News

like a 6000 rpm rev limiter?

Discussion in '348/355' started by ClydeM, Oct 17, 2020.

1. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    '95 355. This is new. I normally shift 4-5K. lately I've tried to wind it out, but at 6,000 rpm (ish) it seems as if the car is hitting the rev limiter. same behavior. sputtering & loss of power. It's like something is cutting out. I haven't tried to push through it, but when I lift, life is fine. Up to 6K, life (seems) fine. No idiot lights. I haven't tried to pull any codes off the ECUs yet. Except for replacing cooling tank hoses, I haven't done anything to the car in 1-2K miles. Last fix was a rebuilt alternator. Just another odd note - after driving & the car is warm, if I blip the throttle for high revs while standing still, the alternator light may come on.
    ideas?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. johnk...

johnk... F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    New England/FL
    I had a similar problem with my car, also a 95, a couple of years ago. Drove fine. But at 4500RPM it was like a rev limited set in. Ignition just seemed to cut out.

The problem was the signal from the 1-4 crank sensor. It was not the crank sensor but rather the connecting wire. One of the wires in the plug on the harness (sensor end of harness) had broken right at the crimp to the connector pin. Below 4500 RPM the signal was apparently strong enough for the car to run fine. But at 4500 and above, either due to vibration or just the higher frequency signal, the ignition would become intermittent. I made continuity checks and resistance checks and compared the 1-4 bank to the 5-8 bank. Everything check OK. The way I finally found it was to disconnect the plus from the sensor, pull back the rubber boot, and tug on each of the 3 wires. When I did that the insulation on one of the wires stretched like a piece of spaghetti indicating that the wire was broken internally. So, that's where I would look. Check connections, sensors and wires at the connectors.

blox79 likes this.
  4. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I saw a similiar thread int he archives suggesting the sensor. How hard are they to get to with engine in? I saw a pic in the other thread for their location.

5. Qavion

Qavion F1 Rookie

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    It depends on the sensor (there are two on the F355 2.7). Both can be changed with the engine in, but one is rather difficult to get to.

The left bank (5~8) sensor is on the bottom and easier to get to.

6. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    I had a weird missing issue. Every time I would go around a turn (right turn I think) the car would miss and skip, then get better. I decided to change the crank sensor. When I changed it, the connector was filled with antifreeze. I had a coolant leak that had filled the connector with water and it was shorting out.

Qavion likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.