London on a budget | FerrariChat

London on a budget

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by jcurry, May 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Our two daughters (21/22yo) will be visiting London end of June/first of July and are looking for accommodations on a budget. Looking to direct them to better neighborhoods and where/how to search (e.g. airbnb). Any/all suggestions are welcome.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Accommodation in London on a budget is rarely easy - the Timeout London website might have suggestions - another way might be to select a few possible locations and ask here about the area before finally booking

It might also depend on what they actually want to do here so as to minimise travelling

The open top bus tour might be a cliche but is a good way of initially getting your bearings in the centre

3. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    I stay at the Premier Inn in Hampstead, a clean and tidy chain hotel with reasonable pricing, its a lovely area, walking distance to Camden Town and all that has to offer and an easy tube ride into the centre.

4. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    King's College rents out some of their student accommodation from the end of June through to the beginning of September and that might be an option both from the point of view of the budget but also in that there will be a lot of people around their age in close proximity. Link: https://webbandb.kcl.ac.uk/

5. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Depends what you mean by budget? Start at youth hostels and work your way up! Is this their budget, or the budget they will squeeze out of you?

I use booking.com and filter on "review score" and always make sure there are a good number of reviews so its not fudged by the owners friends! (Same as anywhere I guess.)

Cant help on locations other than Park Lane / Bond Street are nice...but they don't go with the word "Budget" :)

Bus tour is a good suggestion as a good way to figure out which way is up; so to speak.

If you let us know what their interested in I'm sure people will chip in ideas/suggestions...other than "cars and coffee" :)

Hope they enjoy their time over here.

6. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Budget means cheapest place they can find that is safe and accessible to central London (I presume). I was told Putney is a nice area by a business associate. Other than that I'm hoping to get more info here. 4 nights. They will likely be on the go except for sleeping and showering. Have no idea what their exact plans are and doubt if they know either at this point in time. Arriving via Gatwick, departing Heathrow.

7. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Have a look at studios2let.
    Near to where I live and sometimes have good offers on comparison websites

8. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Well the girls figured it out for themselves. Have tentatively made reservations in Princes Gardens, a student resident hall at the Imperial College of London (South Kensington).

9. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Good area & very central - right by an excellent Polish restaurant Ognisko - lots of other food options down by the tube station

jcurry likes this.
  10. Rene

Rene Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    René
    I live in South Kensington and know the Imperial College residences. Excellent choice.

Plus, some of the museums are here: Victoria & Albert, Science and Natural History. Kensington Gardens, with the Royal Palace, and Hyde Park, are under 15 minutes' walk. Knightsbridge with the iconic Harrods is also a short walk.

jcurry likes this.