Liberty Media Group gets F1 acquisition anti-trust approval | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Liberty Media Group gets F1 acquisition anti-trust approval

Discussion in 'F1' started by intrepidcva11, Dec 19, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    MARCH 22, 2017

Todt agrees V10 return unthinkable

Jean Todt has joined fellow F1 boss Ross Brawn in saying a return of loud, normally-aspirated engines in the sport is "unthinkable".

The volume, complexity and expense of the current 'power unit' technology has been controversial since its inception, and talks about the rules beyond 2020 are set to begin.

But Brawn, who is F1's new sporting boss, said this week that going back to V8, V10 or V12 technology is "unthinkable".

"However, we are thinking about the evolution of the hybrid engine," he said.

Now, FIA president Todt has backed Brawn's prediction about the future of the F1 power unit.

"Everybody's vision is to try to do better for formula one," the Frenchman is quoted by the German news agency SID.

"We must think about new opportunities and innovations, and always look forward. But it is unthinkable to leave the hybrid engines -- the V10 and V12 of the past should stay in the past, even if it is unreasonable to spend money each year on new technologies," Todt added.

The FIA chief also praised F1's new owners Liberty Media, even though the sport's long-time supremo Bernie Ecclestone has been ousted.

"They have new ideas and are very professional, and will create new opportunities for communication," said Todt.

"The new cars? I think we will see a good show. Bernie Ecclestone gave a lot to formula one, but he gained a lot as well. Now I hope that at 86 he is happy to see his child in good hands," he added.

Finally, Todt spoke about the forthcoming FIA presidential elections, saying it is not a certainty that he will run.

"If there are younger people who want my place I'll have to think seriously," said the 71-year-old.

2. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    This is probably a reprint of what he said on March 8.....and has already been discussed at length in another forum I believe...but anyways

3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I am not denying that, but just reiterating the 2 facts:

- turbo act a mufflers and reduce the noise compared to a free flow atmo engine.

- turbo engines will never revs a high as an atmospheric engine, because of the counter-pressure in the exhaust system.

People who have worked in turbo engines, or adapted turbo to atmo engines know this.

4. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    It looks like you are barking up the wrong tree here ...

The move to introduce hybrid engines in F1 has never been made to save fuel in organising the championship.

Rightly or wrongly, the new power unit rules were chosen to accelerate the development of a new engine system, and to showcase the benefit of its application. What better place to test a new technology than at the pinnacle of motorsport?

The benefits are evident, in that present F1 cars can cover GP distances at comparable speed whilst using less than half the fuel their counterparts of 10 years ago.

Unfortunately, this development has been made in full view of F1 followers, with many failures, and gremlins witnessed by the public. Many people have expressed discontent and deserted F1, but the technical fall-out is undeniable.

The problem with F1 is that it tries to be too many things: a sport, an entertainment and a research laboratory. Many people only like the 2 first, but it's often the 3rd one that motivate constructors to participate.

I am sure that even the hopeless Honda engineers will have learnt something of their 3 years of struggle to come to understand the new technology. That justifies Honda's involvement in F1.

5. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    MARCH 23, 2017

Liberty to sell paddock passes to the public

F1's new owners Liberty Media have followed through on a promise to start opening up the paddock to the public.

In the Bernie Ecclestone era, the now ousted 86-year-old fiercely guarded the sanctity of the paddock and the elusive 'passes' that provided rare access.

This approach has been criticised by some, including German motor racing legend Hans-Joachim Stuck.

"When the fans see how everything is sealed off, I can only say 'No wonder they leave F1 behind'," he told the German business magazine Sponsors.

However, as recently as last week, Ecclestone has been defending that philosophy.

"In F1, we have been running a five-star Michelin restaurant, not a hamburger joint," he told the Mail on Sunday.

Ecclestone hinted at the new approach to be taken by Liberty, saying "They have an American culture and at an American race everyone is in the paddock and the pits".

Indeed, it appears that Liberty is already changing tack.

The company announced ahead of the Australian grand prix that a new initiative called 'F1 Experiences' will give fans the ability to buy paddock access.

"We want people to experience the thrill of this exhilarating sport and that is what the programme will deliver," said Liberty's F1 commercial chief Sean Bratches.

But there is already resistance to Liberty's new approach.

One source told us a team sponsor thinks it will "devalue the currency" of F1, as paddock passes "are at the heart of most deals".

"Although they will still get them (passes), they won't be anywhere near as valuable because anyone will be able to buy access," the source added.

But Liberty Media seems determined to push ahead, with new F1 sporting boss Ross Brawn telling Auto Bild: "It's a fact that people need to get more for their money."

6. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'm aware. I'm one of those people ; )

7. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    The star belly sneeches will be so upset!

8. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    MARCH 27, 2017

Liberty will not set F1 rules says Todt

Jean Todt has made clear the FIA will continue to make the rules in formula one.

As the Liberty Media era begins in earnest, new F1 sporting boss Ross Brawn said in Melbourne he is prepared to "fight" for changes if the spectacle is not right.

FIA president Todt, also in Melbourne, responded: "I'm glad the Liberty people are thinking about the future.

"I am willing to listen to their thoughts about the regulations," the Frenchman is quoted by Auto Motor und Sport, "just as I respect any input from any side.

"But the final responsibility will always be in the hands of the FIA," Todt insisted. "We make and control the rules."

The next set of rules is already being thought about because, while the new cars are more aggressive looking and faster, most agree that the spectacle could suffer due to one-stop races and a lack of overtaking.

Todt admitted that is a problem.

"The cars are more spectacular and faster," he said, "but I'm a bit worried about the racing and the gaps between the teams.

"As nice as it is that Mercedes has an opponent in Ferrari, the gap of 2 seconds from the midfield to the top is too much.

"Another thing that surprised me is that we were promised a time improvement of up to 5 seconds, but pole was only 1.7 seconds beneath last year's time. Perhaps this is due to the circuit only," Todt added.

Nonetheless, rule changes are already being discussed, including the dire need for cheaper, simpler and louder engines to satisfy the trackside spectators.

But Todt insists F1 is actually in good health.

"Your question implies that we are talking about a dying sport," he said. "The organiser in Melbourne sold 300,000 tickets, where last year it was only 220,000.

"The media centre is also full, so there is no crisis here. Why do we always see only the negative? Let a few races pass and then we can make a judgement."

9. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

10. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel

Happy that they are thinking of the Fans.

"Bratches is also keen to see cities, not just the tracks, embrace Formula 1 when it comes to town and give all fans "extraordinary experiences".

“Our promoters are a significant component of how this business operates and an important partner in terms of going back to the theme of fans and how our brand touches fans,” Bratches added."

11. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    MAY 11, 2017

Liberty signs Ferrari spokesman?

A former Ferrari spokesman is returning to formula one.

In the Italian team's famous Todt-Schumacher era, Italian Luca Colajanni was the communications chief.

Ferrari insider Leo Turrini now reveals on his Quotidiano blog that Colajanni is returning to the sport to be in charge of new F1 owner Liberty Media's communications arm.