Lewis Hamilton | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Lewis Hamilton

Discussion in 'F1' started by Senna1994, Mar 17, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    as much as i enjoyed Lewis's debut, we musnt't forget what a debut Nico made last year. he faltered as the season progressed. so, i'm keeping my fingers crossed on this, but i hope for the best for Lewis.

2. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    +1

What a great start for Hamilton, I knew he was going to impress but this was over the top. Kubicka looked solid as well.

HK was a bit disappointing but he should improve. Nico is, I think, a one-hit wonder.

3. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I cannot believe that no one has talked about the move this kid made at the start of the race. This will definitely be remembered as one of the race start moves of the year!

4. mdaj

mdaj Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2004
    KC,MO
    Full Name:
    Mark W.
    I thought it was a great move! My eyes shifted from Kimi to the two McLarens and I found myself rooting for Hamilton to get the pass on his teammate.

5. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    If Hamilton does win a few races this season and because of his ethnic back ground. Do you think Hamilton will give F1 more recognition around the world , just like Tiger Woods did with Golf? Will it become more popular here in the states?

6. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Without getting into a heavy debate, but while it has been mentioned on here.
    Lewis is a British half-cast like my self (half black and half white). And i know from talking to a lot of my mates that there are now a lot of British blacks/ethnics who are watching F1 for the first time because of him. So that must be a good thing in the international spirit of F1 racing.
    It can be likened to boxing i think. When there is a good white heavy weight fighter going for the world championship. there is a lot of hype about a "great white hope". well a lot of black/coloureds/ethnics see this in Hamilton as the "great black hope". This i think is not done in a malice way by both black or white. But its done, kind of the under dog;)
    MB: My own sons (12 &13) who are wanting to study motor sport technology at University in a few years time. Are please that Lewis is competing in F1. And to be honest when i first saw him onTV 10 years ago i had my fingers crossed that he would make it to F1.

7. 4re4lem

4re4lem Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    I too have followed him since that article in AW about a boy (10yrs old) signed by Ron Dennis. He is one to watch 3rd in his F1 debut? Wow look out MS.....

8. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I was at Phoenix when Jean Alesi made his F1 debut.
    He finished 4th...........

9. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    National Pride: Lewis is Trinidadian like some of us here. Yeah, he's British born but blood is blood.

Very excited to see him succeed. I've been following him for 3 years now.

10. Godfather

Godfather Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2002
    Fiorano
    I couldn't agree more, another Star was born but did nobody not notice that he went off twice during the race, I believe in the same corner.

11. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    FWIW - I was reading the thread and was SO happy that no one had mentioned his ethnicity but then...

No offence to the folks that brought it up, but in my idealistic little world, I dream of a time when we can recognize someone's achievements with no regard to their ethnicity (or religion or whatever).

12. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Nobody noticed Kubica and Hamilton mixing it up at the start?

13. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    His start made up for it.

14. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    I was also happy that it was not bought up, but it was as inevitable as the sun rising in the morning. Even Lewis him self and his farther knows the importance of the first black F1 driver in the UK. And have both given interviews to Brithish black media regarding this.
    No matter what walk of life the issue of ethnicity raises its head, every were. Mention the name Barack Obama to the average American;);) (IMO there may be trouble ahead)
    But i totally agree with you dude. I personally gave my view as a fellow halfcast Englishman and the current vibe in the black comunity in the UK. Being the only one on the forum, this qualifyed me to respond;)
    Lewis has been watched for years by alot of people both black and white, he is a talent in F1 IMO and i wish him all the best.

15. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    He is a talented driver first and foremost. He has earned media attention for performing on the track, not solely because of his skin color.

I am glad he is not another Danica Patrick, getting media attention for being the first black man in F1 but not having the ability to perform on track. Danica is the most publicized driver in the IRL yet she hasn't won a race since her karting days. I find that ridiculous when there are plenty of top notch drivers toiling in obscurity in that series.

Hamilton is the real deal, black or white, and that is what is most important, IMHO.

16. abster

abster Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    NJ
    We've only seen him in one race so far! I think he will surprise all of us!

17. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    This is going to come off as cold...but;
    If I was LH, I would not do interveiws with the black media.
    Instead, I would do interveiws with "The media".
    If we all want to be equal, then do as a person who is equal, would do.
    By indentifying yourself as a minority, you are.
    Does this make sence?
    I know, easier said than done.

18. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    I wonder what his contract is with McLaren. During the Speed TV broadcast, Varsha brought up the story that Hamilton's birth mother had been unsure as to whether she could afford the airfare from the UK to Australia to attend the race. I thought that RD's #2 driver ought to be able to afford a plane ticket for his mum!

19. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    He didn't go "off" the track he ran over the curbing....that's still on track, IMO.

Lot's of folks use it that's why it's there!

I've seen Schumi do worse, when his attention wandered.......

Anyway, well done and any rookie would be proud of the result!

20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Dan,

I thought that was a cheap shot on the part of SPEED.....who the %^$$& are they, to judge interfamily dynamics???

If I were LH, I'd remember that a long time and maybe have a choice comment for Varsha somewhere when he least expects it.....

Your 'parents' are the people who raised you and loved you. "Birth mother" WTF is THAT??? Varsha says some really stupid things sometimes....

21. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I don't think Varsha was "judging" anything, just mentioning that the birth mother couldn't afford a ticket. I don't think he had any business mentioning it though.

A birth mother gives birth, then basically doesn't raise the child. Hamilton was raised by his father and stepmother. It shouldn't have been mentioned......tainted his debut a little.

22. 250gto

250gto Karting

Nov 23, 2005
    France Marly le Roy
    also don't forget Jean pierre jarier

23. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I was just waiting for one of the Speed TV dweebs to refer to Hamilton as an "african-american".
    (Um, he's British.)

But I guess they were too busy debating whether Kimi or Raikkonen would pit first. ;)

When people taking surveys ask me what my race is, I tell them "Indy 500".
    (I'd say "Spa" or "1000 Lakes" or the "POR", but most yanks haven't heard of those.)

24. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Let the circle jerk begin.

He didn't seem that great. How many times did he go off in the same turn? That was damn tricky. If the car bounced the other way instead of back on track, what would you say?

25. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    another talented driver who had no luck. Chris Amon also...