Listed 2007 612. Is it my newbie opinion... | FerrariChat

Listed 2007 612. Is it my newbie opinion...

Discussion in '612/599' started by Vroom1234, May 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Vroom1234

Vroom1234 Karting

Apr 16, 2019
    New York
    Full Name:
    Josh Rosner
    #1 Vroom1234, May 5, 2019
    Last edited: May 5, 2019
    I am looking for a nice 612 which means I think have seen every currently listed 612. Is it my imagination or are there several things that seem off with this listing?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Josh, what is the listing. There is no link attached.

3. Vroom1234

Vroom1234 Karting

Apr 16, 2019
    New York
    Full Name:
    Josh Rosner
    It is a 2007. Clearly not a Sessanta as, among other things, it has no glass roof. Shouldn't it have badging?

4. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    I have an 07. It looks a lot like mine. Glass roofs were only in later years.

5. Vroom1234

Vroom1234 Karting

Apr 16, 2019
    New York
    Full Name:
    Josh Rosner
    I understand glass roofs began with and then after the Sessanta edition. Is it right that there is no badging on the tail or interior?

6. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    The tail is fine. Below is a picture of the interior badging.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Vroom1234

Vroom1234 Karting

Apr 16, 2019
    New York
    Full Name:
    Josh Rosner
  8. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Now that you mention it, I don't see "pininfarina" on the right front quarter panel. You'd better check, this car could have been repainted.

9. Vroom1234

Vroom1234 Karting

Apr 16, 2019
    New York
    Full Name:
    Josh Rosner
  10. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    This appears to be the listing you are looking at:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Ferrari-612-Scaglietti-Huntington-Beach-d441_L2489

It has been for sale for a long time (over 200 days). There is no price listed but it is a high mileage car. So it is probably in the 70 to 80K range if everything checks out. In terms of badging on the front fenders, here is a picture of mine, which this car does not have. But maybe the prior owner just didn’t like the look. I am not a fan of badging either. It does have the Ferrari badging on top of the trunk lid. But it also might mean a repaint like was stated. However, I do like the exterior/interior color combination. So if you like it, it checks out and you can get it for the right price, it would be a great car. Be sure to get a PPI.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Sorry, i guess the Cargurus link didn’t work but ttforcefed’s link is better.

12. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It is funny they say "Free Carfax" but when you click on it you have to pay for it. I would definitely want to get that report because with those badges missing there is a distinct possibility this car was in an accident.

As an aside I hate when dealers don't include a price. That dealer in Chicago does it all the time with Ferraris.

13. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Good point Paul. Jason if you are seriously in the market, you can buy a subscription from Carfax. That allows you get multiple Carfaxs. That was what i did when i was seriously in the hunt.

14. Vroom1234

Vroom1234 Karting

Apr 16, 2019
    New York
    Full Name:
    Josh Rosner
    Thanks all. I love the Pozzi but got a strange feeling when going through the pictures so I should probably listen to my gut.

I know I want a mid-2007 or later but the listings I see seem a bit high. So- if necessity dictates an earlier car is there a meaningful difference between 2005 and 2006?

Thank you advance.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I did a quick perusal of the car websites and I don't see the prices as being high, but of course "high" is a relative term.

Keep in mind the asking price is what the seller hopes to get. What price they'll accept could be a lower, or even a much lower, number. I've bought a lot of cars in my life, not just high end, but also company cars. It is possible to put in a very low offer without insulting the seller. It depends on how you couch your offer. Keep in mind you wouldn't want to be insulted, and neither would the seller of the car you want. ;)

16. Vroom1234

Vroom1234 Karting

Apr 16, 2019
    New York
    Full Name:
    Josh Rosner
    Thank you for the good advice. I hope that as I become more knowledgeable I can someday pay forward the kindness.

17. Vroom1234

Vroom1234 Karting

Apr 16, 2019
    New York
    Full Name:
    Josh Rosner
    I keep seeing black on black 612’s. I am generally not a fan of black Ferrari’s (or black cars for that matter). I know it is all about personal preference but having not yet seen a black 612 in person I thought I would ask for inputs. Will it show the lines?

I saw a beautiful Rubino but it is 2005 and I get the sense I should avoid the 05’s if there are alternatives.

18. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    As you said, color is a personal preference. I think the 612 looks great in black, especially with ball polished challenge wheels. There are a lot of black ones out there and so generally the prices will be a little lower for black. I wanted a red and “overpaid” for it because there are not many red ones out there. Rubio is an absolute gorgeous color on the 612. Very classy.

Your 05 through 07 are pretty much the same except in the 07 year they began putting in the Bose stereo, which is better. Pre Bose stereo and depending on mileage and options you probably should be paying in the 70 to 90K range. After that you probably are going to get into the OTO cars. There you have the benefits of the handling packages, carbon fiber brakes, special interiors, and the glass roof (I am sure I have missed a couple of things). In the post 07 cars you start to climb in price. I would say in theory right now the red 2010 at Marshall Goldman is probably the nicest 612 available at the moment as it is fully decked out, low mileage and the newest car. It is listed at $155K.

So 70k to 150K probably gives you your price range, top to bottom. For me if I didn’t already have a red car I would go with the 2010 at Marshall Goldman (assuming it is a good car and I could get it at a reasonable price). On paper it is by far the “best” 612 on the internet right now in terms of options (assuming you are into red). (Ignoring manuals which is a whole different discussion).

On the other hand if you are budget conscious then I would not be at all afraid of getting an 05 to 07 high mileage car for around 70K. As long as they have been maintained they can be awesome. I have driven my 07 for 4 years and I have had very few issues. A great daily driver. 4 or 5 years from now when the car has maybe 40 or 50K on it and I wanted to sell it, that would be a great deal for somebody because I will have maintained it as new. So you just have to look around and find a car that someone has had for a long time and maintained well if you are going for the higher mileage/lower cost cars.

Last point, beware of damaged cars. I would not recommend buying a damaged car as your first Ferrari. You can get them cheap but it will be very difficult to get rid of. I noticed today that a member posted a link to an E Bay car that is a black 612. He wanted 90K which is a reasonable/upper end price for the year and mileage BUT it has an accident. It says “minor” but you never know. He also just recently purchased it and it has had at least 4 prior owners and one of the prior owners had the accident. I would stay away from that one. I would predict if he is going to want to sell that one it is likely closer to a 60K or less car.

Good luck with your search.

FerrariTexas likes this.
  19. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Great advice for you Josh, especially the last point.

(Except personally I've never wanted nor owned a black car, but ironically all my motorcycles have been black.)

20. Vroom1234

Vroom1234 Karting

Apr 16, 2019
    New York
    Full Name:
    Josh Rosner
    I cannot begin to express my gratitude for the combined knowledge, insight and helpful advice I have received here.

21. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Is there something wrong with the paint on the lower portions, or is that just a wrap reflecting poorly?

22. Anthony James

Anthony James Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    #23 Anthony James, May 5, 2019
    Last edited: May 5, 2019
    It's black trim in paint. That's correct.

PS a major accident in Massachusetts starts at $1501. That could be anything from a paint scratch or hit mirror to replacing a nose. Ridiculous way for my state to rate an accident then rob people for the next 5 years.