Looking for 308 help | FerrariChat

Looking for 308 help

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Lambertos, May 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lambertos

Lambertos Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2018
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Lamberto Smigliani
    Have an 85 QV. Installed Forza Radiator, waterpump, new thermostat, 12k in service from local dealer. Car likes to warm up at idle after 10-15 min. Runs cool down the road at speed. Fans seem to keep up. But car will get too warm for my comfort level.

Seen many posts with similar items. What was the results? Can anyone who corrected this issue reach out to me? i need to see what worked.

I did new booster pump/brakes, full service including lines. what is else to miss?

Thanks

Lambertos

2. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Sorry, not sure exactly what your problem is. Coolant temp is reading too high? When? Traffic? What is the temp in traffic and at highway speed? AC on or off? AC on in traffic?

Basically, the first thing to do is to replace your radiator cap. Next burp all the air out of the system. I did this by parking facing on steep hill with the car running (watch that hand brake) then bleeding air out of the front bleed valve. Did this on a couple of drives until ALL THE AIR IS OUT. Can't just do one and done.

If that does not work, then pressure test system/take to a radiator shop and have them diagnose it. The car should run cool.

3. Lambertos

Lambertos Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2018
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Lamberto Smigliani
    Not sure either! Been down the bleeding road, new radiator, new water pump and multiple tstats. Someone mentioned the expansion tank can be sucking air in through the top return hose? Is there supposed to be an "L" turndown in the pipe to ensure it does not suck in air? Fellow FC member "choice" said that he solved his issue with extending the tube below water line at the back of the expansion tank. See page three on Air in the cooling system chat.

Thanks

Lambertos

4. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Hi Lamb’, I have mondi QV so same system. Can I confirm that: you had a shop fit a bunch of new Forza parts and service and it came back with a 12k total but runs hot?

Can I ask what temp does it run, is it at idle, in traffic, how long at speed to run at normal?

What is ‘your comfort’ vs your manual? What other symptoms - eg loosing coolant from expansion tank after a run.

Sorry to ask for what may seem repeat info, but trying to get a clearer diagnostic picture. I replaced / reconditioned all my pipes, pump, radiator, thermostats.... so have a little DIY experience. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    We need a lot more specific tech information than "it runs hotter than I like."

6. Lambertos

Lambertos Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2018
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Lamberto Smigliani
    Temp running down the road at speeds above 40mph is 165-185. As soon as I slow down in traffic temp goes to 195 and will increase to 225. If I idle the car after driving temp will creep to 235+ when I shut it off. Takes 15 min to get to that level. Not comfortable to find out how hot it will go as I don’t want to overheat it

7. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    What is the ambient temp during all this? A QV will run perfectly with a good stock cooling system. You got a forza radiator. What else is not stock? What is the new waterpump? Is it rebuilt to new? Does it have the proper impeller or just one that appears to fit? There is a proper clearance spec for the gap of impeller to pump body too. Do you have a new stock Tstat or just one that fits? What process did you use to bleed the system of air? Are the fans working?

8. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    I am going with air flow over the radiator. Have the fans been changed? Has the wiring been updated with relays to provide a strong voltage?
    Weak voltage through Ferrari wiring, relays, fuses and switches will cause fans to run slower than optimum. If the car cools with added air flow (no traffic and open road), work on the fans.
    Had a couple Boxers and a 308 that were like this. Once we had the fans back up to speed, no more issues.

9. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    And it’s holding fluid, and not gaining air - remembering Kcaboilot’s car thread...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    - Make sure the system is properly bled of air
    - Check the fans. Even if they are getting a good amount of power, it's possible that after 35 years those fans need to be replaced. They do go bad eventually.

11. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Running lean maybe?

12. Lambertos

Lambertos Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2018
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Lamberto Smigliani
    Replaced fans. Bled system many times by dealer and myself. Might need to see about larger fans? Not sure. No pressure leaks in the coolant system nor through cylinder heads. Compression and pressure tests were good.

Ambient temperature during rides was 75. Car was heating up even at 50 degrees. Seems to be redeveloping air. Was curious about the L pipe in the expansion tank

Car does not seem to be lean. Runs hard and strong

What fans have people used?

13. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Look in the 308/328 section. Mike996 recently posted a similar cooling system thread(s) with lots of post mortem analysis.

14. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    What is the oil temp doing?

If it’s much cooler - bad water temp sender?

15. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    OEM or something else with non-oem radiator? Also, you need to do as Wade said in POST 8. You need to check the wiring. Ferrari runs lots of power poorly through that system. You could have voltage drop so fans run but not at right RPM to drive the cooling air. A quick check is how fast the fans run at idle VS how fast fans run when hotwired directly to a good battery. A significant difference maybe the answer to your problem.

16. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Get a laser thermometer and measure block temperature when guage reads hot. Verifu accuracy of guage. Some fail like that. You may not be overheating at all, just getting a bad reading from the guage.

17. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Why were all the new cooling system components installed in the first place. Was it running hot before?

18. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Ref an earlier post and another one above regarding 308/328 section - I would recommend kcabpilot’s thread. You are almost describing his situation to the letter.

19. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Unless something is wrong with the plumbing (changed from OEM or broken) you don't need to worry about the "L pipe at the expansion tank", or start dipping the overflow tube in the coolant.

Quick idea: if your cap is original, replace it.

20. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    What is your oil temperature doing. If it is reading normal you might want to check your water temp sender. Just a thought.

21. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Long shot, but not unheard of that the radiator fans are blowign the wrong way, either because the wiring has been reversed or the fan blades installed arounf the wrong way

22. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Or they aren't coming on soon enough. Check the temp switch to make sure it's turning them on at the right temp. Some folks have swapped in a lower temperature switch so the fans come on earlier. I think it's a VW part. Should be in the cross-reference parts thread.