Life in Jubail? | FerrariChat

Life in Jubail?

Discussion in 'Middle East' started by kenny1022, Aug 18, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kenny1022

kenny1022 Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2008
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Hello:

I was offered a position in Jubail and just wondering what life out there would be like for an American. Unfortunately, I think I will be leaving my Modena in the States. Boo hoo hoo.

Thanks.

Ken

2. vipermann123

vipermann123 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2005
    Irvine, Ca
    Full Name:
    Uzy Malik
    My advise ... if the money is good, then take it.

Remember..money earned overseas is "Taxfree".

3. MGD416

MGD416 Formula 3

Jun 4, 2006
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Matt
    i saw jubail and it jumped at me; my grandfather actually built jubail from nothing. did the whole master plan and oversaw the building. He hasnt been back in quite a while though, but says how much its grown from when he built it is incredible

4. kenny1022

kenny1022 Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2008
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    The civil infrastructure project (industrial city build out) is what I would be working on. It is quite amazing just not so sure about the no alcohol, pork, women(?) part....

FYI - it's not tax-free just the first $85k I believe...

5. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    It would be somewhat remote, but you're not far from Baharain, which you can drive to from Saudi... and once there you will have no problem with any of the 'missing' items...

I know a lot of guys who live in Saudi, and rent an apartment in Bahrain for a year just to have a place to stay on the weekends....PLUS there's Senor Paco's Mexican Resturant; with some of the best smoked baby back ribs you'll ever have...(but the worst Margaritas)

PM me if you want more info... I've been here 18 years now...

Mike in Kuwait

6. kenny1022

kenny1022 Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2008
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Thanks, Mike. I heard good things about Bahrain. Distance-wise it's about 120 miles from Jubail I believe, but I heard that doesn't give an accurate picture. Supposedly getting across the border is what makes the trip somewhat difficult.

Well, I'm still in the negotiation stages of the assignment. I guess if the money's good, sacrifices could be made...

7. BAD930

BAD930 Karting

Oct 16, 2004
    Bouncing Around
    Full Name:
    Shmuley
    Hi Kenny

Jubails a fairly remote place out in the eastern province of saudi, has some of the big refinieries out there. Nothing to do out there at all, has quite a nice beach though.

Whats available there, No Pork, No Women, No Night Life as you know it. Internet is censored, But you can get access to Satellite channels that are unrestricted. No Alcohol although there is local brew floating around that (a) you wouldnt want to be caught with as and (b) you wouldnt want to drink it anyway, its call Sid , or Saudi Sid.. horrid stuff but knocks you otu cold .. hehe

You're nearest source of sanity is Bahrain which would be at least a 60 minute drive to the border (King Fahd Causeway) depending on what time of the day you hit the causeway and immigration it could take you at best 35 mins to at worst 4 hours to clear, especially if try to cross anytime from a Wednesday afternoon to late Friday night. This is not an exageration I travel this Saudi Bahrain route on a regular basis and there is no rules to what goes on at the causeway, I'm sure any Khobar or Dammam people can attest to this.

All in all Saudi is a good place to work, you have the potential to earn big dollars and nothing to spend your money on. But it is a very tough life dont for a minute think its cruisy.

I lived in Saudi for a few years and as much as i love the place just couldnt do it again. thats why I now live in Bahrain.

Good luck with your decision

8. kenny1022

kenny1022 Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2008
    Full Name:
    Kenny

Thanks much for the info. It definitely paints a similar picture to what I was imagining. Finding things to occupy the time at least during the weekdays is gonna be a challenge. Also, the time away from my Ferrari. I take it that I shouldn't even consider bringing it, if I could. Really not sure about the decision. Sounds like it could be potentially just plain miserable. Doha would be the other option but the hardship pay is practically non-existent.

9. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    Why live somewhere else when you are part of the country with the most freedom in the world? So many people do not realize what they have, there are so many people who would love to be where you live and have what you have. Why give it up for cash???

10. kenny1022

kenny1022 Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2008
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Sometimes you don't know what you're missing until you experience it. I've heard positive things from some of my colleagues who are already other there - learned about different cultures, became more worldly, realized boozing isn't a hobby and maybe even appreciated the US more.

11. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I lived in a tent at the port of Jubail from August to December of 1990, boy that sucked. All I got for it was a cheap medal too. ;)
    Nothing much there, but the infrastructure that was built in the middle of know, and at that time was sitting doing nothing, is amazing.

12. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    It's not like he's rescinding his citizenship, he's just going abroad for a few years. Everyone should at least once or twice in their lives. It tends to re-center a lot of things in your mind.

13. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    And a long term visit to the Kingdom of Saud will definitely get you to appreciate America and the western world in a way that is unexplainable.

14. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

"And a long term visit to the Kingdom of Saud will definitely get you to appreciate America and the western world in a way that is unexplainable."
    I second that! Been there, done that..and it was a good experience all things considered....