Longest road trip in your Ferrari? | FerrariChat

Longest road trip in your Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by robstand, May 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robstand

robstand Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 13, 2019
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Robert S.
    What was the longest road trip you took in your F-car? Where did you go? How many miles/km was it? What were you driving? What was your experience like?

2. Jb-Slow

Jb-Slow Karting

May 11, 2020
    Puyallup to Redmond to Northbend and back. I5 is terrible near Seattle, I would rather sit on a gravel compactor.

3. buhareb

buhareb Rookie

Dec 19, 2020
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Bu Hareb
    Drove Dubai to ras al khaimah and Fujairah and Back, around 280km.
    Driving 18' 488gtb, it was great, alot of curves, great mountains. But the speed cameras spoiled the enjoyment of speeding.

V1P3R 130 and tomc like this.
  4. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Both longest trips were from Paris to Maranello (both one-way, first trip because I crashed my 348 on the return path - that was decades ago - and second trip was the 70th anniversary rally with the 488, with the return by truck for the car and by plane for me).

Other trips (with return) are Paris-Marseilles (testarossa, 550 Maranello and 599 GTB), Paris-Spa (599 and 488), and many others from Paris to various tracks (from 300 to 700 km + return).

Nembo1777, V1P3R 130, Ann and 2 others like this.
  5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    450 miles/~ 800 km. DFW to Shreveport & back, to see a concert.

It was a blast! Our F-car - an '11 Cali - handled it like a champ, open roads, traffic, etc.
    When we stopped, people came over, chatted us up, took pictures with the car, etc.

Stress inducing events...
    1) avoiding road debris on expressway in DFW traveling @ a speed that may have been marginally above (;)) the posted speed limit. Lesson learned - Ferrari have great high-speed handling!

2) arriving @ hotel valet station. Wife got out, told valets no freaking way they were parking our car, started handing out $10s and $20 bills, got us a space up front, under cover, near a plug if we needed to tender it! Lesson learned - no one argues with a grouchy woman handing out money! :D

T

6. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Calling @vandevanterSH :D

T

7. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    I have always tried to drive my Ferrari purchases home vs. ship them(3 out of 6). Boston to Grand Junction in the 512TR, about 2500 miles. My 348SS from Phoenix to Kalispell, MT IIRC 1400 mile trip. Same trip in my 308 GTB. Several short trips over the years in Montana, 500 miles, its a big state so a 500 mile trip was nothing unusual.

imahorse, tazz99, Rembrandt and 6 others like this.
  8. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    I'll have to think about the longest; multiple trips to East Coast, 2500-4000 miles, Bar Harbor, ME the most distant. Multiple trip West Coast, 4000-5000 miles. Longest round trip 6000-7000 miles.

imahorse, NGooding, V1P3R 130 and 4 others like this.
  9. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Interesting question. Once upon a time a long time ago in a land without many interstates I was faced with a challenge. My new duty station was a Navy Supply Center in Bayonne, New Jersey, just across the Hudson from Brooklyn. My 1955 Ferrari 500 Mondial Series II was still in storage in Oakland, California from a prior to overseas assignment and the Navy will not ship your toys. I registered the Ferrari in my home state of New Mexico and collected my license plate. In April of 1963 I flew to Oakland and removed the straight exhaust pipe and with a section of flex exhaust tubing attached a large Chrysler muffler. I drove to Needles, CA to catch old Route 66 and headed east. Crossing the continental divide west of Grants New Mexico I encountered a blizzard, the hard skinny racing tires would lose grip on almost any incline and I watched with horror as the oil temperature gauge read lower and lower, and of course the heater was non-existent. That evening I thawed out in a relatives warm home in Albuquerque. The Lampredi four basically idled across country given the nature of the highways in those days. For the 3,000 miles I figure to have averaged a little under 19 miles per gallon which with the 40 gallon gas tank meant only four stops for gas. That compares to the 7 miles per gallon I would get on the racetrack. In an open cockpit car I encountered all sorts of weather, for instance I discovered that over 35 miles per hour the wind stream kept me from getting wet in the rain. In the days before sunscreen, even gloves and a hat couldn’t protest parts of you from the sun’s rays. A 1950’s race car suspension also does not provide the most comfortable ride particularly on primitive roads. Yes a memorable trip. I believe that this is the only time ever that a Lampredi four has driven across country and I doubt that it will happen again. This photo is in Bayonne after the cross country drive, notice the mandatory windshield wiper - manually operated!

Best regards,

Robert

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Caphill, ryalex, BerkeS and 59 others like this.
  10. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Up until the FCA Annual Experience in Scottsdale in Nov., 2019, my furthest trip with my 2008 612 OTO was about 4400 miles to Key West (included various side trips around FL). The Scottsdale trip was my longest at 6604 miles. After the FCA event we joined the Dino Rally (other cars were welcomed) and we drove up to Santa Fe to have dinner with Admiral Goodwrench and his wife, so that extended the trip. You can get the details in post #65 - https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/route-suggestions-albuquerque-to-scottsdale.611258/page-7

This April we drove the 612 to Celebration, FL for the Make-A-Wish benefit, and I've done multiple trips to Toronto, Montreal and Quebec City, but 1000 to 2000 mile trips are hardly worth mentioning. :D

I got my 2015 FF in Oct., 2019, and of course 2020 was pretty much a waste with no car events. So my longest trip with the FF was just finished yesterday. We went to Watkins Glen last Thursday to watch the Ferrari Challenge race and returned yesterday. I did 1220 miles on that trip.

As for all my trips in both cars, what was my experience like? Pure bliss! :):):)

Edit: Speak of the devil, my hero just posted ahead of me. He makes me look like a rank amateur!

11. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    What a story Admiral! So, if it rained, you had to drive with one hand and operate the windshield wiper with the other?!?

T

Nembo1777, LARRYH and rob lay like this.
  12. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    #12 simon klein, May 25, 2021
    Last edited: May 25, 2021
    This one back in about '11/'12.
    Carby group run in our island state of Tasmania.
    I was,as I had 2 of,lending my 365 to an ex carby owning bloke of very good repute.... ,they have to be used!
    Both my cars were in Brisbane,capital of Queensland,and i live west of Cairns 1000 miles away so I fly down.
    I had a mate,Arvin Grajau..here, from Melbourne fly up and another mate,Moretti from here..Brisbane and we drove the approx 1600 miles down plus the about 1000 miles around Tassy and then 1600 miles back to Brisbane with the 365 as the 330 was trucked back as part of the deal.
    I think the whole trip was about 10 days.
    Pics:
    Arvin and Moretti:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Arvin and in company in Tassy:

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    General trip replay from a geriatric brain of the longest trip...Little Rock, San Diego, PCH to S.F., Yosemite, N.P., Utah N.P.s, oil change Salt Lake, West Entrance Yellowstone, Glacier N.P., Going-to-the-Sun Road, St. Mary, Sturgis, Black Hills, Little Rock.

One sharp memory of that trip was at a bathroom break at the West Yellowstone visitor's center. I was walking back to the car and noticed a tour bus unloading an Italian tour group. The group was walking along the sidewalk and a little, elderly Italian lady with a head scarf and long cloth coat was standing in front of the Maranello. I walked up and she said "Ferrari" with a strong accent. I opened the door and motioned for her to sit in the driver seat....she sat for about 5 minutes and I reached in and pulled the hood release. She got out and looked at the V-12 and started crying. Then went to catch up with her family.

14. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Most recent big drive in the 308 was 4435km (2756miles) which included about 900km of an ‘event’ with closed road stages on some VERY nice roads! You can hear the car running sweeter and sweeter after the first few solid hours of driving. I have driven every state in Australia except the Northern Territory but the fuel stops are too far apart for the 308... that would be about a 7000km (4375miles) round trip. I have done it in an ordinary vehicle and it would be AWESOME in the 308 if I could figure out the fuel.

Island Time, wise3, TheMayor and 3 others like this.
  15. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Not a bad trip Simon but I think I did a little better in the 355 challenge ....... Brisbane-Sydney-Wagga-Hay-Barossa Valley- Adelaide-Rally (1000k easily including track day) then return trip to Brisbane , all up circa 7,000 kms

fezzakiwi, wise3 and kerrari like this.
  16. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    525 miles, from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, to Omaha, Nebraska, driving my F355 Spider home after purchasing it. We made the trip in one day, so it was all Interstate driving. We stopped for a nice lunch in ... Dubuque? Iowa. The check engine lught came on about 30 minutes into the trip, which wasn't super reassuring, but the gauges looked good so we kept going. (It turned out to be a fluke - the code was for the immobilizer, iirc what my mechanic told me. He cleared the code and it hasn't come back.)

17. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    15 minutes in a Scuderia is the longest....

4ROARE likes this.
  18. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Only about 140 miles longer than ours and mine,as is your's I suspect,is a guesstimate....post some of the pics John :)

19. Admiral Goodwrench

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    #19 Admiral Goodwrench, May 25, 2021
    Dear Paul,

You and Tricia are NOT rank amateurs, rather the epitomes of what Ed Gilbertson has preached for many years "Ferraris are meant to be driven!"

Keep up the good work and enjoy that superb machine.

Best regards,

Robert

4ROARE and TheMayor like this.
  20. Admiral Goodwrench

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Dear Tom,

The wiper rig was simply to satisfy the road requirement for a windshield wiper operable by the driver. It not only did not work as intended but was not needed.

Best regards,

Robert

NGooding, wise3 and tomc like this.
  21. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #21 ross, May 25, 2021
    well nobody is on the same level as the admiral !
    but....
    - drove the 348ts from london to spa and back
    - drove the 512tr from rome to london over 2 days with my dad when i bought it. thereafter i drove that car across the continent many times. london-geneva or vice versa at least 4 times. london- nancy return. geneva- monaco return and many more trips that i forgot.
    - drove the 456mgt from geneva to monaco return several times. geneva to nurburgring return twice. and many more.
    - drove the 360cs from geneva to monaco return several times (have the unofficial record return time in that car btw). drove the cs from geneva to brescia signed into the mille, drove the mille, then drove back to geneva. drove the cs from geneva to mugello with my father, tracked it there for a weekend and then drove back. did the same trip to imola. and other trips i have forgotten.
    - drove the 512bbi with my father from geneva to genoa, took the ferry to palermo, drove the giro di sicilia, did the targa florio, then drove back to geneva. best rally of my life.
    - drove the f40 from london to geneva in one day, could not walk the next day.
    - drove the 456mgta from vegas to houston via dallas. that was fun but hot!

i have probably driven well over 100k miles (maybe more) in ferraris over the last 20 years.
    it doesnt suck :)

becker, audi_328, NGooding and 12 others like this.
  22. 308gts79

308gts79 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2007
    San Francisco/Hong K
    FOG Rally in 1989 328 GTB San Francisco to Los Angeles, about 1,000 miles. International Rally in Shanghai (YRD) in 1979 308 GTS about 1,000 miles. Both cars ran flawlessly.

tomc likes this.
  23. robstand

robstand Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 13, 2019
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Robert S.
    Wow, wonderful stories! I love that you folks with older (and classic) F-cars drive the hell out of them. It kind of blows up the perception that everyone leaves their F-car in the garage.

I'm driving my 2015 California T down the 101 on the Oregon coast next month. Can't wait.

4ROARE likes this.
  24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    several "medium" trips in the 328 that just seemed longer because of the terrible AC! :) otherwise the 328 is a GREAT road trip car.

we did Crescent Classic several times driving up to Arkansas, 200-300 mile rallies daily, and then drive home. each of these would be around 1,500 miles total.

2019 Mia and I had a neat father daughter road trip in 328 DFW to COTA to New Orleans to Mississippi to Mount Magazine, Arkansas to DFW for 1,832 miles.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/father-daughter-road-trip.596009/

Rosey and wise3 like this.
  25. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    The ‘garage queen’ phenomenon is a relatively recent one.