a day.

25. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    LOL. If I ate enough bread I'd buy the same pack too.

I cheated this week too! I had one doughnut on Wednesday and one on Friday. Doughnuts are my weakness now, it use to be ice cream.:D