Lewis Hamilton discussion thread | Page 73 | FerrariChat

Lewis Hamilton discussion thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by Flavio_C, Aug 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    This is Ferrarichat, the only step i will make twords an elton fan is with a blowtorch!

Picchu88 and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  2. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    But you would be wrong...;)

Jakuzzi likes this.
  3. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau

Yes it's really simple.
    Lauda promised Hamilton a WDC contender arriving in 2014. Lauda knew the Mercedes hybrid advantage well, and Lauda was a man of his word.

Hamilton had to wait an entire 12 months. Poor Lewis.

Bas, 375+, Senna1994 and 6 others like this.
  4. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    I consider 5th place midfield, totally fine if you don't agree. Also research Mclaren 2009, car was bad

5. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau

The MP4-24 in 2009 was bad for the initial 9 races, and Lewis was moaning like queen.
    McLaren transformed it into a title contender for Hungary onwards.

Hamilton's moaning worked.

Bas and Jakuzzi like this.
  6. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    I don't know what that has to do with Mercedes being a 5th place car and Hamilton still winning, but yes Lauda knew Hamilton was great (his words not mine) and wanted him, a man of his word. Team leaders have been giving drivers opportunities since the beginning of the sport, Senna, Schumi etc all have been given opportunities, hopefully you are not surprised by this.

7. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    I see you are complicating things again. The car was bad, it was behind development all year. The other teams did not stop and wait on Mclaren to get better, their cars got better as well. Still Hamilton won races. Simple.

8. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Raikonnen also won in a poor Ferrari in 09...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jakuzzi and ktu like this.
  9. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau

Hamilton won races once McLaren had transformed the car into a contender from Hungary. They were on a different development cycle to other teams in '09. Simple.

Just for you :)

https://www.redbubble.com/i/duvet-cover/Lewis-Hamilton-by-SoundWacky/69005641.XWIXB

10. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Cute, I'll play along..... Schumacher won races towards the end of 92 once Bennetton had transformed the car into a contender from Belgium.

lorenzobandini likes this.
  11. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    What makes you think he is not sincere about being a kook ?

12. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau

And yet Schumacher dragged the B192 onto the podium pre-Belgium in '92.

What did Hamilton achieve pre-Hungary in '09 ?

What exactly are you trying to prove ? :D

stavura, Picchu88 and Jakuzzi like this.
  13. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    PODIUM!! LOOOOL!! Stroll got a podium his rookie year!! Lol That's all you got? Joking aside we're just having fun man, at least I know I am Lol

14. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau

Yes Stroll managed to achieve what Hamilton couldn't. You've just proved it.

Yes all good fun :D

15. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Lol! there's a statement that is safe to say only inside the walls of Fchatt!

Jakuzzi likes this.
  16. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau

You're also proving that you're the Village Idiot :D

17. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    That's the other thing. With chaps like Toil spouting complete and utter pro-hamilton nonsense on the forum doesn't really do any favours to sane Lewis fans here.

18. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    I consider myself a sane Lewis fan.

19. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    No, I'm perfectly right: I checked the archives yesterday: the only drawback the Ferrari 640 had at the beginning of the '89 season was a massive deficit in engine power (610 bhp against 650 for the Honda V-10) that forced the Ferrari to run with very small wings to compensate its handicap in power, but the chassis was already better than the one of the McLaren.
    At the end of the season, the Ferrari V-12 was supposedly giving 645 bhp, against 670/675 for the Honda V-10, and the car was, on the whole, slightly better than the McLaren. The Ferrari didn't perform very well due to reliability trouble, especially at the beginning of the season, but on performance, it was on par with the McLaren. It is the Honda engine that made the difference.

Rgds

20. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I don’t recall Ferraris finishing a lot of racing back then but the sound of my main man Jean Alesi pushing that v12 was amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

375+, Beau365, jpalmito and 1 other person like this.
  21. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The noise of that V12 is what got me hooked on F1 as a little kid. 4-5 years old and glued to the TV o_O

22. ScreaminRevs

ScreaminRevs Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Bingo.

And it was the Honda engine (almost on par with the Renault) that was the main factor (aside from the obvious - the superior driver) in winning the title in '91.

23. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet

In 1991 the Renault V10 already offered a better compromise size-power than the Honda V12.

24. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    back when Renault could actually build engines ;)

Not quite sure the year, 94-95 Renault began really working on the blown diffuser of it's day...Schumacher used that to perfection.

Beau365 and 375+ like this.
  25. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    A few comments by Gordon Kimball, race engineer, about the 1990 McLaren that you might find of some interest... (Motorsport Magazine, September 2015)

[...]

McLaren’s close call in 1990
    Kimball had rejoined the team [= McLaren] mid-season, initially as an observer during a post-British Grand Prix test.
    “I wanted to watch for the first day, to see what I thought,” he says. “The car looked awful. The back end was jumping around on corner entry, they were locking up under braking and the minute they put the power down it understeered and just wouldn’t turn. It was the worst of a race car. To try to fix it they had done a number of weird things to the set-up. When I asked why, they really didn’t have an answer. Among other things they were running a lot of droop restriction in the front [limiting the amount of down travel in the suspension].

“I said to Ayrton, ‘Let’s talk about this droop restriction’ and he said it helped the front end.
    I said, ‘No it doesn’t, because the car doesn’t know it has droop restriction until it starts to lift the inside front wheel. Then you have no suspension at all because it’s bottomed out.’
    “We talked about it for quite a while, he asked questions and looked at me. Then he didn’t say anything and I realised he had completely the wrong idea of how the front end worked and what the effect on the car was. Now that I’d explained it to him and he understood it, he wasn’t going to admit that he didn’t know or that he was wrong. Ayrton accomplished a lot but he was a very difficult character”.

“At that test we didn’t do anything other than unwind a bunch of the odd things that had been done. The car improved and the next race was Hockenheim, where I had to be the luckiest engineer in the world. It was still the old Hockenheim with long straights, a big power track. McLaren had tested there before Silverstone and was 1.5sec off. We showed up with an improved set-up, but it wasn’t a track where handling was critical. It was about power and Honda brought an engine that was something else. The car was fast and I looked like a hero when in reality it was the engine that made the difference.

“We won the championship, but if Alain Prost and Ferrari had known how close it was we might not have done. We managed to fix a mechanical problem, but by the time we addressed the aero problem the championship was too much in the balance. Ayrton said, ‘I know what we’ve got, so let’s not try to sort this out through the last three races. Let’s go with what we know’.”

Rgds

Bas likes this.