Liberty planning F1 budget cap | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Liberty planning F1 budget cap

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, Dec 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I believe adults should be able to choose if they want to kill themselves with tobacco...or alcohol...or cheeseburgers. Alcohol is the next target of the people that want to tell other people how to live. There has already been pressure on the FIA to ban alcohol advertising as well. Maybe one day we can all live really boring lives to 150. I'll pass.

2. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    So surely you must advocate a minimum amount of exercise and specific diet? Must be enforced as well somehow or have penalties? The things people eat and how much they exercise has a massive effect on their health and the impact on your taxes.

This is the slippery slope and why you can't tell people how to live.

3. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    What about fast food and soft drinks? Ban those too?

Heart disease.

Diabetes.

Are you serious?

4. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Good for you William - sincerely mean that.

Just not good for me ; )

5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Adults yes, but most people are attracted to tobacco well before adulthood.

6. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Yes, those should be discouraged and banned from advertising.

This should come in UK before long.

7. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Problem is William...it won't end there. Be careful what you wish for ma-man.

8. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    This thread took a scary turn......................

9. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Marketing directly to children should be banned.

Problem is that kids are going to try things. Nothing you can do will stop that. There will always be something else. The reason they try "bad" or "cool" things is because they are forbidden, or not the norm.

You can't control free will by trying to eliminate every bad option. That's no longer free will. That's a linear path to a life of robothood.

10. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I agree. the fact that Tobacco sponsorship is banned is Crazy. its more about politics and money vs. actual health and wellness. Today- you can log on and see anything you like about Smoking - legal or not... so How will racing cars being sponsored by Marlboro drive people to smoke? if you want to kill your self by smoking - fine by me. if you get cancer and have to be treated by public healthcare - then when you check that box that says you smoked and for 20 -30 years, then you coverage should be reduced by that much. much simpler. and yes, I liked it better when teams had tobacco money - it was a better sport back then..... perhaps they could be sponsored by e cigarette companies? when Pot becomes legal ... what will that advert look like?

11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #86 william, Dec 20, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2016

It's to create an image. Why do you thing tobacco companies need to associate their products with glamorous activities like sport, motor racing, the outback, cowboys, pretty women, etc...

Because it show an enviable environment in your sub-conscience and depicts smoking as something cool, something that should be part of your way of life, something that made you part of society, etc...

I think a few people on this forum should have attended some advertising classes and learn how publicity is a tool to convince people to try something, to buy a product or to make a certain choice. Advertising is very clever; in fact, it convinces everyday people to buy things they don't need, they can't really afford and that are harmless to them!

And another question, Spirot, if putting its name on cars had no benefit for Marlboro, why do you think every year they spend £100M+ for the privilege and have been doing it for many years? Why did Philip Morris start to put its brand on BRM, then McLaren and Ferrari later?

12. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The primary goal of entrenched product advertising is not to create new users, but to get users of competitor products to shift brands. Believe me, there's no one in a boardroom that believes painting your car like a brand of cigarettes is going to spurn new smokers.

13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

That excuse is so, but so worn out ... It didn't even convince the legislators.

Every year, there are hundreds of thousands of new smokers (if not millions), mostly teen-agers; surely something must have attracted them to tobacco.

14. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Not in the US:

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/tables/trends/cig_smoking/

There's no question that targeting kids, as cig companies did in the US in advertising was wrong. But that's a lot different (creating a character and story - eg Joe Camel) than simply putting a logo on a car.

15. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Because they can not show reality: a bunch of addicted standing in the freezing cold outside the pub in the designated smoking area trying to get their dose as fast as possible to get back inside into the warm to their friends ;)

16. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Well, I'm sure its the same reason that Shell, Agip, Digital, Boss, Dieago, Johnny Walker, Chandon, Martini, Kasperskey labs, Heuer, Rolex, and others do it.... I wear Boss because they sponsor racing - not because I need clothes. these are high end brands ... Marlboro is trying to equate themselves to a high end lifestyle... I don't think anyone who never smoked before - saw an F-1 race and said - I need to light up... in the 90's I spent a bit of time with Ligier team, as they were sponsored by Gitanes... you could get free cigarettes all you liked ... but just because they were there did not mean people who never smoked went after them... Smoking is a personal choice - becoming an addiction. you don't need F-1 to turn you into a smoker.

So when Surtees was sponsored by Durex - condoms... did that make people start having protected sex?

17. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Are you going to ban a clothing company because their clothes are made in China by underpaid child workers? We can go on an on about this topic. I'm less concerned by someone making an informed decision about smoking while watching an F1 race than I am about terrorist killing people by the thousands these days or countries like Russia invading other countries yet still host F1 races. Taking all of this to a logical conclusion... we'd end up just sitting inside in a dimly lit room hiding from all the bad things in the world.

Jesus... F1 has enough problems. Restricting what logo they paint on the car should be the least of all topics.

18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    You can deny the power of advertising if that's what you want, but it exists for a reason.

Some of it is unethical; that's what I am saying.

The ban on tobacco advertising was introduced for very valid reasons.

F1 had to look somewhere for another source of funding.

I doubt if we will ever turn the clock back.

19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    You may also consider these issues if you want, but be careful about accusing Russia of aggression. "Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stone!"
    If we boycott Every country that "invade" another one, it will be impossible to organise a world championship!

20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
  21. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Bad idea. What F1 needs is less regulation, whether financial, sporting, technical, whatever.

22. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
  23. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    If a team buys its car from a competitor (customer car) then those teams should not be in the running for the Constructors championship (WCC), and thereby not be in line for the $$$ based on where the Constructors place at the end of the year.

24. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    No one buys their chassis from a competitor in F1, only engines and some other parts as allowed by the rules.

25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    The Constructors Championship could be changed to a Team Championship.

In the past (60s and 70s), customer cars could score points in the WCC.

At the time only the first car of any constructors scored points, unlike now when the 2 cars score points.

That's why some teams used to enter only one car.

It's Bernie who imposed 2-car teams, banned customer cars and changed the scoring method.