Logic check please_gear selection problem | FerrariChat

Logic check please_gear selection problem

Discussion in '308/328' started by Andrew Smith, Apr 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Andrew Smith

Andrew Smith Karting

May 9, 2010
    Southern Norway
    I'm less than pleased with my new clutch.

I replaced the pressure plate, release bearing, pilot bearing, friction plate.
    Resurfaced flywheel. Cleaned all the parts.
    Put it all back together. Filled with new Redline.

Now I cannot select any gear with the car stationary when the clutch is adjusted correctly.
    If I over tighten the clutch mechanism I can just about get 3rd with the engine running.
    If I start the car in gear the rear wheels start turning immediately with the car on axle stands, if I press the clutch in they keep turning.
    When I drive the car the clutch slips (yes, clutch over adjusted)
    No hope of 1st or reverse with car stationary.

Conclusion so far is that the input shaft is still turning even though the clutch is disengaged.
    Assuming all other parts are as they should be ( I checked new parts against old before I put them in) my conclusion is that the new pilot bearing is somehow seized and is spinning the input shaft. Im not sure how that can be, either its the wrong part or I put it in wrong.

Any other options before I take this thing apart again?

Help appreciated as always!

2. rjlloyd

rjlloyd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Lloyd
    I would agree with you, the input shaft has to be turning with clutch pedal depressed. Any possibility you fitted the friction plate backwards? ( though if this was the case I would expect some noticeable noise especially when the clutch is slipping) Failing that I would be suspecting a cracked / faulty pressure plate diaphragm ( which would give the symptoms you describe, but unlikely for a new part ) or a faulty pilot bearing.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Pull it all out again and have a look. If the pilot bearing is seized, it'll make a hell of a noise (ask me how I know), but the clutch shouldn't slip. My guess is there's something fundamental that will become obvious when you pull it down. Sorry, sometimes it's just easier to start again.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    One test that you can do (that probably won't change that you'll need to redo based on your description) is to put the car into 1st gear with the engine not running, clutch pedal depressed, and crank the starter motor -- if the coachwork lurches forward = no/poor clutch disengagement (but you need to be sure that you've got enough space for safety in front for motion and the possibility the engine could start).

5. Andrew Smith

Andrew Smith Karting

May 9, 2010
    Southern Norway
    Looks like I'm going back in there then. Should be easier the second time around. I had a flashback to fitting the new polite bearing, I remember it didn't fit flush with the end of the crank, I wondered a bit air the time, bu then figured that being as the flywheel builds out from the end of the crank then its all good. I couldn't remember how the old pilot bearing looked before I pulled it. Im wondering if the pilot bearing was with the wrong one or I didn't fit it correctly and now it had some axial load on it that is causing it too semi bind... Will report back when I get it all apart...

Steve, if start he car in gear as you describe there is no lurching, but the engine note drops a touch. I think its very nearly disengaged but not enough to get any gears.

6. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Where did you get the parts? Unfortunately, not all parts sent are as described even from the best vendors, I've learned.

7. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Also, the friction disc has a correct and incorrect directional orientation. If you put it on backwards, it won't engage properly, and then overadjusting the clutch cable to compensate would just worsen things. Another possibility could be you didn't properly slip the forks on the output shaft in the bell housing under the retaining rings for the throwout bearing carrier, in which case pumping the clutch pedal won't necessarily actuate the clutch.

8. bill brooks

bill brooks F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2007
    waynesburg,pa
    Full Name:
    bill brooks
    i have a similar although not identical problem.
    new clutch, t/o bearing, pilot bearing, rear main seal. also flywheel turned.
    my guy complained the friction disc looked aftermarket. i instructed to install anyway.
    now the clutch chatters significantly and will not engage smoothly. clutch has to be slipped to get underway.
    i complained to vendor who replied they've never sold an inferior clutch. would not comment further.
    am i in for another clutch?
    comments please.

9. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    If you turned the flywheel and now have chatters, then you need a different clutch disc. How was the pressure plate/

10. bill brooks

bill brooks F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2007
    waynesburg,pa
    Full Name:
    bill brooks
    i forgot to mention, the pressure plate was changed as well.
    different clutch disc? perhaps this is why my tech questioned its quality before assembly.

11. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I stopped buying non-OEM clutch discs after one "rebuilt" one blew up, stranded my friend, and I had to redo the job... Not worth the $200 saving.

12. Andrew Smith

Andrew Smith Karting

May 9, 2010
    Southern Norway
    D White. I got the parts from Superformance

13. Andrew Smith

Andrew Smith Karting

May 9, 2010
    Southern Norway
    I just took the clutch apart. Its a nice job when you have done it once before.
    My suspicion before i started was that the pilot bearing was the problem, this doesn't seem to be the case. The flywheel has some unpleasant looking wear on it, see pics, the pressure plate also has some wear on it. I haven't driven the car a mile yet. Flywheel was resurfaced, and the pressure plate, friction disk are new, as is the throwout bearing.

After i removed the pressure plate and friction disk from the flywheel i repacked the bell housing. I can spin the output shaft easily by turning the upper transfer gear, is i conclude that the pilot bearing is not the problem.

So, back to the wear on the flywheel, it seems to be the smoking gun. Any one seen this before, got any remedies? My first thought is that the flywheel is not flat, but that seems unlikely, as i was just resurfaced by a guy who knows what he's doing. So its a pressure plate problem or a throwout bearing problem? The throwout bearing was correctly located on the forks and cages orientation to the flywheel constantly so it couldn't make a the flywheel wear in one place like that.

The rectangles in the photos indicate where the wear is on the pressure plate and flywheel

All help gratefully received!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. rjlloyd

rjlloyd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Lloyd
    My immediate thought would be that the flywheel is not running true to the crankshaft or been machined not square. Out of interest are the marks on the flywheel 180 degrees opposite to where they are on the pressure plate , if you can recall the orientation of the pressure plate to the flywheel before it was unbolted ?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

15. Andrew Smith

Andrew Smith Karting

May 9, 2010
    Southern Norway
    That was my first thought, and I don't know I the marks on the pressure plate mirror the marks on the flywheel. Then I'm thinking that the friction plate has a little 'wobble" on the shaft, more than enough to tolerate any out of true flywheel machining...? Unless the flywheel is drastically out of true...

16. rjlloyd

rjlloyd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Lloyd
    But if the friction plate had the wobble then it would make a continuous mark around the flywheel/ pressure plate. The only way I can think of getting a single hotspot would be if the bell housing is mounted square to the block, the input shaft is running true into the back of the crank is for the flywheel/pressure plate assembly to be running out of true, mind you I’ve just had an hour of learning German so my brain is partially fried

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

17. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    If the flywheel was not machined true to the crank mounting flange then the assembly would wobble but the pressure plate and flywheel would still be parallel to each other. This damage looks like there is uneven pressure on the disc around the circumference of the pressure plate. As stated above, I think, if it was a disc problem the clutch may have disengagement problems but the wear marks would be consistent around the pressure plate.
    I vote for either an un-true surface on the pressure plate(least likely), a bad pressure plate diaphragm spring, or a problem with the throw-out bearing assembly causing it to not press on the pressure plate evenly. Or possibly the pressure plate did not seat evenly on the flywheel due to interference trouble with one or more of the locating pins or a similar problem.

18. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Hi Andrew, Sorry to see this as it looks like your new pressure plate was not parallel or was not lifting evenly (as suggested by tomberlin above.) I would start by checking the T/O bearing is straight and all the way onto its carrier, check the diaphragm spring and see if there is any obvious sign of something wrong or misaligned, and put a straight edge across the PP mounting face and check the gaps to the pressure surface all the way around. Check the disk thickness as I think there was some discussion a while back about some aftermarket disks being too thick (and some aftermarket PP not lifting correctly.) A clutch shop can easily check the PP for you.

I just had my original PP ground a smidge to give the newly rebuilt disk (with tribco kevlar) a suitable surface and the clutch shop tested it and said the diaphragm was still fine. Rebuilding the originals (36k miles) cost the same or slightly less than a cheap aftermarket kit.

19. Andrew Smith

Andrew Smith Karting

May 9, 2010
    Southern Norway
    As suggested i measured the pressure plate and four thats its not very parallel.. measurements are mm in enclosed image 0.68mm = 26.7 thousands of an inch. The area of the pressure plate that shows signs of wear is the area that measures out of true.
    The contact point for the throwout bearing is also visibly at an angle, i didn't measure how much, but it can be seen with the naked eye. Its looking like the pressure plate is to blame here, I will ask Superformance what they think about this. The clutch kit I bought was the "AP original three part clutch kit" 30811017.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Glad you found the problem. Their parts are inexpensive and they are very good about returns. That business model suits us DIYers but can be frustrating at times. Do you have a clutch shop near you? Get them to check your old PP, might be fine or just need a light regrind.

21. Andrew Smith

Andrew Smith Karting

May 9, 2010
    Southern Norway
    Who sells good pressure plates in the USA? Don't really want to wait for Superformance to send me one... Are Ricambi the people to go to?

22. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    AW Italian in New Jersey Has both competitive prices and correct parts. They are a regular DIYer and pro shop supplier when it comes to "major service" items and kits.

23. Andrew Smith

Andrew Smith Karting

May 9, 2010
    Southern Norway
    Thanks wildcat 326. I have Ferrparts close to me but they are $53 more expensive for the same OEM part (121562)
    Will give AW Italian a try.

24. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    How were you measuring the pressure plate face? I don't doubt what you're saying just curious of the method.

25. Andrew Smith

Andrew Smith Karting

May 9, 2010
    Southern Norway
    I put the pressure plate on the bench, supported so that the plate that the throwout bearing touches was not in contact with the bench and put a straight edge radially across the pressure plate bridging from the area around the fastening bolt holes. Then I measured down form the top of edge of the straight edge to the pressure plate friction surface. Made sure to keep everything at 90 degrees. Reset my vernier to zero at the largest measurement and then repeated the process around the plate. Made sure to measure down at the same circumference every time. The real test would be with the pressure plate opened by the T/O bearing, as that is when the problem occurs, not when the clutch is closed.