Letterman and Lewis Hamilton | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Letterman and Lewis Hamilton

Discussion in 'F1' started by Phil~, Jun 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Am I losing my marbles or is Hamilton's backstory ever evolving?

Now his Dad worked 3 jobs? First it began as 1 single job that he worked multiple shifts for to come up with more scratch. Then it became 2 completely different jobs, and now it's 3?!

And I still don't understand how living/growing up in Stevenage = poor

Why can't he just celebrate his success as is, what's with all this other unnecessary whinging and "romanticization" of reality? I mean how can some of you blame anyone for not being able to like Hamilton?

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    When all else fails, they'll just call you a racist and ''win''.

daytona355 likes this.
  3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    These days you need to ''come from nothing, man'' to be able to be something. His dad wasn't poor. Simple as that. When you're poor, you don't go racing karts professionaly.

And why the need for his ''boohoo I was so poor I had nuffin' '' story all the time? Kimi Raikkonen had to **** in an outhouse. I bet you he was poorer. Do you hear him complain? Or even mention it? I don't think he personally ever mentioned being poor.

4. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Good and positive film. I enjoyed it, thanks for posting.

ATBNM3 and william like this.
  5. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    That wasn't an outhouse. Kimi just didn't like his neighbors.

Mbutner, Phil~, stavura and 4 others like this.
  6. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Tyson has done very well escaping with just depression. The highs and the lows he's endured are epic.
    One of my uncle's spent a week with him and the insight was remarkable.
    Unlike Hamilton, Mike wasn't gifted a leafy Stevenage upbringing with a dedicated and providing father, but he did grow up in genuine poverty and a legitimate sh*****e / ghetto.

stavura, daytona355 and zygomatic like this.
  7. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Watched it last night. Looked awesome in 4k. Hambone is not as well known in the US as the rest of the world but putting him with the likes of Obama, Clooney, Yeezy and Hova will increase his publicity and endear him to even more fans. Overall, I thought he came across as relatable. Liked his banter with Letterman, a huge petrolhead himself. Letterman is a legendary interviewer.

Highlights for me were
    1. the little kids karting, that girl Chloe was hilarious.
    2. the old videos of Hambone's karting days
    3. tracking the E63S wagon (although it's 604 not 700 hp). They had great chemistry and Letterman went from being terrified to exuberant. Hambone looked scared too when Letterman was driving.

Hamilton- "I'm alive! Thank you, Jesus!" LOL

4. Letterman getting sprayed with champagne. Hambone has the champagne celebration down to a science after 77 wins..

Preach!

Mbutner and ATBNM3 like this.
  8. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    He’s a great driver, couldn’t care less about tats or earrings or singing ability, all good by me. Heard him being interviewed when he was in GP2 and many, many times thereafter, prior to Letterman. Conclusion; he’s a great driver.

Surfah, ATBNM3, william and 1 other person like this.
  9. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I dunno, I’m from hockey culture. Most race car drivers seem like whiny prisses to me. Splitting hairs. ;)
    But I did meet Antonio Giovinazzi today, super nice guy!

ATBNM3 and Isobel like this.
  10. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    You live in a very different world than most. Yeezy, Hova....? Are these people or science fiction characters? Racing is a meritocracy, at least among the top guys.......how the other 2 fit in,............

11. schumacherf2006

schumacherf2006 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Couldn’t agree more

stavura and daytona355 like this.
  12. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Don’t know what you lot are all whining about Hamilton looking for sympathy. Didn’t see any of that.

Watched it last night and thought it was ok; to be honest I thought letterman was a bit dry/dull. He only seemed to come alive when Lewis took him on track.

And what was all that about letterman driving some karts??? How did that fit in.

ATBNM3 and william like this.
  13. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak

Yeah, absolute double standards, don’t forget, one of them even confirmed in writing that he wished Michael had died in his skiing accident..... really classy. It’s hilarious hearing them come out in judgement when someone pops at dumdum, but are happy to be derogatory about many other drivers, and of course, particularly Ex and current ferrari drivers

stavura, fil and Bas like this.
  14. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Who are you talking about Izzy???

15. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    Evidently yes, you may be losing your marbles, as the story has not evolved, probably because it's the truth.

from
    • The Observer, "The Real Deal" by Oliver Owen
      Sat 2 Jun 2007 19.08 EDT
    "Anthony was working as an IT manager as Lewis began making a name for himself on the kart circuit. Taking time off became a problem as his son's racing and testing took him all over the country and overseas. Eventually Anthony took redundancy so he could spend more time at the track. He did contract work and was sometimes doing two or three jobs at a time, including putting up estate agents' signs. In time, he set up his own computer company, which now employs 25 people, but his main role in life is working as his son's manager on a daily basis."

Surfah, Terra and william like this.
  16. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Ha, Pedro. I’ve always thought the man can wheel, however I’ve never thought he’s very interesting or much of a personality. Not a fan, but he can drive.

ATBNM3 and zygomatic like this.
  17. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Ok, fair enough, he's good alrigth, not just as good as he or his fanboys think...just this morning i was thinking how often Elton get's beaten by drivers that are good but not exceptional, like nico or Bottas, he's probably a bit better, a bit faster than both..but for a very tinny margin (and even so, he's got preferential treatment by his team)..now let's imagine Bottas or Nico against the likes of Senna, Prost, Michael, (the real one, not the Mercedes shadow)....does anyone actually believe they would have been able to beat them that often? Of course not, at best they would have done the same Berger did against Ayrton, because none of them are any better, and Berger was already very, very good.

daytona355 and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  18. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    I’d agree. The only reason I make fun of Hambone/Elton/Urkel is because he’s completely clueless. He was beyond insufferable in Monaco, the whine on the radio about his tires was endless, yet he pops out victorious and announces he never had any intention to pit.
    Every race, he somehow manages to outdo his earlier efforts to behave like a horse’s behind.

I’d kill to see my dream of watching him race for A.J. Foyt in his prime.....;) . Hard on the censor for those imagined exchanges...

19. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Don't forget that the opposition also listen to his radio, and sometimes tries to mimic his strategy, so a little bit of desinformation is simply destined to confuse them.

20. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Sure, although I’d doubt he’d want to encourage extra attempts from Max to pass him in Monaco by stating he was experiencing tire wear difficulties.

daytona355, Jeronimo GTO and furoni like this.
  21. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'd settle for a few weekends with Gunther Steiner.

Bas, daytona355, furoni and 1 other person like this.
  22. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Now that's what you call full dedication and support, to help deliver your son's dream.

Terra and ktu like this.
  23. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    I agree, having 3 jobs shows great dedication. Lewis , Kimi are among the few who started off with great financial challenge.

Surfah and william like this.
  24. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Yeah right.... the genius Lewis fooled everybody
    The excuses for his whining are getting better and better. A few days ago you complained that is was aired and now you say he did it on purpose...

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

Bas, daytona355 and stavura like this.
  25. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    British drivers always get a pass from the media and fans, Mansell was always a massive whinger, Hamilton is just continuing this british tradition...

stavura, Bas and daytona355 like this.