london | FerrariChat

london

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Seth, Mar 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    i already put this thread in off topic but someone said to put it here....

anybody know of some good auto/car/racing museums/dealers/ or just cool car places i should see in and around london?

also any websites or anything like times and stuff would help....

also what are the laws/limits for driving in England/UK? could i do a driving school there, like a half day course or something?

so also race tracks with schools that i may be able to attend... and that are pretty cheap, 150 to 300 pounds?/dollars mabey or is this not possible?

i will be in london the end of next week and i am also looking at some schools their..
    so if anybody ever went their from the USA and has any opinions on it i would like to know...

2. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Looks like you're moving here for a short while. I've had quite a few au-pairs in my time and there are two US air bases near to me and if you are looking to stay for a while taking one or two driving lessons is very well worth the money. We drive on the other side of the road and have some driving situations, like roundabouts, that are not common in the US. BSM (British school of motoring) which is part of the RAC (Royal automobile association( is as good as any for this.

The speed limit in built up areas is 30mph, on the open road it's 60mph and on dual carriageways and mootorways it's 70mph, but these are not hard ways to know. The speed limit is always posted as you enter a speed limited area and there is a sign to say 'national speed limits apply' (white circle with black diagonal).

Schools, I guess for your kids?, are a difficult matter. They depend on where you live and if the school has room etc. Find out where you are going to live and then contact the local council (Westminster council for Westminster etc) and get a list. You can then see how each school performs by looking on the web. Call the head teacher too of the one's you like.

There are plenty of very, very cool places both in London and within easy reach (it's one of the most popular tourist spots on the planet) and there are lots of car related things you could do.

As for race track days, check this site out, they are often ones poosted here.

Welcome to the UK

3. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    :D :D "I'm from Sveeden and I'm here my english to improve. Ooh meester Robin!!!"

Wow Robin. There's hospitality and there's hospitality

Kevin

4. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    hello

i am 17 years old and am going to be looking at schools/college in england, and its a family trip and i want to go to some automotive places...

also there are absoloutely no races tracks anywhere near me so i would like to if possible go to a track day/ or school and really be able to push a car to the limits... we will be going north to Lichestier(SP?) 120 Miles north of london... and would try to go to a track then, or mabey a factory, like Aston Martin, or lotus, if there their... i know i could look this stuff up but im kinda on a time crunch, but if i find stuff ill ask for opinions and what not

i already know most of the laws of the road in england i meant like what age do i have to be to drive? can i have an international drivers license? and drive there? in the USA its 16 or 15 years old to be able to drive...

5. mal

mal Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2004
    Kent
    I assume you mean Leicester and if thats the case then you are on the doorstep of Donnington Park racetrack and motorsport mueseum information can be found here http://www.donington-park.co.uk/

6. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    If you have a US licence and are 17+ then you're fine to drive here, assuming you can get insured. Driving without insurance is a very serious offence in the UK.

Be careful of your speed to as many roads have speed cameras. (grey or blue box with a flourescent orange bit)

Donington is a good place to visit if you are going up to Leicester as they have a great museum there too.

factory visits are tricky- usually require booking ages in advance, but you never know your luck. Jaguar and Aston Martin do good tours.

Other good museums in the UK are in the South away from London- there's a great one at Beaulieu in the New Forest, and the Haynes Museum in Sparkford, Dorset. Let me know if you want more info and I'll look them up. Both are in beautiful parts of the British countryside and I'm sure your family would enjoy a visit!

Robert.

7. rico

rico Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Bournemouth
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    In central London head down to South Kensington on the tube. Straight across the road is Lamborghini London. Go past Lambo and about 10mins down the road is HROwen which is a Ferrari, Maserati, Lotus and Noble dealership.

Jump back on the tube and head up to Hyde Park Corner and wander up Park Lane. You've got McLaren (with F1 in showroom), Rolls Royce, BMW, Mini etc etc up there.

Wander around Mayfair area and you'll find the Aston Martin and Bentley dealerships.

If you want to spend a few minutes car spotting, go to Victoria Embankment at around 6/7pm on a weekday and you'll see a fair few 360s etc. Hyde Park Corner is supposed to be the best place though, although im hardly ever around there.

Rico

8. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Seth

noble are near Leicester, can you post the dates that you are here and I'll let oyu know of any track days that are happening

9. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    You know, I've been reading these replies. We're a really friendly bunch here in the UK :)

10. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    A train from London Waterloo will get you to Egham in Surrey - home of Ferrari UK / Maranello Concessionaires (Britain's largest ferrari & Maserati showroom with a good shop too) and also a classic / used Ferrari dealer called Talacrest (which is literally right next to the railway station).

There is also a JFK Memorial Park just around the corner near Runnymede if you're feeling patriotic...

have a good trip. John

PS It's spelt Leicester but pronounced 'Lester'. Ain't English great..?

11. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    thank you very much... yes i do mean Leicester and the University of Loughbrough... and Donnington Park!! wow that will be fun... and thanks for the auto dealers, i have there address but dont really know how to interpret them... but with the tube stops and what not that helps a lot...

also how is Loughbrough pronounced? we cant seem to figure it out...

"noble are near Leicester, can you post the dates that you are here and I'll let oyu know of any track days that are happening"

as for the dates I will be there March 10-18(19), and in Leicester the 16-17 i think... not for sure yet....
    also

"there's a great one at Beaulieu in the New Forest, and the Haynes Museum in Sparkford, Dorset. Let me know if you want more info and I'll look them up. Both are in beautiful parts of the British countryside and I'm sure your family would enjoy a visit!"

i dont know exctally where this is but our main problem is this...
    my dad wants to go to old houses/ National Trust places...
    I want it to be nothing but automotive related places...
    my mom only wants to be/stay in london but she'll come along driving...

so if thoses museum's are in the country side even better, because of the National Trust houses and what not....

again thank you all very much...
    seth

12. tomw

tomw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Tom

Luffbruh. :)

Also:
    http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/
    http://www.beaulieu.co.uk/

Both sites should have fairly comprehensive maps/directions. Beaulieu is well worth the visit if you can make it. You even get the best of both worlds for your parents.

13. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
  14. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    thank you all again but were still having trouble pronouncing the words

Loughbrough - Luff-bruh
    Leicester- Lester
    Donington - ??
    Vauxhall - ??

15. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    Donington - don-ing-ton
    Vauxhall - vox-all

16. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    If you do get a car and can spare a long day, drive up to blackpool and visit TVR