Long Shot But Anyone Know This Car or Dealer? | FerrariChat

Long Shot But Anyone Know This Car or Dealer?

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by DodgeViper01, Dec 26, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
  2. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi

I do not know this particular car, but JN Exotics is the dealership here for Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborghini, Lotus, Audi, Bentley (I think) Chevrolet, Mazda, etc.

The main showroom used to be just down the street from me, but the exotics have been moved to a new showroom about a mile away. I could try to get some more information on the car, if you were interested. It would be tough to be farther away and still be in the same country. Transportation and shipping would be a cost and hassle. Is the price that good? Is the car that rare?

Aloha

3. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    It's hard to imagine getting it cheap enough to offset the enormous shipping cost.

4. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    Shipping would be just shy of $5000 to NY. Has to be sent via airplane to LA and then by truck to NY. It is a decent deal but I like the fact it still has warranty and a large clutch life. Thought these were in the $50s still?

5. GTVeloce

GTVeloce Karting

Jul 19, 2009
    Kauai Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    JN Automotive Group is big here in HI. They have new car dealerships as well as used cars. Motorcycles too. Nice car. I don't understand the shipping cost of $5k unless of course you feel it must go by air.

6. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    Truck across the country is about $3000 give or take a little. Plane is about $2500 or so and by sea is just over $1000. The more and more I think about it, I can not go to see the vehicle and I am leary of spending this kind of money sight unseen especially when I feel there might be something wrong with the car.

7. cbstd

cbstd Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I would be VERY cautious about buying a used exotic from Hawaii. Nothing against the state of Hawaii, but exotics from the 50th state usually have spent some time as a rental. Horror stories abound about exotics that have retired from the whorehouse... er, rental shop.

Scott

8. Grigio 512TR

Grigio 512TR Karting

Nov 13, 2002
    Where's Diamond Head
    Hmmm, there has been a fair amount of discussion re: the absence of exotic car rentals. Not to say this particular example was or was not a rental, but I'm fairly sure there are very few F-cars, lambos and maseratis relative to the number of exotics owned in Hawaii that have been in the "whorehouse." Thus the broad sweeping generalization of exotics in the 50th state I beg to differ.

9. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    The fact that Hawaii is a small place completely surrounded by ocean could mean some corrosion that you wouldn't expect to see.

I wouldn't do it without a careful look-over.

10. gmhl10

gmhl10 Rookie

Apr 8, 2007
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Ho-Joon Lee
    Not to mention, that pic looks like the old JN exotics floor.
    They've moved to a new location for quite some time now.
    Interesting they don't have any newer pics... then again, they probably don't feel a need unless something's changed about the vehicle.

As for rusting or corrosion, there really shouldn't be rusting... especially on a 2006 (unless it's been in an accident and the body shop did a poor job... but since the vehicle condition report says: No Visible Rust, No Known Accidents, No Known Bodywork).
    I've seen 10 year old cars here without any corrosion.

What I would worry about is corrosion or proper greasing of the convertible top mechanism, hinges...

If you REALLY want this car, you should pay a mechanic that lives near the area who is impartial to JN Automotive and have that person go and take pics, inspect it on your behalf.

11. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    I was specifically thinking of alloy wheels, brakes, electrical connections etc.

Damp salt air has a way of getting to everything after a while.

12. rp456

rp456 Karting

Apr 26, 2007
    Any coastal town in CA or any state would have the same amount of salt in the air. I live in both states next to the ocean, and it is the same. I would be more worried about cars that are in places where they put salt on the road in the winter.

13. carreragt558

carreragt558 Guest

Feb 8, 2008
  14. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    This goes without saying here, especially if you're looking at a used Chevy.

Most Maseratis in Minnesota never see the outdoors while salt is on the road.

In Hawaii it's every day.

I'm not trying to condemn life in paradise, just pointing out another thing to check when buying a used car from thousands of miles away.

15. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    Thanks for the offer but I think I am going to pass on the car. I spoke with the dealership and they were supposed to get back to me yesterday with the warranty info, exact clutch and brake measurements and a few other minor things. Never heard back. Oh well, doesn't bother me. The search continues....

16. carreragt558

carreragt558 Guest

Feb 8, 2008

Anytime! Good luck with your research

17. rp456

rp456 Karting

Apr 26, 2007
    So, where does all that salt go in the spring? There has to be some left over.

18. rp456

rp456 Karting

Apr 26, 2007
    I do agree with you that when buying a car from far away, you need to be cautious. A PPI is always good.

19. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Storm Sewer.

Some high-end car owners wait until after the first big spring rain before getting the car out.

20. mauispence

mauispence Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Lahaina, Maui, Hawai
    Full Name:
    Jim Spence
    Ok Guys here’s the facts on salt in Hawaii.;)
    Thermal dynamics are the culprit at any sea shore area. Hawaii is a state made up of islands so there is a lot of shore line and that means everybody in Hawaii lives near enough to the shore line to be impacted by the process.
    Thermal dynamics? WTF! It goes like this. The sun shines on the land mass and heats it up to a temperature that is higher than the water and since hot air rises you end up with on shore breezes, absent overpowering trade winds.
    Air off the ocean has salt in it and when the sun goes down the land and the vehicles on it cool down you get salt residue left behind when the air flow reverses. Basically what you get is salty dew. The closer you live to the ocean the more salt you end up with. Unless you have a climate controlled garage no matter where you live in Hawaii you will get some salt some times. There are all kinds of things that can influence the amount of salt that ends up on your vehicle, but if raw air reaches it there will be some amount of salt residue left behind. It’s no big deal if you’ll hose your vehicle off with fresh water two or three times a week. You do need to pay special attention to places where water gathers and be sure to flush those areas out with extra care. I use a wand to wash the under side of my cars 2 or 3 times a year as well. I live within a 100 yards of the ocean so I have to be much more careful than someone who lives up country in Pukalani. Hope this helps.:)

21. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Thanks Jim, this is exactly what I was thinking.

While it certainly is paradise on your island there is a price to be paid for living near the ocean and rust is part of that price. Salt is pretty aggressive, even stainless steel is affected if it's exposed to seawater long enough.

The Great White North has a reputation for rusty cars and it's not undeserved but most of the rust happens during Winter. It's fairly dry and salt-free the other 8 months. This is why we drive "beaters" in the Winter. ;)