Lexus LFA (large pics) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Lexus LFA (large pics)

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by 1SICKLEX, Oct 21, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fred2

Fred2 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2005
    nj
    #26 Fred2, Oct 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. VorteC

VorteC Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2009
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Elan
    This is already being discussed in the General Automotive section.

They're only making 500 of them, so they'll be sold before production even starts probably. It's a halo/flagship car for Lexus... meant to boost their image and in turn increase sales for the mainstream Lexus models... hence why they can afford to take a loss on each car.

3. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    ugly at any price.... typical Lexus.

4. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Moved and merged.

5. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm not too sure about the looks, but the car sounds FANTASTIC!

Regarding the price, yeah it's expensive, but there are plenty of people with money that don't want Ferraris and Lambos, much to the chagrin of many of the posters on this forum. I don't think they'll have a problem selling them. Trying to justify the price is ludicrous--there are plenty of people that think Ferrari's are ridiculously overpriced. When you're paying 300K for a car, as much as people on here want to justify in their minds that they're buying "tradition" and "heritage," you're ultimately just buying a car. Saying Ferrari can charge 300K for a car with similar performance, but Lexus can't because they don't have heritage is ridiculous. Koeniggsegg didn't have "heritage." Pagani didn't have "heritage." Lamborghini's "heritage" is in tractors. If anyone really cares, Toyota actually has a lot of racing heritage--just because they haven't been as successful in F1 as Ferrari shouldn't be discounted. Just my opinion...

6. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Karting

Mar 3, 2009
    back in Jersey
    I think most people on this forum love Ferrari and I can't see any Ferrari lover getting this car. Reminds me of the Nissan GT-R...

7. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Good god it looks like a Pokemon. And why is every single picture of this performance car sideways in a cloud of smoke? I'm guessing they think it's every driftboy's wet dream. The GT-R is restrained elegance in comparison.

Gotta catch 'em all!

8. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Guess I'm the only one...but I think it's a cool looking car...and I'm all for competition on top of that.

9. Hexnut72

Hexnut72 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2006
    Exclusive? WTH does that have to do with anything? Seriously, I can give you a one of one turd in a bag, but that doesn't mean it is worth much.

This car is effin ugly and does not raise the performance bar enough to justify the price. I mean really, who would take one of these over a Carrera GT? Even a used Carrera GT. Actually who would take it over an F430? And when the 458 hits these shores? I would take a 458 and if I want a wicked fast ugly Japanese car grab a GT-R and have two cars for less than the price of the Lexus.

10. MR2turbo4evr

MR2turbo4evr Rookie

Sep 11, 2009
    You can call it ugly all you want, but you can't argue about the performance. It does 0-60 in 3.6 seconds, goes 202mph, revs to 9000rpm and has more horsepower per liter than a Ferrari Enzo. The car might be overpriced, but somebody out there WILL pay $375,000 to own one of them....hell I would. I don't know why people are getting so upset about this car. Nobody is forcing you to buy one of them. Why not give Toyota some credit to build something interesting aside from the boring econoboxes they have been making since they killed off the Supra.

11. 1SICKLEX

1SICKLEX Karting
    BANNED

Jul 26, 2004
    Everywhere
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Here are some specs. Its great that there is another exotic to choose from. Ferrari has led the way for decades and they encourage other car makers to make such incredible cars. This is a case in point.

Below is a long read but its the story of the car and most details...

12. SilverF20C

SilverF20C Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    You should quote War and Peace too. It's shorter. ;)

13. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    A German mag got its hands on one of the production cars.

Apparently, the car lacks torque, the gearbox/clutch isn't up to the task. Brakes should be great though.

14. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    #39 DriveAfterDark, Oct 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Turd in a bag vs limited high end supercar. Worst. Comparison. Ever.

Btw you're on my ignore list now.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
    I think like with all other Japanese cars (except a limited few, and none of them are super sports cars), this is ugly.

They can't really design striking cars over there.

16. Hexnut72

Hexnut72 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2006
    I know you won't see this but, I wasn't comparing a "supercar" to a bag of pooh, I was showing that just because something is "exclusive" doesn't make it worth a fat wad-o-cash. I guess you missed that.

I want more supercars, the more the better. I just hate that we have waited and waited and waited for this car (and are still waiting for the NSX) and when they finally pull the cover off it is ugly. Most cars have 1 or 2 bad angles. This one has no good angles.

There are lots of fast cars to choose from on the market. Several faster and better looking than this one. In my opinion this is not a supercar. By the numbers a ZR1 Vette would match up fairly well. The Vette shows us that being a super car is about more than numbers. Just because Toyota is only going to make 500 and charge too much does not make it a supercar. It just makes it a low volume, overpriced sports car. And an ugly, low volume, overpriced sports car at that.

Did I mention that I am not fond of the looks of this thing? :D

17. Skyler

Skyler Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Skyler
    Leaving branding aside, you could say the same for the Lamborghini Reventon; asking too much for not much more performance...

... but they still sold, eventually.

I highly doubt this one will sell out quickly. Bad timing, no heritage, very high price, waited too long to debut, sub-'exotic' brand, list goes on...

18. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D
    youre assuming it will trade hands in the 2ndary mkt.

19. MR2turbo4evr

MR2turbo4evr Rookie

Sep 11, 2009

You are definitelly entitled to your opinion, but could you please explain to me your definition of "supercar"? Just because a vehicle is "ugly", doesn't mean it can't be a supercar. In my opinion, a supercar has to perform well (acceleration and handling) and be exclusive and expensive. If the term "supercar" is solely based on appearance, how can the Veyron be called a supercar? The LFA performs well, is exclusive, expensive (maybe too expensive, but that's another topic) and hand built. I can't see why one wouldn't be able to call it a supercar.

I actually quite like the looks of the LFA. I'm glad they chose to work on their own unique design and style instead of copying the looks of Ferraris or Lamborghinis. I'm sure they will sell every one of the 500 cars they are building, and as long as their owners enjoy the looks, that's really all that matters. It certainly has the performance and exclusivity to be Lexus' halo car without being the most beautiful vehicle in the world.

20. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D

pretty myopic comment. Quite a few Japanese models are designed in the US.

21. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D
    c'on. "super" is so over used these days: Supercar, supermodel, superstar, superfood, superwhatever. Its superstupid.

22. Hexnut72

Hexnut72 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2006
    #47 Hexnut72, Oct 23, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
    You are right, it is just my opinion. No reason to get mad and huff off like noekult.

Supercar... Hmmm. Lets start by making a list.

I would say the F40, F50 and Enzo fit the bill. Zonda, Koenigsegg, Veyron, Porsche CGT, maybe the SLR and for sure the Mac F1. These cars go above and beyond. The Veyron is not pretty but, it pretty much sets the bar for performance from a factory car. It is so over the top (16 cylinders, four turbos, a bajillion and half radiators etc... ) in execution and performance that it is clearly a super car even though I think it is homely.

Cars that I would not consider supercars that some might. F430, Gallardo/LP 560, Murci/LP 640, ZR1, Nissan GT-R, AMG (black series SL might be).

The fact that (imho) the Toyota is not pretty is only part of the problem. It doesn't set the bar high enough to be a supercar. I am going to pick on the Vette some more here, even though I actually like it and respect it. It puts up supercar numbers performance wise, but most people will argue that it is not a supercar because it is "just" a Vette. If Chevy called it the Dulcimer Quantis 3000 and tripled the price and slashed production would that make it a supercar? There are lots of intangibles that add up to a supercar. I don't think that the Toyota has those. Again, this is just my opinion.

23. MR2turbo4evr

MR2turbo4evr Rookie

Sep 11, 2009
    Thanks for clarifying that. Your Corvette example makes sense.

24. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    I cant believe how ugly it is, i mean put some decent effort at least to make it somewhat appealing agains the Euro trash and American muscle, a ZR1 is far far more appealing than this, and too think Toyota has such a high budget for RnD, they could of of made it decent looking, the GTR is far superior in that regard.

25. 288gt-uh-oh

288gt-uh-oh Karting

Dec 30, 2006
    When's the last time you saw an Asian supermodel. They don't exist, like the Asian supercar. It's in their DNA.