Looking for a 456 | FerrariChat

Looking for a 456

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by dr_rob, Sep 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dr_rob

dr_rob Karting

Oct 8, 2008
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Hi Everyone,

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum and needs to be in the for sale area.

After lurking for a long time and reading various threads and watching a chunk of YouTube I want to get my hands on a 456 or 456M.

I first saw one parked in the hotel scene in Ronin, and despite all the newer models, it is still my favorite.

I am looking for a driver-spec car. Some wear and tear is fine with me. It's going to have small kids in it, and go all over the West Coast and hopefully further! Not concerned about miles, and would consider pretty much anything apart from salvage title.

I have reached out to Mike at Yellow Compass and had some productive chats with a few members here. I have searches out on all the usual sale sites.

My current fun/track car is a 997.1 GT3 with 80k miles. With the help of a QuickJack and YouTube, I do all the maintenance work myself. I've done everything from belts, coilpacks and plugs, to coilovers and a complete brake caliper rebuild with new pistons and seals. My ambition would be to do as much of the routine/preventative maintenance myself so I can really get to know the car.

I'm not buying an investment, I just want an amazing car that can fit a 2yo and 4yo in the back, a wife in the front and perhaps some overnight bags. The investment for me is time in the garage with the kids (they have a set of plastic tools and love to help), and then fun day trips with the family.

Leads on cars are appreciated. Does anyone keep a database/registry of VINs that would make cross checking cars that do come up for sale? Other advice also welcome.

Thanks for reading.

Rob

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Rob, I’m 47 and have 5 and 6 year old girls and had considered a 456.

I’m going to DM you with a few thoughts, love the 456.

3. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    I am 47 and we have a daughter (7) that we like to drag around :) it is literally the perfect car (for us anyway) !

It took about 6-7 months of exhaustive hunting until the right one popped up, we bought it over the phone same day and shipped it to CA. Great car for family road trips up the coast to Santa Cruz during Monterey Car, or Malibu on the weekends, fun to bop around LA in too.

You will love it !

Image Unavailable, Please Login

paulchua and 635CSI like this.
  4. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Rob,
    I've been the keeper of a 456M registry for the last 4 yrs or so. It only covers the M cars that came to the US. I'm working toward expanding it backwards to pick up the original 456s during the winter (long, dark, and cold here in NH...perfect for hobby stuff). I've attached the most recent version of it here for you. Hope it is somewhat helpful.

Attached Files:

kevinkw and dr_rob like this.
  5. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Rob,

Along with Eric, I’ve been tracking M sales since 2017.

You may have luck with Chuck Salerno in your neck of the woods.
    Else, I’d call Mike Sheehan down in SOCAL.
    Both helped me during my search, and in fact I bought my M GTA from Chuck.

There’s an M GTA currently listed at Marshall Goldman’s. It looks to be in fairly good nick.

Also, BaT seems to list one for auction quite frequently.

Send me a PM and I can send you a PPI checklist I developed during my search. Else, you can find it on the other site, I’m killer58 there too.

6. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

I just turned 52 and have two girls and a boy, but the girls are 25 and 23 this fall! :D But they still fit in the 456 GT we’ve had now for seven summers. The boy is also already 18 but does not have a driver’s license, yet.

The trunk is useable, although not exactly big. For tours I got the Schedoni luggage bags that fit, especially the one that goes in the spare wheel well (not GTA) is a space and time saver.

Cheers!

7. SteveVT

SteveVT Karting

Nov 30, 2019
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I am a Maranello owner, but have a real soft spot for the 456 - elegant and powerful. I love how the interior is modern enough to be comfortable, but still looks very classic V12 Ferrari.

One option on the market is the Rossa Monza 95 at Mohrs: https://www.mohrimports.com/for-sale/ferrari/1995-ferrari-456-gt/1111.html. As I recall, Mohr got it from the Sheehan's- I think. Price was high a year ago, but now looks reasonable relative to the market for a driver. Nice color combo (at least to me). I'd be curious to hear what folks think of that one and if there is a reason it hasn't sold. Is there are story there?

El Wayne likes this.
  8. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    I'd sell you mine. Near Toronto, non-airbag '95 I imported from Japan 5 years ago. just under 30k kms. High driver quality, 575M wheels, resonator delete. PM me if interested.

dr_rob likes this.
  9. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
    I love Tantamaude's, but mostly because I prefer the non-airbag version!

Fennicus and tantumaude like this.
  10. Everettpa1

Everettpa1 Karting

Apr 7, 2021
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Everett Burns
    Look in Europe. That is where I found mine. Lots more cars and options and prices can be reasonable. I searched 456GT for sale in Europe and there were over 70 hits. Narrowed to a few choices, had PPIs done, and bought the best one I could find in the color I wanted. You will spend $5-8K more than buying one here in shipping and duties but like I said prices seem more reasonable.

dr_rob likes this.
  11. dr_rob

dr_rob Karting

Oct 8, 2008
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Love the idea of the imports, but looks like California is one of the hardest places to get them registered.

I'm going to go check out that Mohr's one, just so I can get a proof-of-concept that I can fit the family in it I (knowing that the 456M has more room in the back without the fixed armrest). I am 6'2", as is my wife, and both kids are not quite ready for boosters.

I do wonder why that car has sat for so long - I noticed in the walk around that the front hood does not line up on one side.

Very grateful for all the communication I have had so far. You have all been very helpful.

The search continues!

Ferrari55whoa and SteveVT like this.
  12. Everettpa1

Everettpa1 Karting

Apr 7, 2021
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Everett Burns
    The one at Mohr is sale pending. One of the issues was the high priced he wanted versus what he paid for on BaT.

He paid $51K for it here:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1995-ferrari-456-gt-4/

The color combination is just ok. Seems like a decent driver quality car.

I don't know how tough CA rules would be in registering the car. They don't have an "antique" designation or something like that? We have that in PA so no emissions are required.

dr_rob and SteveVT like this.
  13. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    CA is Capital-F’d and a buzz kill.

Anything not originally in CA with an existing smog pass history is way more hassle than I would ever deal with. Gas is only smog exempt if 1975 and older, light diesel 1996 and older. If it wasn’t originally imported then even if older than 1975 it’s still not easy.

My personal search and emphasis was heavily focused on cars I could both put my hands on, conduct a PPI and hopefully already in CA. Unless you have free time and abundant patience then monkeying around in CA isn’t worth the hassle.

dr_rob likes this.
  14. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I might have also missed it…prior to the sale pending what was the ask at mohr?

15. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
    The Mohr car I looked at closely 2 years ago... their ask and inflexibility on take is primarily why I did not finalize.....

16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Welcome!! It's a great car - I would say you need to get a six-speed. While I love my GTA, it's a cruiser that shows its stars in freeway or sweeping turns—perfect car for eating up hundreds of miles. The six-speed is much more 'fun' and closer to the Ferrari mystique.

On the flip side, If you already have a Ferrari or something more sporty - it's a great compliment. - I can think of no car better cruiser than 456MGTA. (cost aside)

arkferrari and dr_rob like this.
  17. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    I looked at the car for another F-Chat member.
    It was very nice cosmetically, both inside and out.
    Interior was near mint, I don’t recall any flaws I would have wanted remedied.
    There were a few minor chips and mars on the exterior. A couple on the bonnet about the size of a rice grain I’d would have wanted fixed. They were noticeable. The were some micro-bubbles in the paint on the rear bumper, a known weak spot on these cars. An area about an inch long and 1/4 in wide area. All would be very easily fixed.
    The engine had recent work, belts I believe, but they didn’t repaint the peeling manifold. Odd.
    Didn’t drive it so can’t comment on that aspect.

Il Tifoso likes this.