Logan Sargeant to Williams 2023 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Logan Sargeant to Williams 2023

Discussion in 'F1' started by Hawkeye, Nov 21, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Regardless of the path to F1,
    There have been very few drivers from USA to "do anything noteworthy" in F1 once they got there. And the only ones who did are in the distant past.

The real question is why ?

I have a purported answer to this question:: standing starts. From Wikipedia::

American-based series such as IndyCar, NASCAR, and SCCA have traditionally utilized rolling starts. During the 2013 and 2014 seasons, the IndyCar Series adopted a rule for standing starts on a trial basis for selected events.[1][2] IndyCar dropped the procedure after the 2014 season, due to numerous start aborts and a start-line crash at the 2014 Grand Prix of Indianapolis.[3]

2. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Brett Lunger

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Do you really think standing starts are a deterrent for Americans to drive in F1 ?

We have seen recently with Colton Herta that it's mostly the rules to obtain a Superlicense that affect them.

Terra likes this.
  4. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I wish IndyCar would go back to standing starts on road courses.

5. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Absolutely.

6. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Since you eliminate the risk of stalling on the grid, rolling starts look safer, no?

Plus, in case of safety car period or after a red flag, it's always a rolling start to restart the race.

7. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I guess a rolling start is safer, but honestly I don’t care about that. Also, during a rolling start the cars can have a higher speed going into the first turn, so I think increased safety is questionable. And yes, having a standing start after every “safety” car period would be just about impossible logistically, but that isn’t necessarily a reason for not have a standing race start. I’m opposed to safety cars except in the most extreme cases. I believe they are massively over-used. Waving yellow flags are adequate in most cases. If violated, make the penalties harsh.

Terra and 375+ like this.
  8. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I have the same opinion about safety cars, but it will be very difficult now to eliiminate them from motorsport.

Safety cars are not only over-used, but largely abused by race directors, IMO.

Terra and Jack-the-lad like this.
  9. Adrian Thompson

Adrian Thompson Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    I like that Indy car has rolling starts. Rolling starts have always been a feature of American road racing. It's a link to tradition and a differentiator from F1. I also much prefer Indy car style pit stops with air jacks (massive safety plus) and fewer people over the wall, not the utter stupidity of three people per corner.

As for Americans being lazy by not going to / staying in European formula, with respect that's BS. Does anyone think that Logan Sargeant is in any way better qualified than Colton Herta to be in an F1 car? Colton started in Europe, but like many who's parents aren't ultra wealthy he couldn't afford to stay there. HE came back here, fought his way up to IndyCar on talent more than $$'s and has proven he's a cut throat dedicated driver. Nothing against Logan, but I don't think he'll do anywhere near as good a job as Colton in any given car.

Terra and william like this.
  10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Excellent post ! That's music to my ears !!!

F1 could learn a thing or two from Indycar.

11. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    …….Except the rolling starts.

12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    It would be good if F1 adopted their pit stop methods though.

13. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I agree. F1 pit stops are absurd, but no more-so than the rules that created them. I don’t understand the (apparent) banning of onboard jacking systems. They are by now practically foolproof.

william likes this.
  14. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Too many wrecks at T1 and T2.

On the other hand there was a pace car restart at Indy one year (probably CART era) and each restart resulted in an accident--like 6 times in a row, many before the start-finish line. {Cold weather and really cold tires}

15. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Yes, I recall that, but I’m a proponent of adaptability to conditions as being a big part of being a professional racer. ;)

Terra likes this.
  16. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    1992 the closest finish in Indy 500 history. It was unusually cold for race day.