Lewis Hamilton discussion thread | Page 57 | FerrariChat

Lewis Hamilton discussion thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by Flavio_C, Aug 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    No. Can you imagine the new slew of excuses from haters if Hamilton wins?

fer312t, PureEuroM3, william and 3 others like this.
  2. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Lewis Hamilton has still not signed with Mercedes. He's been a free agent for a week now.

His demands are for $200 million for 4 years PLUS 10% of the teams winnings.

Daimler refuses to Lewis's demands.

3. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Yikes! If I understand the basics of salary grandfathering and upcoming budget caps, Hamilton seems to be ignoring them. ??

4. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Daimler president own annual compensation is (was) in the region of ~5M per year, including bonuses and shares. He took a 20% cut due to the coronavirus crisis. Imagine him having to deal with a spoiled brat who is not satisfied with 8x his (Kallenius) salary, but now wants 10x.

ingegnere, SimCity3, 375+ and 3 others like this.
  5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    On top of that, the 25000 employees Mercedes had to let go for 2020 will leave a bad taste in their mouth when a spoiled brat demands more money for a job that can be done by someone 1/50th of the price.

greg328, ronc52, SimCity3 and 5 others like this.
  6. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    Incidentally, that reminds of the splash made by Heikki Kovalainen when he beat Schumacher in the ROC (driving Ferraris no less) - he was supposedly the 'next big thing' ...and his subsequent GP2 campaign and freshman year with Renault did little to dispel

Yet - in the end - the early promise withered once paired with Lewis and never really recovered. Another talented racing driver unfairly maligned as a no-talent nobody by those looking to devalue you know who. It's the same with Bottas...and if George Russell eventually gets the Merc drive alongside Lewis and cannot regularly match his illustrious teammate, it will be the same for him as well.

simpen and william like this.
  7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I don't have a problem with the $400M (or €400M) over 4 years, that is the price of top flight athletes these days.

But there is no way he is worth 10% of what the team gets for his winnings.
    He might be worth 10% of his $400M (or €400M) for winning the WDC and having the team win WCC.

Boomhauer likes this.
  8. Sempre_gilles

Sempre_gilles Formula 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    AdK
    Can you imagine Lewis participating in a racing event with others in equal machinery?

greg328, SimCity3, Flavio_C and 3 others like this.
  9. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I don't think Race of Champions is the end all, be all of competitions. An ancient, part time alcoholic, long time retiree DC beat the 2nd coming Pascal Wehrlein. It's a fun event but it doesn't hold that much more merit than Top Gears reasonably priced car lap...

10. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Karting? GP2 champion? Did you start watching Hamilton only when he entered F1?

greg328, william, Boomhauer and 3 others like this.
  11. Sempre_gilles

Sempre_gilles Formula 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    AdK
    FYI: it was a rhetorical question ....... :)

JL350, Bas and sammysaber like this.
  12. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Debatable whether F1 drivers are top athletes.

Take away their car and they are nothing.

You cannot say the same about a Boxer or MMA athlete.

ingegnere likes this.
  13. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Whilst there no doubt in my mind that F1 drivers are among the most physically fit people on the planet, including top boxers/MMA fighters, what I do agree on is that F1 drivers better physical fitness doesn't mean better results...lets say if George russell ran 5 miles a day more he wouldn't move uup the grid any further. They're limited by the equipment given....

greg328, SimCity3 and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I knew from your side:D

15. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    Nothing without the car? I'd like to see how one of those guys endures 5+ Gs for a couple hours suited up on a 125F track in a car with effectively no shock absorbers. Nevermind the high G impacts.

Oh, and Lewis Hamilton is definitely still an idiot.

16. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Well, the fitness of F1 drivers is, relatively speaking, not so impressive. Jenson Button and Mark Webber used to do those iron man competitions, and they did well, but not much above average.

Also, how many hours per week of training do the drivers? I bet not so many as other athletes. After all, they have to work with the engineers in the car too, and modern cars are not so physically demanding.

SimCity3 likes this.
  17. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    'The best or nothing ' ..they appear to think Hamilton fit's this quite well over the years,condidering the nancy boy Premier League rewards for kicking a football around at weekends his salary is almost reasonable could he survive on 30 0r 20 or 10 or even 5 ? yeh of course, then again have you seen Adrian Newey's house ? he is reportedly on around 10 Mio pa the bloke is a legend, proper petrol head.

There are mega bucks swilling around in F1, better grab it while they can.

of2worlds likes this.
  18. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

How about enduring 12G naked, when landing on the back of your neck via a suplex, with no Hans device or helmet ?

And they don't need a mult-million ££ car in which to do it.

Take away an F1 car and there is nothing.

19. simpen

simpen Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2016
    Depends on what you call not so impressive. I believe Jenson bagged some outright wins in the highly competitive age group at the half distance ironmans.
    Also, G-force have never been higher in modern F1 cars. To be able to withstand that, is like training to collect punches from a fighter for 90 minutes on end. There is a reason why the excessive drinking, smoking and buggering off to the golf course instead training has disappeared and it's not marketing obligations.

I remember a long time ago on German tv, there was a program pitting all kinds of athletes against each other in a wide range of challenges. Motor sport drivers always came out on top.

greg328 and william like this.
  20. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Yeah, Jenson is a triathlete. He's the exception.

21. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    FYI: it was a rhetorical answer ....... :)

22. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    That only happens to the loser. :D

23. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Winners must first learn to lose :D

When we had the Tokyo training camp the fighters would be training from 6am through to 6pm, 6 days every week.

Their athletic durability was off the charts.

24. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Mercedes knows Lewis is not half the driver without the car. Don't get me wrong, put Lewis in a red bull car and he is second place all day long behind Verstappen in the Benz.

Lewis is asking way too much with the cap looming. 200 mill +10% is insane.

stavura, JJ, Bas and 3 others like this.
  25. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    HAM is very good but not better than some others and not worth $100M, FFS. I mean, really, with that car Bottas as #1 driver or Perez would bring home a championship at a fraction of that salary.

stavura, tbakowsky, Bas and 2 others like this.