Long Island Bagels and Ferraris 2017 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Long Island Bagels and Ferraris 2017

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by Labman, Dec 31, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    On the LIE between 51 and 52 heading east. From there we can jump right on the parkway headed south to the beach.

2. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

It is the new Long Island welcome center. There is a little lighthouse in the parking lot. It's a perfect place to meet.

3. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I was there last Easter and unfortunately it was quite empty, but you never know.

I was there last week in my Boxer and saw the Bugatti and La Ferrari + the dozen other exotics in just that group. Just another day at Captree, you never know what you will see.

4. kevin323

kevin323 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Troopers often ticket lack of front plates at Captree. Just a warning

5. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

My front plate will be on :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. mmarino55

mmarino55 Rookie

Dec 2, 2007
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Michael Marino
    Hey guys, first I want to say thanks for making Long Island that much more beautiful with your cars on the road , when ever I pass one of you guys wether it's on the l.i.e or cruising on JERICHO turnpike you make my day . I always say my favorite option on a Ferrari is New York plates , makes me feel proud for some reason ahaha :)
    Would you mind if I stopped by in my BMW just to take a look at some of your cars in the wild ? I live in Woodbury and grew up in Commack so I could be near the meet up place on Easter morning if I am correct.? The Long Island welcome center?
    If it's just a low key owners only if understand .
    Thanks guys !

7. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    With the weather we expect this Sunday and after speaking with some regulars there, they expect a big turnout.

8. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    FWIW, the NYS troopers were positioned to catch speeders. They didn't seem too interested in front plates based on what I saw. I know of one car in particular that didn't have registration or inspection stickers on it and it didn't have a dealer plate. He breezed through.

Maybe the abundance of Spring fever made it easy for them to just focus on speeders and that is why I was putting out an FYI. For example, the speed limit just off the bridge on the south side is 35mph. It doesn't take much to ring up a big ticket there.

9. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Your more than welcome to come check us out. Not sure how many of "us" there will be but we will be there at 7am. Most of us are on a time limit so we will be on the road heading down to Captree shortly after we arrive at the rest stop.

10. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    One of the reasons I don't like going out there. Too much activity and harassment by troopers.

11. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #86 Labman, Apr 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yup. What a crowd and law enforcement was pretty cooperative.

13. greybeast

greybeast Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2011
    Long Island
    Not to mention the weather. Just great.

14. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    It was a beautiful morning. I really enjoyed it. An amazing group of exotics, sports cars, classics, old muscle cars and new muscle cars. A highlight for me was seeing a 1967 Pontiac GTO in the same color scheme (gold with black vinyl roof) as the one I owned in college.

15. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Quite a few nice muscle cars for sure. The black with red '61 "bubble top" was very very nice too. Great day for sure and the Troopers seemed focused only on blatant stupidity.

16. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have never seen so many Challengers in one place in my life lol.

17. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    The highlight of the day for me was to see an original racing Ford GT.

18. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yup. That car was crazy.

19. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    If the reference was to the GT40 in Gulf colors, I believe that wasn't a "real one".

20. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

If it was Curt's car, it is a Superformance. A great car but certainly not an authentic GT40. There was another guy who would bring a red car and tell people it was real, but it also was a replica.

Only saw one real GT40 at Captree and it was a road version. That car was a smokey-blue color with correct wire wheels.

21. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Tom went over and spoke with the owner. The owner confirmed it was "real."

22. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Not disputing what Tom was told but there is a difference between authentic and real. Authentic would be built during the period. Cars built after the period but built as continuation cars, with accommodations to safety (such as leakproof fuel tanks) or convenience (such as engines that were not original small blocks or big blocks) could be called real but would not be a GT40 in the sense that it is the genuine article. The same could be said for Cobras.

The car at Captree has a Ford Windsor engine and air conditioning; so is it real? Possibly. But is it authentic? Not likely AFAIK. I may be splitting hairs so don't misinterpret this as "hatin" on anything or anybody. I would love to have a real one, (even if it wasn't authentic). :) And the exhaust note on that Gulf blue car makes a lot of cars sound anemic.

23. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It sounded awesome.

24. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    At least it looked real.

25. greybeast

greybeast Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2011
    Long Island
    For anyone not going to staten island this sunday i was thinking about taking another early run to captree. Food not as good as the bagels but i love seeing the american iron. Can meet up again at rest stop. Anyone else care to go?