LF caliper lost by USPS | FerrariChat

LF caliper lost by USPS

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by It's Ross, Aug 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #1 It's Ross, Aug 19, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    Yes indeedio, they sure did. Sent for rebuilding and they lost it.
    SO, I am in need of another, just a core is fine
    Can anyone help me..PLEASE?

2. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Ferrparts.

3. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    You can also buy the BMW 2002 ti caliper (see ATE ref on https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/rebuild-rear-brake-calipers.449537/#post-143402109) and add the ferrari spacer (which requires to change the seal that will get damaged during disasembly). Spacer and seal available through http://www.ferrari400parts.com/

Not so long ago on the european Oscaro and MisterAuto websites they were selling the Ferrari caliper cheaper (~250€!) than the BMW one (~300€) . I do not have the ATE references any-more, but should someone post the ref, I could just check again if these calipers are still available.

4. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Thanks guys. I'm hoping to find a decent core in the USA.
    The bolts sold by ferrari400.com have incorrect head style

5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Thats for the rear not the front.

6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Problem is that caliper is for a daytona and boxer as well. Hard to come by and expensive. The mercedes casting lacks the extra oil line and after countless hours of research I feel the calipers are Ferrari specific because of the type of dual braking system they insisted on.

7. 15765

15765 Formula Junior

May 14, 2012
    Las Vegas NV
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    I Have some extra cores that may be usable. Where are you located, they are heavy and shipping cost a lot. I am in Nevada.

Chuck

8. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    The thread was for the rear but in this thread Arvid provided the ATE references for "all corners". I am just quoting it again on this "front caliper thread" just for the record

ferrari400parts does also provide service for "all corners" (see http://www.ferrari400parts.com/ferrari400partsshop.php?category=1&view=productListPage). Unfortunately the look of the alternative bolts does not comply with Ross project.

9. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    As far as the bolts are concerned, superformance do provide the proper bolts for the 308, maybe these can be used for the 400? At least this would be worth a phone call as they may be able to source the proper length?

10. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Raemin,

I cannot speak for all of the models, but for the 365 GT4 2+2 the caliper bolts are different in length and diameter between the front and rear calipers. I believe the rear's are 7mm and the fronts are 8mm, but I would have to check. When I looked on Superformance, I only found the M7 size in two lengths (60 and 65mm) and I think the 60mm length is what is needed (for the rears). I cannot comment further on these bolts, as I did not order any. On my car the rear calipers had standard Allen head heads as opposed to the fronts which are "mushroom" chamfered style.

Cheers,

Sam

11. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

Just a follow up to my previous post... The rears bolts are M7x60mm and the Fronts are M8x90mm. The rear bolt heads are not allen heads, but Torx/Spline style and are not the "mushroom"/chamfered like the fronts. Originally I had thought that the rear's should also have the same bolt head style, but looking at the parts manual it shows the rear caliper bolts to have non mushroom/chamfered style heads.

Cheers,

Sam

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #12 It's Ross, Aug 24, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    Well, here's what I've learned. Aside that I'd love to get the fellow who designed the plumbing and it's bracketry around these by the scruff of his neck.
    The basic caliper is an off the shelf Ate as used up front on the contemporary BMW 633csi. Ferrari added a spacer between the halves that along with thinner pads allows the much thicker Ferrari rotors. The spacers dictate longer bolts(Spline drive M9 with a tapered head), longer pins and a wider anti rattle clip.
    With the proper BMW core all you would need is the Ferrari specific hardware. As you'd expect the Ferrari specific bits are the tougher part to come by.
    Centric is manufacturing new replacements so if originality is no concern one could cobble up fresh calipers with those and salvaged specific bits from the originals. The OE Ate/BMW cores are in short supply so even the remains of such a project has value.
    Chuck, thanks for the offer, I've located and bought a NOS caliper which was the most expedient solution.
    My re-commissioning is nearly done now. Fresh TRXs on newly refinished wheels last week. A thorough cleaning next and away she goes.

raemin and Il Tifoso like this.
  13. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Wow thank you! I googled everything I could think of and never found one that had the two lines. Thanks again!