Looking at a 2012 FF any major pitfalls I should be aware of? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Looking at a 2012 FF any major pitfalls I should be aware of?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by veelangs, Sep 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    no idea on 1 and didnt ask about 2.

2. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    I thought you had brought it to GTE a few months ago to have it preemptively repaired. I must have misread the thread.

Anyway, did you have your dealer send the the new unit to GTE?

3. veelangs

veelangs Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2021
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Vee
    glad i got this conversation going! learning a ton as I keep looking for that perfect FF

4. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    The perfect FF is the one that’s on your driveway…

Loxo, P2164 and papou like this.
  5. Carl A

Carl A Formula Junior
    BANNED

Feb 11, 2021
    Surrey U.K.
    Full Name:
    Carl Abernethy
    Get a pre-purchase Ferrari inspection report and a Ferrari warranty for the first year of ownership if the PTU issue worries you too much (did me)

LeoBRK likes this.
  6. veelangs

veelangs Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2021
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Vee
    Haha working on it! But more like my parking spot in the garage haha

So bumping my own thread I must have inquired on most of the publicly listed FFs since August/September when I started my search in earnest but work is super busy so I'm in no rush the right one will arrive. In that vein, before I commit to a PPI on a FF with a Bianco interior I've noticed the steering wheel is starting to show some wear. To be expected most of these are nearing 7-8 years old and this is a white wheel. I've seen plenty of wheel replacement threads for the LED wheel, but unless I could source a reasonably priced one of those I think that would be untenable, is there a reputable "leather refurbishment guy" that people use for these kinds of things? First point of contact when driving (which is why I usually would opt for a black wheel) so it do not want it to scuffed and worn

7. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    You're in Manhattan I assume? I don't know of any specific places, but there are many auto shops in Brooklyn around Prospect heights, I used to live nearby and my detailer was around there. You can try doing a yelp or google search for auto upholstery in that area. In my opinion the leather repair is something I would only do at a local shop where I can see and feel the leather they're using myself to make sure it properly matches the rest of the car.

If your dash is black then having the steering wheel reupholstered to black would still look original as that is how the majority of cars are configured. One other thing is to see what color the plastic surround behind the steering wheel is to match.

I've been on the lookout for an LED wheel, but my interior is Blu Scuro which is going to be very rare to find used, so for the most part I have no choice but to get any LED wheel I can find at a decent price and then reupholstering to match the blue. Or dyeing the leather is another option, but that's probably not going to work for you going from white to black.

8. veelangs

veelangs Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2021
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Vee
    Yes I'm in Manhattan, the vehicle in question has a bianco avus wheel that is worn down so I was hoping to find out as much as I could about refurbishing that as possible before I get it to an independent for inspection

9. Elasto

Elasto Karting

Aug 27, 2014
    Vienna, AUSTRIA
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Dying white leather shouldn't be a problem, especially if it's black you want.
    So if the steering wheel leather isn't torn or cracked, just dye it.

rhern213 likes this.
  10. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Unless you have semi-aniline leather, the colour you see on the leather is just a painted top surface. Repainting is easy.

If the leather is semi-aniline (which I doubt) then the dye goes through the leather which is why these furniture grade leathers age to a patina so well.

rhern213 likes this.
  11. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Wisdom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk