Life on Mars & organized religion | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Life on Mars & organized religion

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by WILLIAM H, Mar 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    1 of my biggest complaints about the Semitic faiths is that they are so Earth centric & also so overly concerned iwth the Middle East as if the rest of the Universe didnt exist.

I imagine that God would have sprinkled all the habitable planets with his presence, probably the unihabitable ones too

2. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    I've always wanted to see a cartoon of an evangelical-type asking a Martian or any other alien: "Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your personal lord & savior?"
    Organized religion has resisted and suppressed when possible anything that puts a chink in their dogma, from Gallileo to Darwin, even as most recently as last month where the Georgia Dept of Education was trying to excise the word 'evolution" from school texts and replace with "biological changes over time." Fortunately, more intelligent-types prevailed.

3. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Reminds me of a story about a room full of arguing astronomers, some1 slipped up to the blackboard & wrote "Is there intelligent life on Earth?"
    Bunch of maroons in GA it seems

4. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Man did not evolve. Technology did, at an astounding rate!

Isnt it true that many scientists think that mars was once very much like earth currently is? There is evidence that the water frozen at its poles once were liquid many many years ago.
    Hypothetically, would mars have been more likely to support life that so much longer before earth? Rember that for 2 billion years, the only form of life on earth was simple prokaryotic cells without nuclei. I think that the probablility of anything besides simple organisms.

5. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    This thread is BLASPHEMY... REPENT and send me a check for $1000(no, I won't use it to save for an F-car, I promise ;))

6. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Maybe so, but I haven't heard about any SCUDS headed toward the Vatican in a long, long time.

DL

7. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Assama of course had plans to fly a plane into St Peters. That idiot should be assasinated by throwing him into a jet engine. Then again why waste a perfectly good jet engine on scum like that

8. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Could be heresay, who knows. On the other hand, Israel has been fighting for its' very life for too many years to count. I assume you take a minute or two (now and then) to watch the news?

DL

9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

Hmmm, funny, I don't remember them being purple. Blue, clear, but no purple...

Dr "I can see my belly button" Tax

10. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    "the Georgia Dept of Education was trying to excise the word 'evolution" from school texts and replace with "biological changes over time."

Fortunately, more intelligent-types prevailed when Georgia agreed to keep the term "evolution" in exchange for scientist changeing the word "dinosaurs" ......to "Jesus Horses" :)

11. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    SNL! Laughed my arse off!:D

12. mlambert890

mlambert890 Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2002
    CA
    I'm not religious (agnostic actually), but a theoretical argument like this is just so easy to turn right back on the originator that I can't help it.

What will the atheists do if *intelligent* life is encountered and they *also* worship messianic figures who sacrificed for "their sins"?

Will the atheists be willing to eat crow? Somehow I doubt it. Works both ways guys, and there are plenty of hypocrites on both sides. I always get a kick out of it when atheists/agnostics get on the high horse and pretend to be so superior to "them religious types" when no one really has any clue or any shred of evidence either way.

For all any of us know there COULD be some supreme entity somewhere generating influence. Science can barely figure out how OUR universe and its basic dimensions function on a theoretical level, let alone seriously conjecture about what might lie beyond it!

13. mbmike

mbmike Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Throw another kink into it. What if that messianic figure has a name similar to Jesus. What if parts of their religion match up with some religion on earth.

Oh...that would screw my mind over...

14. mlambert890

mlambert890 Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2002
    CA

That could happen... I read a great sci-fi short once (Assimov maybe, but maybe not), where a mission to a remote star that had gone nova yielded a remarkable find - the remains of a civilization. Turns out that their star had gone nova at a time when it's dying light would be viewable on Earth during the time of Jesus' birth. The archaeologists find records among the alien ruins indicating that they were accepting the death of their star (and of their race) as an honorable sacrifice so that some momentus event could happen far in the future (since light takes a while to travel massive distances).

I thought that was a tremendously interesting idea and it actually *is* within the realms of possibility for something like that to someday happen. An open mind is always key.

15. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Well I have thought about this before. I believe in GOD. I also believe that he created everything. I do think that there is a possibility that there is other physical life somewere out there. After all there are angels and demons, right. They aren't human. We do have animals, fish, different oragnisms, plants, loads and loads of living things here on earth. So why not elsewere? If there is life elsewere in, I truely feel that GOD in his infinite wizdom keeps us apart. How do you think we would get along with a different planet, yet alone a different species, when we can't even get along among ourselves on this planet. What makes you think that we will even be the dominant ones? Geeeee maybe that is why GOD got rid of the dinosaurs before he put us here. What ever the case, if life is found to exist/ed else were, it will only conferm to a higher extent that GOD exists. This is just soooooo easy, even in the Bible, the very first line, Genesis 1:1 "1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." Like Duuuuuhhhhh.

16. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  17. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I read that one also, good story, I think it was Asimov.

Tibet has a meditation/philosophy called Dzogchen that is said to have appeared simultaneously in 13 different solar systems :)

18. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Quote: What will the atheists do if *intelligent* life is encountered and they *also* worship messianic figures who sacrificed for "their sins"? Will the atheists be willing to eat crow? Somehow I doubt it. Works both ways guys, and there are plenty of hypocrites on both sides. I always get a kick out of it when atheists/agnostics get on the high horse and pretend to be so superior to "them religious types" when no one really has any clue or any shred of evidence either way. [/QUOTE]

Pull-eaze, give us a break.....This "sacrificed for their sins" mind-set is western man's philosophy. When I see other mammals like cats, dogs, dolphins & whales building little shrines to J.C. will I reconsider my views. Think about why every religion on earth has their differences with other faiths and then maybe you will realize that gods and religions are ALL man-made! Religion has evolved into a mental cancer for people with no future and a lot of time on their hands. What else could explain for example Sunni & Shiite Muslims killing each other such as in Tuesdays bombings in the Mid-East?? You don't see athiests killng each other over theology do you?

19. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    No, Atheists dont kill over theology, They kill for power & $ like the USSR & China :(

After I learn Cetacian and have a philosophical conversation with a whale or a dolphin I'll be better equipped to agree/disagree that all religionas are man made :)

No matter your theological stance one thing is quite clear, We live in a vast ancient Universe that was somehow created. Question is who, why, & how ? :)

20. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Actually, it is logicaly impossible to prove a neagtive: so anyone who makes such statements is not based in logic or facts.

But the proof of whether one or more gods exist must be left to the believers! not to the disbelievers to prove otherwise.

Perhaps you are confused. Atheists belive that one or more gods do not exist, Agnostics don't think there is enough information to make a decision, and Scientists look at the available evidence and make statements about science things. Atheist does not mean scientist nor vice versa. Leave the decisions to those who are skilled in the art, and those who have looked at the evidence.

21. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Doesn't the scientific community use what's known as a "double-blind" test to determine the cause & effect of a variable on something that is "known' or constant? Try this...let's say God takes a sabbatical. Goes for a month long cruise of the Med on Paul Allen's little yacht. Out of the office and can't make any decisions or actions against mankind for a whole month. We WILL STILL SEE bad things happening to good people AND good things happening to bad people (like wife-beating or cheating sports figures getting multi-million dollar signing bonuses). There will still be church busses running off of the interstates into bridge pilings and lightning hitting steeples and burning down churches. "God(s)" doesn't/don't change things, it's the thought of god(s) that changes people. God is a placebo and a metaphor all rolled into one. If God him or herself actually had any power, don't 'cha think for a moment he/she/it would stop these global battles between faiths ( and brothers)?

22. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Do you think Blue Whales care if Bacteria fight ?

23. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Sure, that is one of the biggest indication that its all made up by men.

There is evidence for both blue whales and for bacteria. But, no blue whales don't know bacteria exist, and so don't care.

24. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I think it was Ghandi when was asked why there were so many different religions he stated that it was because there are so many people at different levels of spiritual development & each religion helps on the upward spiral in some way.

What you are reffering to via "religious" war though is not religion at all. It is some demagouge Asss like Assama who takes a relgion & twistes & perverts it in order to dominate the minds of the weak & the ignorant. That is not what religion is about. Thats pure politics & power dressed up in the cloak of religion.

You have these demagouges throughout history in virtually all religions like Assama, several Popes, Imams, etc. It is truly despicable to take something that is supposed to elevate people & pervert it into a weapon for ruling over the weak & turn them into an army of mindless Zombies