LM 002 thread | Page 9 | FerrariChat

LM 002 thread

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by Marcello, Dec 5, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    Correct. Only the owner manual

2. hashiriya

hashiriya Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2010
    I'd like to get those too. The production information comes from Lambo enthusiasts from Spain. I translated it from Spanish.
    The system layout on FI LM makes me think that there could have been a CIS-injected prototype at first. There are many Bosch K-Jetronic air valves used in the system. The frame entered production in 1986, but first EFI Lambo came in P132 program (i.e. Diablo) in 1987, production injected LM002 seemed to appear in 1988. I don't know which chassis is the one to carry the first EFI engine. But the one published in the previous page looks like it. EFI hood, but no holes, steel wheels. No picture of the engine. Pre-US DOT specs.

3. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I'm no LM002 expert, but there appears to be some rare parts available on the bay of E at the moment. Rear drum brakes (did it have these???) and rear window glass.

Just saying, nothing to do with me.
    R

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Glass is the easy part. They are all flat panels and easily made by any glass supplier.

5. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #205 Rifledriver, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018

Which one on the previous page? The white one is obviously a non US carbed truck and the Desert Sand is an injected US truck in non "American" trim. There were a great many US version non "American" trim trucks built, ours is one. Quite a few do not understand that the 'American" was an optional trim level and in no way meant it was for this market only or that it was the only US offering.

12129 is the 1st I know of with FI but admittedly I don't have that info for all of the trucks. Many FI trucks have steel wheels, probably even most.

Also when you said Chrysler couldn't increase production after 89 I am not sure what exactly you meant. They were certainly building them after that. From my records possibly 1/3 of the total were built in 1990 and probably as late as 91. # 301 was built some time later but I don't consider it part of the production run.

6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Something I forgot to address. Many Countach's were converted to CIS from carbs to import them to the US during the period. It would not surprise me if the same happened to a few LM's but I have never seen that. It does confuse me that the race truck had CIS on it. CIS is pretty well known to be a big problem performance wise because it not only causes air flow restrictions but more importantly seriously limits the cams used. I would have though the race truck would have been far better off with either a modified carbed engine or a modified EFI engine. CIS was not a good choice.

7. hashiriya

hashiriya Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2010
    I don't mean LM American spec, I mean the factory DOT-spec: without turnlight holes (over side grilles) and with DOT lights in the certain place - to the front of the fender arch.

The way #12129 looks makes me think it was federalised in the US.
    As for CIS on carb LM - there was no need to do it to get DOT spec, the trucks could have carbs for a bit longer (up until 1991, maybe).

There's a myth about LM bodies being built mostly in 1986-1987 at the Irizar bus factory in Spain, then they were delivered to Sant-Agata and assembled throughout the following years. Irizar in 1989 dismantled the LM production line to increase bus production.

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Based on the VIN given it is a US version.

As for installing CIS. It was never about what was required. US law didn't dictate how you passed emissions, just that you did it and in some cases installing CIS was easy and relatively cheap. Like I said, never seen an LM converted that way but many cars were.

9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

I know nothing about the body manufacturing so have no reason to dispute this. But I do wonder, If the line was shut down in 1989, where did the body's come from for roughly half of the LM's made? 1990 was a big year for their production.

10. hashiriya

hashiriya Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2010
    Just like XJ220, the production year was stamped at the time they were sold/delivered.
    The Irizar factory made complete bodies: frame, body parts, interior, paint, electrics, lights, A/C heater. They were basically missing the engine electrics, drivetrain, engine and exhaust. As well as cooling system parts. No exact list is available, but LM history is quite interesting.

11. P300V8

P300V8 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2010
    London U.K.
    +/- 50 LMs were assembled at Lamborghini in 1991 and 20 in 1992 ending in April, all LLA...

12. P300V8

P300V8 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2010
    London U.K.
    Correction, I meant to say the last 10 in 1992...

13. hashiriya

hashiriya Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2010
  14. ClaxNZ

ClaxNZ Karting

Dec 1, 2012
  15. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    Jane's famous LM002

16. Lemacc

Lemacc Formula 3
    BANNED

Mar 16, 2008
    Germany
  17. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Amelia Island starts next week and RM Sotheby's are offering this:
    1991 Lamborghini LM002 ZA9LU45A3LLA12214 RM Amelia Island 10/03/2018 133 $200,000 $250,000 N/R € 162,000 €202,500

If anyone wants more information on this or any other lots on offer please check out www.autoauctionsmonthly.com

18. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
  19. Andrew R.

Andrew R. Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2005
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Has anyone found a source for the plastic base of the pre-cleaner for the air intake? (I am pretty certain this was a stock piece from a tractor or piece of construction equipment)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Andrew R.

Andrew R. Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2005
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Andrew
  21. Andrew R.

Andrew R. Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2005
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    The carbs look nice! I know it's hidden inside that aluminum box, but it would look ever better if you clean the stains from the inside of the base of the box.

S_AGATA likes this.
  22. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
  23. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name: