Look What I Found in my Attic | FerrariChat

Look What I Found in my Attic

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by BlacktopRacing, Jan 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    This was among several models I kept from my childhood. Of the dozen I found, three are Ferraris (I must have known I would own one some day). This one in particular, I think is special. I believe it to be a 1962 GTO LeMans edition (based on the added air scoops in the back to cool brakes). I'm not sure of the brand, but likely Revell or Monogram. I plan to fix it up and try to make it more correct. Does anybody have tips for dismantling a 40-year old plastic glued-together model kit? Also, I'm not sure what color the wheel rings SHOULD be, but I'm sure they're not red. All the pics I found don't have them.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jakuzzi likes this.
  2. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    When I was about 8 I used to take mine apart to every component and put it all back together again within about five mins. Great toys. I can still remember the exhaust system, engine, and steering system how they all went together. Mine was Bburago I think.

3. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    That's cool, but I think you missed the part where I said this is a 40 year old glued-together plastic model kit. :) I built it when I was around 8. Its pretty fragile, so taking it apart and putting it back together would be like performing plastic surgery. Lol.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  4. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    I know they are different. I imagine heat will be involved. Try this forum http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/. My 250 GTO had two screws and everything else clipped into place. But I remember building and painting your type of model too............

5. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Need to find out what type of solvent will work on dissolving glue but not melt plastic.

6. Dino246gt

Dino246gt Formula 3

Mar 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba,
    Full Name:
    Dennis Ezmerlian
    A modeling trick for dis-assembly of old built kits is to run it under the tap then put it in a zip lock bag and freeze it, that usually helps it "POP" apart, repeat if necessary. I don't think there is a solvent to soften glue but not plastic. The glue used years ago melts the plastic together, so freezing is really the best way to get it apart other than "plastic surgery".

7. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    That's an interesting idea, but I may use an Exacto knife and make some improvements during reassembly. For example, the wheels don't spin, so I may drill tiny holes through the centers and insert tiny screws (old laptop PCs, which I used to take apart for parts, have tons of these). I still need to figure out what color to make the rings on the wheels. I haven't come across any pictures of 250GTO's white wall tires, lol.

8. rei24

rei24 Karting

Apr 12, 2009
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Klaus
    Yes, it´s a Ferrari 250GTO, and I´m pretty sure it´s the old AURORA kit.
    I have never seen one of these kits in Person, but have a couple of images.
    It´s quite rare today, but from time to time you can find one, not expensive-
    propably because it might be the worst 250GTO kit ever. Proportions are totally wrong.
    Anyhow, it´s a document of modelling history!

Attached Files:

9. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Wow you weren't kidding about the proportions !! Terrible !!

10. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    I don't think that's my model. I feel the proportions on mine are more accurate because it is longer front to back. The engine is also very detailed. I also don't recall having any experience with that brand growing up.

11. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    I just thought of something regarding the statements made about the model proportions. That is, is it possible there were two versions of this car back in the day? Like a short wheelbase and a long wheelbase version?

12. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    There were never any different wheelbase versions of 250 GTO's. Same for kits & models.

Rosey likes this.