Looking for a 228, 430 or 222E engine. | FerrariChat

Looking for a 228, 430 or 222E engine.

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by F456M, Mar 14, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Hi guys!

I am looking into getting a 2,8 liter 3v engine. Anyone know of one? Preferrably in Europe. Should be running and possible to install into my 228i which I recently bougjt and the engine has been sitting with coolant in the cylinders for about ten years. The engine dods NOT turn and i presume it is junk. Water is in the left bank, but right bank looks OK. What should I do? I want to get this car up and running during before this summer. The rest of the car is fine!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login View attachment 4025989 View attachment 3756029 View attachment 3330019

Attached Files:

2. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Well that's the quickest route assuming the donor engine is OK. I wouldn't be afraid to disassemble the one you have now and try and repair it. You might be surprised.

Eurospares had so many wrecked Biturbos with this and other engines in them. There used to be one over here that received a 4V motor transplant quite a few years ago.
    I think you should contact Eurospares directly. At one point they has some NOS factory Biturbo engines.

You might also want to go over to BituboZentrum and ask as there are quite a few people on that website but not all that much activity. The messages go all the way back to 1995 when I joined. You might already be there for all I know. Most people do not carry the same identifier from website to website like I do.

F456M likes this.
  3. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    BTW, the rear suspension arms are known to crack on these cars so have a look.

F456M likes this.
  4. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Thanks. Yes, there were many spare engines from wrecks etc., but that's a long time ago now. I will soon take the old engine out and see what is the situation with it. I poured diesel into the cylinders about a year ago and more in December. Some were empty and one had diesel in it. I guess it has something to do with the position of the pistons and exhaust ports... My other isea was to find an engine from a Quattroporte Ottocilindri, but then I wil have problems getting Norwegian registration for it... But migjt do it later.

5. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Those are relatively easy repairable issues. Looks to be a nice example. As you will have to pull the engine anyway, get it out and apart. I believe you will have an easier time fixing this one than locating another one, which may have its own issues by now as these are 30 year old engines.

F456M likes this.
  6. AbarthDave1

AbarthDave1 Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2015
    Marietta
    You can buy my 228 engine. The rest of the car comes with it for free.

Dave

Boomhauer and F456M like this.
  7. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I have sent you a personal message her Dave. It can be interesting for sure.

8. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Pull the engine and contact Jarle in Norway. [email protected] I bet he can hook you up with someone who could fix this properly or send it to Candini in a crate.

Ferraripilot likes this.
  9. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Jarle and I are good friends. We started the Norwegian Maserati club together in 2003! He had a Biturbo ES and I had a 222 4v. He also bought my Quattroporte III 4,9 Automatico! Good guy. I will pull the engine next month when I get space in my garage. Too much junk which needs restoration. Cars and boats. I bet Candini would take 15.000 euro or more to fix it and restore it to like new condition. That is waht Modena Tridente in Germany take. I can't do like that. Then I rather buy a Quattroporte Ottocilindri instead.

10. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Say hello to him. We've known each other for many years. Good luck.

F456M likes this.
  11. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I will. There is a guy here with a 430 engine, but it has been sitting for a loooong time in a collission car. I rather get something from a running car full of rust and just drop it in!