Let's talk Audi R8 coupe 2007 to 2015 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Let's talk Audi R8 coupe 2007 to 2015

Discussion in 'Other German' started by Robb, Aug 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    The car was designed for the Wankel Engine. When that didn't work out, the jammed a V 8 in it. It also had an overheating problem because the Radiator was too small.

Joe

2. dRoger45

dRoger45 Rookie

Aug 17, 2017
    Yeah, this has been a known issue for these engines.

3. Jorligan

Jorligan Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 23, 2007
    Dexter, MI
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Carbon build up in DI engines can really happen to any engine, most frequently seen when the engines aren't "exercised" ie the infamous Italian tune up.

Have 2011 V10 with Larini exhaust and manual and APR tune, supposed to be 600+ HP. Pulls almost as hard as my 458. Louder than the 458 but not annoying. V10 exhaust note is intoxicating. Definitely lacks the road feel of the 458 or the nimbleness. Great GT car, drove it from Dallas to Ann Arbor comfortably. Will be tracking it for first time at RA this week as my Cayman transmission (worn bearings) is down. If looking for more of a daily driver and occasional track car in the 100k range, would also look at Cayman GT4 or 911 variant. If something more exotic and more GT car, R8 is a good choice. Would stay away from the R transmission. With the manual transmission, test drive the car and aggressively shift as there are reports of bad synchros and the transmission is REPLACED, not repaired. The upshift synchros can go bad.

4. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark
    #29 marknkidz, Aug 31, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    agree with all above...

def. look at the 10cyl.

and don't discount a GT if you can find one.. SO much more EXOTIC looking in my opinion (of course im biased)... the rear end is so sweet!!

and an EXHAUST system change out is MANDATORY!!

feel free to PM if ya have any questions..

good luck.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004

Where is the compressor in the V10?

6. Jorligan

Jorligan Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 23, 2007
    Dexter, MI
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Tracked the R8 at Road America which is a high speed track. Turned in a 2:43 with the bend and this was not my fastest lap, got caught in traffic. Unfortunately, the fastest lap did not get timed but I did hit 162 at end of front straight on that lap. As a track car, the V10 R8 is fast, LOTS of power, tremendous acceleration and surprisingly good handling. It is NOT nimble and you can definitely feel the weight of the car as compared to my usual car, the Cayman. New NSX was also on the track, in the technical areas, it would pull 2-3 car lengths coming out of the turns and I would catch up as I would brake deeper into the turns. He got flagged to let me pass after which I pulled away. Preferences? GT car with occasional track time and twisties up to 150K - new NSX, GT car with occasional track time and twisties up to 110K - R8, More track oriented car with street use - Cayman GT4. Additional cars to add to the list in the various price points - Corvette Z06, McLaren MP12-4C, Porsche 911 Turbo

Robb likes this.
  7. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Yes but you get a ton of fuel over the valves when you do an "italian tune up" on a port injection car.

Direct injection has no fuel cleaning the valves no matter how it's driven.

Even if it has to come apart every 50k miles for cleaning, not the end of the world. Just wish they did dual injection (port/direct) like Toyota D4S to avoid the issue altogether.

Robb likes this.
  8. Jorligan

Jorligan Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 23, 2007
    Dexter, MI
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Apparently the higher engine temperature helps decrease the carbon deposits. Agree that dual injection is the solution

Robb likes this.
  9. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul