Looking at moving from a 458 to 812 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Looking at moving from a 458 to 812

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Big A, Apr 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Big A

Big A Karting

Jan 21, 2015
    Australia
    Yes its sounds like the Speciale is the perfect car. Not many on the market here in Australia and they are asking above retail for them. I don't like the idea of paying someone more for a car then what they paid for it new. it would hurt.

2. MYF430

MYF430 Rookie

Sep 26, 2008
    Hi Mate, like yourself I jumped and ordered the 812. I am also in Australia. Have had the mid engine V8's since the 430. Driving a 488 spider at present. For myself the jump from 458 to 488 was a huge leap. I was given an allocation for the Pista. It's on the water hopefully will be in few weeks. As for the 812, got to drive it once on the street, and instantly I knew I had to get one. Ferrari screaming V12 is the ultimate feeling. I wanted the F12 when it came out, liked it but didn't love it. I thought it was hard to order bnew 812, long waiting list. Have fun and go with what your gut feel.

3. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    If money is an issue (Don't you just hate the people where its not ;) ) like for myself I'd look into an F12 to put along side the 458.
    812s are going to take a huge loss when the next latest greatest comes out just like the F12 did and the 599 before it. Unless its a V-8 with electric motors for boost. IMO Ferrari will always have a V-12 until mandated out of existence. Its in their soul.
    599's have settled down a bit with still more to come but more gradual.
    IMO a F12 is an incredible bargain for a "New" Ferrari.
    I dont like the Nike swoosh down the side but no car is perfect.

4. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    Getting an F12 isn't a crazy idea. It is an amazing car, almost as good as the 812. One can argue it has more classic styling.

The question is do you want the newest and greatest or are you trying to save a few bucks?

5. doeboy

doeboy Rookie

Jun 8, 2017
    jacksonville florida
    Full Name:
    Mark Byron
    I am anxious to hear what the OP thinks of the HP. I was in the general high end sports car market last year and bought the HP spyder which I love. Now looking to add a V12 Ferrari

Thecadster likes this.
  6. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Same...

7. vetteldude

vetteldude Rookie

Apr 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    John Schwyn
    You know it has 789 horse power and for that much I would take it. So I say go for it! It also looks and sounds great so that's a benefit.

8. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Imperial is getting ridiculous. We should start using metric, like the rest of the world.

vetteldude likes this.
  9. Big A

Big A Karting

Jan 21, 2015
    Australia
    So test drove the HP and yes I was impressed. It puts on quite the show. It’s loud, it aggressive it feels urgent and frantic and it looks great. I think it does exactly what I was looking for. And best of all I can keep my 458.
    The only issue I had is the one I drove had the racing bucket seats and the one that I want has the same seats. I’m 6 foot and 220 pounds and it was extremely uncomfortable. Was about to pull the trigger on one with the comfort seats even though I had the option of a better car but with the carbon buckets.

Spoke to an interior re upholster guy and he said for $1000 he will insert padding where necessary and customise the seat to my liking. And he promised me he will put the seat back together to look exactly like it was from factory. So today I put down a deposit on a Black HP with pretty much every option that you could get on it. The car was picked up new by the original owner in January and it has 953km on it so 592 miles. Sticker new was over $600k on road. I picked it up for $494k on road.

For some reason original owner flipped it for a 488 spider after 3 months and 592 miles. The car is in another state and I haven’t actually seen it in person yet but I will fly over on Tuesday to take a look. It’s at a Ferrari dealer and he promised me it’s as new with not a single blemish anywhere on the car. And the front end is already clear wrapped. I’ll probably clear wrap the rest of the car when I get it.

Funnily enough in Australia the demand for the HP is not that great. Few dealerships have brand new car stock sitting on the showroom floor and they are willing to discount. I was offered a new one for over $50k off retail that had the comfort seats. But the barely used one I went for was approx $110k below retail and was much better optioned.

I’m hoping we can get those race seats comfortable enough to be able to do 1-2 hour drives without needing physio after.

daytona355 and Thecadster like this.
  10. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Neither of the seats are good, comfort is a bit better though.
    Dealer can make the seat go back another 1” which is helpful as the left leg is cramped, and backrest angle is terrible. The Aventador doesn’t have this problem fwiw.
    I can do 90 min in the HPS but tiring.

Despite that it’s a total laugh and wonderful car.

11. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    I mean now you get to own both right? That's pretty cool.

12. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak

In my experience, mid engine and front engines cars, particularly Ferrari’s, are distinctly different in many ways, while sharing certain traits. I don’t think I ever failed to miss a V8 when I had a 599 and 612 in the garage, and then when they were gone and I had the 458, i still hankered for the long drive in a GT......

They are different, but they are the same. I might suggest that you find an F12, or very very late 599, to add a V12 to the garage for the moment. Ideally F12, as it’s closer in tech to the 458, and then see after a while which one you WANT to drive more often... once that’s decided, sell them both and buy the best V12 you can, or sell the V12 and get something totally different like an Uber-SUV or something, or target a special car like an F40 or similar.

Whatever you do, a Ferrari is always the most special car on the planet, whatever the model. I miss all of the ones I’ve had (I have cancer, so I had to stop with the crazy hard driving until Im killed or cured!), the Bentley GTC Speed I bought to toddle around in is special to 99.9% of the world, to me, it’s an appliance no different to a nice Mercedes or BMW

LightGuy and gzachary like this.
  13. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak

Hi, my reply immediately above was written before reading the last page.... ignore me. The HP is an awesome weapon, and sounds like you’ve done a great deal on it.... enjoy both cars, I think you’ll be far happier with these than just one V12 you were unsure about, buyers remorse at a million bucks is the worst kind!

14. red308

red308 Karting

Nov 13, 2006
    Pleasanton CA
    Big A -

I have just read through this entire thread and know what you are going through. I would like to offer you another opinion entirely. My 2 sportscars are a 2018 McLaren 720s and a 2018 Porsche GT2RS. From what you describe about your love for the 458, I suggest that you drive a 720s. I chose it over the Performante. For the punch and feel that you love with the 458, the 720s will take that to 2x. Both mid engine cars which gives you a similar feel on road.

Here in the US , McLaren has really gained a lot of traction. With the 720s Spider recently introduced, you may find a used 720s coupe for a great price. You will have no problem fitting in the standard McLaren sport seats. Mine has the manual seats which gives taller folks an extra bit of room.

Another option, is to wait for the F8 Tributo. Although that car will not be as special as the Pista it is very similar in performance and has a much lower price point. I, like you, I thought the 812 was going to be an interesting addition but opted out of it because of the GT ~3800 lb weight and high cost.

Good luck with your decision.

15. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Big A, I think a 458 with an F12 engine would be the perfect option for you... :)

Jasper333 likes this.
  16. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I had a two houre long drive in a 458. It is too easy to drive!! Very beautiful. Looks better than the 488, and sounds better too. The V12 cars are more «expencive» in the feeling... They are more relaxing in my opinion. I had a 17 houre long drive in my old 550 and I could have driven even more. Once you go for a long trip, it is like you can’t stop. To go into a hotel is so boring, so you continue to find another one later... i understand your dilemma. But remember that these are not problems. You can always get a 812 later, and at a much lower price.

17. Big A

Big A Karting

Jan 21, 2015
    Australia
    Thank you all for the feedback. It has been extremely helpful in putting things into perspective. I think even though the V12 GT is a great car maybe that’s just not where I am at yet with the experience I’m after.

I have pretty much committed on HP which I will be going interstate to check out tomorrow. I think the HP matches what I am after and with the deal I am getting it allows me to hold onto the 458. I just don’t think I am ready to part with my first love.

Having a forum such as this with so many knowledge minds contributing is such a benefit in assisting with the decision making process.

Very grateful. Thank you.

18. Big A

Big A Karting

Jan 21, 2015
    Australia
    Spot on. Do you have one available? :D

19. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    I WISH!!! :)

bobbyd likes this.
  20. Mike Chawla

Mike Chawla Karting

Dec 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mike Chawla
    Hello,
    I have 812 on order will receive in September this year, but I am offered 458 spider only 17000 km, my question is 458 spider old tech, question number two is it too hard too firm for DD

I am so tempted as I watch all youtube VDOs on 458 and every single VDO the review is crazy good

we have a great shop in Bangkok can upgrade the interior looks(Alcantara carbon etc) so it's all good there

thank you for your time about this, I am trying to figure the feeling of a car made in 2010 vs this era, will it be a big difference

In my country, a second hand 458 spiders (17000 km) is 660,000 USD so i have to be sure :)

for reference, this is the spec

https://www.one2car.com/en/for-sale/ferrari-458-spider-bangkok-metropolitan-ratchadaphisek-huai-khwang-lat-phrao-phetchaburi/5311280

thank you again
    Mike

dustman likes this.
  21. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007

Enjoyed my 458 Spider. But it has a LOT of flex and lack of rigidity. So be perpared for that. But the car sounds epic. So much better to the driver than the coupe or Speciale. On par with Perf Spyder, each sounding different.
    The tech is a bit old, sure, but all you need is your iphone plugged in for Nav and music (Bovee adapter). It's not like the tech in the 488 is that much more advanced. Hope it works out for you!

Mike Chawla likes this.
  22. Mike Chawla

Mike Chawla Karting

Dec 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mike Chawla
    thanks for your reply,do you still have the car or changed into something more new :)
    when you say lack rigidty do you mean the suspension is soft?
    i am looking to DD so need a little comfort as well from the car
    thanks for the feedback sir!

23. Big A

Big A Karting

Jan 21, 2015
    Australia
    I think the 458 is reasonably comfortable and can be a daily driver. Tech wise, who cares if it’s dated. You don’t buy a 458 for the tech or the interior. You buy it for its engine. It’s engine is a masterpiece. Sure newer tech is great. Updated interior is nice. But for me the number 1 thing is the driving feel and engine sound. And the 458 is one of the greatest drivers car around. That for me out weighs any fancy tech or flashy interior.

Mike Chawla likes this.
  24. Mike Chawla

Mike Chawla Karting

Dec 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mike Chawla
    great to hear when i say the tech i mean the tech in driving behind the scene for handling and grip etc,good to hear this then
    thanks for your feedback

25. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I went 458 coupe, Speciale, Spider, and then to Performante Spyder.
    I can see going back to 458 variants again some day, that’s how good the car is.
    Tech is fine, not like a 10yr old BMW. It’s totally fine because you only need your iPhone.

The spider has a lot of flex and wobble in the steering wheel, body, front, thru the wheels. For me it was a deal breaker, sadly, even though the open top exhaust note is truly masterful. I bought a 488 spider but would take a 458 all day over that car.

Mike Chawla likes this.