Living with a Daytona ? | FerrariChat

Living with a Daytona ?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by WILLIAM H, Mar 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I just came back from a road rally set up by the infamous Martin & 6 other Ferraris. We went from Miami to Key West & we had a great time. People went crazy over the cars :) It was fun being in a Ferrari convoy and we did the speed limit, Well most of the time :)

I took my 512TR & all the other 6 Ferraris were roadsters. There was a 360 Modena spyder, 355 spyder, 348 spyder & 2 Mondial spyders.

This got me thinking of getting a drop top Ferrari but I'd rather get a Daytona spyder, Straman, or maybe a 550 spyder if I can find one, Not a Barchetta.

How do you Daytona guys like your cars. What about getting parts ? Does the AC work ? Can you install a modern AC ? What are the weaknesses ?

Thanks WH

2. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    William,

I had been giving thought to the idea of a cut coupe Daytona for a long time. Seems like the best way to go for a cool convertible Ferrari (imo).

Talk to Bill Badursky - this is his speciality. If you like, I can email you a hugely helpful / informative article that was scanned in as a starting place, just shoot me an email to [email protected] and I'll reply.

--Dan

3. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    William,

The Daytona Coupe is one of the greatest cars designed ever. The (cut) spider looses a lot of that quality. From what I understand, there are a lot of bad (structural) conversions around.

If I would look for a classic spider, I prefer the lighter 330/365 GTS model over the heavy 365 GTS/4.

Parts are expensive, the AC is a joke, brakes are weak and the car drives like a truck............but I just love this car. Everytime I think I'm tired of all the extra effort the Daytona requires, and start dreaming about a nice modern car, I eventually realize that I will not get tired with a new car, I will get bored.

Rijk

4. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    I passed by the service station as your convoy was pulling off and if you are the owner of the black TR I must say that it sounds fantastic!

5. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    :) Yes, that was me, Thanks, She does have a nice voice thanks to a tubi & no cats

6. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale

7. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    While a lot of cut-coupes are to be watched out for (I've seen one wher the car literally bent while on a lift), some are excellent examples and even better than the originals.

Personally, the appeal of a Daytona, with the added bonus of topless motoring? Yes please!

--Dan

8. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Rijk, we are going to have to figure out a way of swapping cars for the weekend or something. If you get bored driving a 550, well, I don't know what to say. Granted it is a very smooth car, but boring depends on the driver. Even for this laid back southern boy, this car gets pretty exciting on occasion.

Dr "Laid Back" Tax

9. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    If you are looking for a Daytona with a convertible top, get an authentic one. Something about chopping the top of the factory coupe is just wrong, I do not care what they say about being able to reinforce it afterwards.

10. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I'd love to but if I'm going to blow $300k + on a car I'm getting an F40.
    Ive seen some nice straman cut Daytonas that might be better quality than the factories for low $100s

I suppose if $ were no object I'd get an F50 & do rallys with the top off :) but I can get by with a Daytona Spyder

11. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    Dale,

Your car is soooo good that at 9 mph over the posted speed limit, the car is almost constantly underutilized. Until you take it to the track.

With the Daytona , on the other hand, you are constantly at work. Even at 9mph over: sound, smell, sensory input, steering becomes nicely weighted. And did I mention the sound?

Now, if I would live in Germany (again), with no speed limits, I would take a 550 in an instant.

Rijk

12. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Rijk, You're right about that. Main problem with the Maranello is that it is too good. 3,500 rpm in 6th gets you 100 mph. No drama, no fuss, but potentially a lot of tickets.

I just took the beast to the track, and it was a hoot. The car does exactly what you expect it to do, but you do use ALL of the track. They used to say that Clapton is god. Well, I think torque is.

However, tracking a Maranello is also pretty dumb. Even a small get off could cost $20k. The hood alone is $12k.

So here's what I thinking:

1. Sell the Maranello.
    2. Get a Spec Miata track car in an arrive and drive deal for $20k.
    3. Buy a GTC (particulary a 365 GTC) for the twice a month back road jaunt. Because you are also right in that driving a vintage car is much more engaging than a modern car. If you can slow down enough to listen, the car will talk to you and tell you everything that you need to know.

Why a GTC versus a Daytona? We have had this chat before, and I will not make up my mind until I drive more examples of both. However, I'm thinking that a GTC is a little lighter underfoot than a Daytona. I'm kinda thinking Jazz over Rock 'n Roll. Although I gotta say when I hear this opening lick, the fever does start rising:

Thx, Dale

13. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Miatas are fun but after tracking a 512TR or better yet my race 512TR the Miata is Very slow

14. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale

15. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    Dale,

I have never driven a 330/365GTS, but I like the style better as a drop-top. I also suspect that compared to the brute Daytona, for open motoring, the 330/365 seemed more suited, lighter, more elegant.......

Rijk

16. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    ROTFLMAO, No Shat. I bet your monster uses Miatas as speed bumps! Actually, what I like about the series is that it is all driver. I think that 100HP +/- is the legal limit. Screw up and you lose. I haven't driven one yet, but looking forward to it.

DrTax

17. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    We'll find out, eh? My biggest concern is getting the A/C to work properly. I does get very hot down here in Tejas. In fact, it can get so hot that drop tops are not worth it.

Has anybody has any luck with juicing up the A/Cs in these cars?

Dr "Too Hot" Tax

18. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    In the Miata you basically have to keep your foot flat on the gas ALL the way around the track, Can be fun but the straights are Very long in a Miata :)

19. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    Dale,

Rather than a Miata you should take an Elise (or better yet an Exige). There is a great video around where an Exige (200hp, 1500LB) keeps up with an F40. Loosing time on the straights, gaining on the curvy parts.

Rijk

20. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I'm sure that's true. Our local track is a converted NASCAR track and the front straight looks long in a Maranello. I'm sure that in a Miata it takes a long time to get there. But the trick is to not lift as you come off the banking on to the infield. Dat's fun!

Actually, I'd really love a Honda S2000 spec class. Now that would really be fun.

Dale

21. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Interesting that you say this because my bidness partner has one on order. If I fit, this may be just the ticket, eh?

Dale

22. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Regarding Daytona A/C:

The biggest problem with the AC in these cars is it usually is just not working properly. The fan switches are junk. Often the fan switch may say its on "high" but the fan is not running at max capacity. Mine had this problem. Once fixed, the AC blows hard and with a fresh charge cold. Im not saying it will freeze you out on a 95 degree day... but here in Atlanta my AC does an "ok" job when its working properly.

Also, the way the AC blower and condensor is mounted under the dash, it can be replaced with a more modern unit. Check out Performance Air. They sell aftermarket units designed to be used in Hot Rods that are compact and can fit in the space the stock Daytona unit fits. With the factory cover panel in place, nobody would know unless it was disassembled. I am eventually going to do this to my car.

I love my Daytona. Its got tons of torque, is always very engaging to drive, pulls like a freight train and looks drop dead gorgeous from any angle. Did I mention the torque??? I also love how the car shifts, the seats, the meaty feel to the steering and the way it really comes into its own over 70mph.

I also like the fact that, at least so far, the car is pretty dang low maintenance. Mine has been rock solid. Ive only had it about a year but so far mechanically its needed almost nothing. I am going to get it tuned this spring and have a couple of minor little details attended to, but the car has been VERY reliable.

A primary reason I love this car so much is that when your driving it... it FEELS fast. I had a tricked out 993 that was the opposite. Driving the 993 on the street.... it never felt fast. In order to really get a thrill from the car, to be fully engaged by it, you had to drive at insane speeds. Great fun on the track..... but stupid on a public road. Modern supercars are just so good that it all but impossible to really push them to their limits on a public road. At sane speeds on public roads, they are just boring (at least to me and when compared to something like a Daytona). In a race.... absolute speed is what matters. But for a street car, it matters more to me how fast it FEELS and how engaging it is.... rather than actual performance numbers. My 993 was no doubt faster than the Daytona 0-60 but with that V12 screaming and the torque when it comes on cam at 4K rpm, the Daytona is tons more fun!

The Daytona is totally engaging to drive on the street. The noise, torque, power, gated shifter and heavy but precise steering all come together in a package that really is incredible fun on the open road. The Daytona is no mountain twisty road carving machine. It is however a torque monster that just eats up the open road. Take it out into the countryside down a reasonably high speed 2 lane blacktop road with lots of sweeping corners and little traffic.... I cant think of a car I would rather be in than the Daytona!

Go here to link to a great video of Bill BAdurskis car. Listen to this thing and then tell me you dont NEED a Daytona!

http://www.borowskirace.com/

Terry

-K1- likes this.
  23. ElTorrente

ElTorrente Rookie

Mar 11, 2004

Amazing. Just awesome!! I NEED a Daytona.

Does the 80s Testarossa sound that good? That is the car I have been eyeing, and I was curious what a flat 12 sounds like.

MALCOLMB: on Feb 28 (a sunny saturday afternoon) did you drive your yellow Daytona from Mira Mesa blvd and enter the 805S? If you did, I was the blue WRX that was following behind listening to your engine. Whoever it was, I was totally hypnotized by the sound. I was right behind on the entrance ramp and listened to those 12 cyls accelerate up to highway speed- and felt so lucky! I drove off it's rear quarter for a couple miles at highway speeds just listening to it- it was great even at cruising speed. If it was you malcolmb, nice car!

24. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    interesting to read how much Daytona owners love their daytonas. I too am a daytona owner (actually have two of them) but I dont yearn to drive them like I used to. Since I bought a 550 maranello, I have really enjoyed driving the easier to handle, more powerful and very comfortable modern Ferrari. I am again entertaining the thought of selling my red daytona...but my restoration costs etc.. have been so high, I would take a bath selling it...15 years ago, one was not enough, now two is one too many...

25. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    I saw a Daytona in a showroom yesterday, and it made my day to see it (even though I own one myself..!) I think everything Rijk says is right; the car has a certain magic to it (even when the ownership experience is challenging - as mine certainly has been at times). When you take it out on a sunny day, drive it down some good roads and come home with some good photos of it (see below), it all seems worthwhile... John