Lexus LC 500? | FerrariChat

Lexus LC 500?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by redcaruser, Oct 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    My current daily driver is a Maserati Granturismo Sport (MY 2014), now I'm thinking about purchasing a new dd. Next to the new Granturismo (MY 2018) I really like the Lexus LC 500 Sport+, it is also a V8 NA and the modern design I like very well.

Until today I have no experiences with Lexus. With the Masi I'm very happy, had never a single problem with this car (126'000km).

Any thoughts, any experiences?
    Thank you in advance!

2. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    I heard the gear selection are weird and the steering feel may not be up to par.

3. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    I ad a RC Sport for two years. Nice DD, pretty quick, easy to drive dependable. I got on the list when I saw the prototypes of the LC500. My was delivered in May, one of the first. While the lines are gorgeous, it just did nothing for me like a Maser ( my wife has a GT Spyder). One of my friends to me to buy it and he would flip it, glad I did not as most dealers already have several sitting on their lot even though they expected a huge back order.
    Test drive one and see what you think, I would enjoy hearing your opinion as I di think they are gorgeous but "sterile"

4. Dave1442397

Dave1442397 Karting

Feb 11, 2007
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    I think this review of the car does a good job explaining what is actually is as opposed to what might have been expected.

5. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Thank you very much for your input, it is realy valuable for me!

In the video I've found an interesting statement at 7'55", "...the LC does look like a sports car but it is not, it is really just a luxury coupe...", perfect, exactly what I'm looking for!

An exclusive design is very important to me in decision-making, I want to feel always a joy if I approach the car. In my eyes the Granturismo has become more and more beautiful over the years, a very sustainable design solution with wonderful lines and proportions.
    I wonder: how sustainable is the LC-design? At the moment I feel the LC as extremely exciting, nice proportions with many interesting details... (too playful??)

6. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#6 Tcar, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    That grille...

7. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    IMHO, 10 speeds is far too many to keep track of, especially if the last 4 are decimal polishing. Would be nice if the red line could be upped to 8K. Agree that a radio that can't be changed while the wheels are rolling is a PIA. Can't tell from the literature if a CD is included standard to get around the radio limitation.

8. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I’m sure you can actually change the radio when the car is on the move. That’s been debunked. Motor Trend has a tendency to say stupid things in their videos for affect. Similar to Top Gear except the audience expected it with Top Gear.

9. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    #9 INTMD8, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    I got rid of my ISF because I couldn't stand the 8 speed trans.

THe LC 500 is geared so tall (2.97 differential) that wide open acceleration will usually still only use the first four gears of the 10 speed trans.

Top of 4th gear is 109mph

7th gear is 1-1 8-10 overdrive. 7100rpm in 10th is 340mph. Of course not possible but gives you some idea of the gearing. It would drive me crazy.

10. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I test drove the LC 500 because I thought it was going to be a more limited production car like the LFA only minted at four or five times as many.
    Wrong. The salesman said.."They are only going to release 20,000 in the southern states this year".
    Nice cars with lots of tech features but for the same money (Ok a bit more) one can get a CPO 599.

11. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    all i have is i saw one on the road the other day and liked it. thats a big accomplishment for lexus

12. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Exactly. They have not made an attractive mass production car since the 2nd generation GS in the late 90s. They have not made a car that is sexy and gorgeous in almost 20 years. This car is a stunner. Great design harmony, and actually pulls off that funky grille, unlike the rest of the herd where the grille looks terrible.

The only decent looking car they have made since the late 90s was the revamped IS in 2006. Decent enough looking car, not bad, but not really that pretty either. They love wierd accents and bubbles everywhere. You would think Bangle has been designing their cars this whole time.

Lexus was a big hit in the beginning because they took basically everything that people loved about German cars (minus engine grunt) and mated them with the reliability of a japanese car. The first LS400s are legendary and still look great today. Once they stopped cloning the German styling and started going cheaper on materials, I lost interest. Owned a GS400 and Gs430 second Gen. after my 1991 LS400 and while they were both nice to look at, fast, and great cars, they lacked the sparkle and just couldn't keep me interested. The LS400 was 100x the car, and I still miss it to this day.

I welcome the high produciton number. Just means you'll be able to get a bargain on one in 7-10 years. If it's a good car then it will be a great buy as a cruiser