News

Looking at an AR Stelvio

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by niklas, Jan 14, 2020 at 4:32 PM.

1. niklas

niklas Formula 3

Apr 25, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    N. Olafsson
    It’s about time to pick up a new daily as mine has lived past its shelf life. I was considering a somewhat sporty car (ie. Infiniti Q60 Red, Corvette, BMW 2/4 series, AR Giulia etc) but where I’m living now I don’t think a sports car will help all that much in the winter. My current Jetta TDI is struggling as is.

With that said, I thought I’d turn my attention to AWD SUV’s, and the Stelvio caught my attention. From all I’ve read it seems sporty enough to scratch that itch I want, while being fairly good in the snow.

So what does the community say? Good idea or bad? Any owners like to chime in?

2. killer58

killer58 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Sporty is not an adjective I’d use to describe the Stelvio.
    I recommend renting one for a week. That may all the itch scratching you’ll need.

3. niklas

niklas Formula 3

Apr 25, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    N. Olafsson
    From the limited number of owners I talked to they described it as a fun car to drive with some decent power to it. Almost like a bigger Giulia.

Are they way off base? It seems like it could be enjoyable to drive.

4. killer58

killer58 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Fun, yes. Enjoyable, yes.
    Sporty, sadly no.

It’s really just a big car. Comfortable, a nice, quiet ride, and with a sufficient amount of power. So from that standpoint, I can understand why someone would view it as a larger Giulia. Of the few SUVs I’ve driven, the Stelvio was one of nicest. But it has too many annoying idiosyncrasies for us to ever consider buying one. Anyone who can tolerate the aggravating central dash and console must truly hate themselves.

That’s why I suggested renting one for a week or so. The deal-killer for us was the electronic emergency brake, the button for which is on the center console. The wife accidentally hit it while we were traveling down the freeway. While that grippy sucker will hold the car on the steepest hill in San Francisco, we were lucky traffic was sparse or we’d be dead.