Looking For A Mentor in HI | FerrariChat

Looking For A Mentor in HI

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by Doc_K, Jun 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doc_K

Doc_K Karting

Oct 19, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Full Name:
    Ian K.
    Greetings all. My name is Ian. I currently live in Aiea, and am serving in the Navy here in Hawaii. I'm trying to find a mentor here, if possible. I don't plan on staying in the Navy and I want to find people that I can talk to that are living the lifestyle I am striving for or have succeeded at the goals that I currently have for myself. I decided to look on here, because there seems to be a lot of active members on here from Hawaii. I'm looking for someone that I can learn from about business, maybe even marketing and investing-I'm looking for any knowledge I can get my hands on. Right now, I consider myself an entrepreneur in what I'm currently working towards.

I'd be willing to buy lunch, dinner, a beer, anything that I can do to give back. If anyone is willing to help me out, please let me know! I'm not trying to waste anyone's time and I am very serious. Feel free to email me or message me on here! I really appreciate it! My email is [email protected]. Thank you!

2. ReinD

ReinD Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2010
    Since you're in the Navy, you should take a look at Safari Books Online, which is free to members of the DoD with a dot mil email address. It has a lot of business eBooks about the subjects you're interested in. You can register with this link: Safari Books Online - Premium - Home

And watch this! Not so much to get into real estate, but more about what he has to say about money.

Good luck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlElYCLE14s

3. Doc_K

Doc_K Karting

Oct 19, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Full Name:
    Ian K.
    Thank you! I'll watch it today. On another note, I just finished my Hawaii Real Estate Course, and need to take the state exam.

4. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Interesting post Ian. A lot of people in Hawaii would like to be in the Navy! I might not have any advice that helps your quest the way I understand it but wanted to say that the guys I knew who did really well in life were the ones who retired from the Navy (or other service) and went to work in private sector related jobs. Defense contractors are here in many capacities to service, sell, maintain the items they manufacture so maybe that is an option for you.

Raytheon, & Northrop Grumman, maybe Boeing, have positions here. I don't know what you learned in the service but without a clear transition strategy you might be best served to get all you can out of the Navy first? I only mention this in case you did not consider it.

Real Estate license? I think Hawaii has the largest per capita percentage of agents in the Nation so you are in a crowded pool there. Found it...

According to NAR, the top 10 states with the most Realtors per capita are:

Arizona, where 1 in every 168 residents is a Realtor
    Hawaii, where 1 in every 173 residents is a Realtor

Talk about a tough place to start out! Did you consider just living the Hawaii lifestyle? You know, the simple life? We have that here on tap but the ones who want to get to the top in business go elsewhere and then return. Usually family ties help companies know that you mean business when you plan your return.

You probably know this stuff already, hence your post to connect with someone looking for a partner. There was a guy that posted in this section a couple of months ago who was looking for partners/leads to start something IIRC and was moving here. Maybe reach out to him? Was that you?

Not sure if I am contributing or not to your cause but if I am in some way feel free to PM me or post it up your thoughts here and I will respond.

5. buzzpics

buzzpics Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2013
    Frisco Tx
    As someone who was Navy, and lived in Hawaii, Get out and do! I made some pretty good extra money working with Senor Frogs, Zanzabar, SoHo etc, learning event promotions. (I also met lots of nice looking girls). The navy does give you lots of options to pursue your own goals outside. I made a good bit of extra cash buying a condo and renting it out to shipmates, and eventually fixing up and selling it. It's your journey, the world is yours, and you have one of the best backdrops in the world at your doorstep.

6. F355steve

F355steve Formula 3

Apr 9, 2008
    Honolulu - Seattle - Okinawa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'm still here Kevin! Just crazy busy with starting a business and saving another one. I will update the progress later but I did find what I was looking for. I'll be in Honolulu in about a month with a retail store in Waikiki as well as another operation that is already running on another island. Beats sitting in an office that is for sure.

To Ian, lets chat when I am on Oahu. May even have some opportunities to get your feet wet depending on what you are looking to do.

Steve

7. Doc_K

Doc_K Karting

Oct 19, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Full Name:
    Ian K.

Thank you! I wasn't aware that we had so many real estate agents here. My main job right now is being an inventor. I'm currently working on something, in my opinion, that is very big, and I hope to sell it this year to a major company, but I definitely hope to sell at least two places before I leave here. I really want to pursue a business atmosphere. I love creating, selling, etc.

Thank you! I appreciate it! Good idea!

Sir, I can't thank you enough! You sound like you are quite experienced! I would respectfully like to take any opportunities that you are willing to offer me. I am willing to learn anything and everything that I can get my hands on. I've always seen myself working in a business environment and really want to pursue this field. I can definitely see it benefitting me for the best, and I would like to contribute back in any way that I possibly could.

8. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I'd offer to help, but I'm just dog sh*t lucky. lol

9. Doc_K

Doc_K Karting

Oct 19, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Full Name:
    Ian K.
    Lol! Well, I believe it certainly doesn't mean that I wouldn't be able to learn a thing or two from you! :)

10. Raconteur

Raconteur F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2015
    Portlandia, OR
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Hi Ian.

Not sure what field you want to get into, but hope the follow is of some help.

1) Ask how well do you know yourself? You can start with learning about Myers-Briggs and "what are people's natural preferences" so you can relate easier. (eg. If someone you're engaging with is a list maker and you're more random/go with the flow...that meeting won't go too well.)
    2) Learn about DiSC. (eg. When in situations, do you want to drive everything? If the person you're engaging with is also a driver, you're not going to agree too often.)
    3) Get to know Harvard Business Review's very simple rule for success: subject matter expertise, timing, and luck. Subject expertise usually takes 2 - 5 years, if not more for highly technical topics.
    4) Do what you enjoy; the money will follow.
    5) Learn to gain someone's trust through: credibility (what you say and how believable you are to others), reliability (actions, and how dependable you are), and intimacy (consider how safe people feel sharing with you).
    6) Learn to listen critically. This is a very tough skill. Tone, inflections, body language, etc.

A few links:

HumanMetrics - online relationships, personality and entrepreneur tests, personal solution center (a quick survey for MBTI; not official, but decent assessment)
    TrustSuite
    Emotional Intelligence 2.0 - Take the Test

Good luck.

Cheers.
    Frank

11. F355steve

F355steve Formula 3

Apr 9, 2008
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hi Ian, experience is a relative term. I am way more experienced than the 25 year old me but in ten years the 45 year old me will look back and think of all the things the 35 year old me didn't have a clue about. Best is to keep humble, keep hungry, work harder and smarter every chance you get.

I'll be crazy busy the next month but feel free to shoot me a message sometime in the end of July and we can find a time to meet and chat.

Steve

12. Will175

Will175 Rookie

Nov 21, 2012
    What is your job in the Navy?

13. Doc_K

Doc_K Karting

Oct 19, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Full Name:
    Ian K.
    Corpsman. I used to be in Pay.

14. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

FLORIDAsnakeEyes Formula 3

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    Switch to MI. go NSW.

I have made my entire career in NSW/MI (I am still Army, but it's all joint now) I am "lower enlisted" and have made the system work for me. I am proof that you can get ahead and be very prosperous from utilizing the service. I reclassed numerous times until I found a MOS (or tech school as you call them?) that would feed me better options with DoD. I went from ISR (google it) to payload ops to UAS pilot. Now I am at Tampa. I can't say what I do now OPSEC, but it's well over 6 figures. All this from networking in the service. YOU HAVE ALL THE TOOLS in the service. It will lead to DoD civ jobs. Now I milk the system as a reservist bouncing from active to reservist. ALWAYS extend in the IRR, no matter what!! If you don't know what IRR is google.

We just sold our house on the N shore ( I was at Hawaii- Oahu for 7 years of my career, by choice). I know all about Kuhio and 13 turns and soaking it up in Punalulu etc lol.

PM me any time. You really have a major advantage being in the service. NOBODY has the resources and hookups that we do.

I am also a Battalion Career Counselor, and can steer you into all the big money jobs.

15. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

FLORIDAsnakeEyes Formula 3

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    from the hip, UAS operations (Boeing Scan Eagle) in NSW, Xray tech Medcom and Nuclear. I know the Navy has those 3, same as us, and they all pay over 6 figs in the PS.

Stay away from aviation, no money in it, totally career ending ( I Know...lol)

16. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Ian, I just wanted to thank you for your dedicated service to this wonderful country of ours.

17. Joshieburger

Joshieburger Karting

Aug 21, 2015
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Aviation career ending??? Ouch! What am i supposed to do now? ;)

18. Doc_K

Doc_K Karting

Oct 19, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Full Name:
    Ian K.
    Thank you, very much! It is a pleasure. I hope to get out soon as it is just not for me, but I will proudly have served my time.

19. DreamCarrera

DreamCarrera Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Nice post!!!

You sir are the King of acronyms...heart felt thanks to you and the OP for your service...

20. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    With the risk of sounding obtuse or offering a didactic reply, follow your passion --not the money.

It will make it easier to get up every morning putting your heart and soul into work that is personally fulfilling.

Sent by incredibly fast electrons

21. Doc_K

Doc_K Karting

Oct 19, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Full Name:
    Ian K.
    #21 Doc_K, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2015

I'd like to post an update, and I hope that's okay with Steve. Since meeting Steve, I've learned a lot, and learned that that man has a lot of motivation. The amount of work that he puts towards something he believes in is truly unreal. I'm quite envious and wish that I had the motivation that he does. (I'm trying to get there, haha).

Since meeting Steve, I've made a great friend and mentor. I've learned a lot about life, business, etc. and I know I will definitely learn more.

Since meeting Steve, I've started a Company here in Hawaii along with two of my friends from other states. We're working on releasing a phone app soon. I'm very close to showing an invention to some major companies, and I'm working on another invention on the side with my company that many auto enthusiasts will be sure to enjoy. Life is good. I can't thank Steve enough.

Ian

22. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    Very cool. I hear the passion in your post. Best of luck - Al

Sent by incredibly fast electrons

23. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    The topic title caught my attention scrolling down the main forum.

I don't want to discourage apps and inventions, but in my opinion its the same or worse then real estate being too crowded. Everyone and their dog is trying to develop the next great phone app. Its about the same as trying to write and record the next hit song. Inventions are in the same category. I actually believe real estate, is the better bet and investment of time in this thread.

The mistake real estate agents make is treating it like a job and wait for the agency to give them work. Sure there is lots of agents, but I guarantee almost all are lazy.

this is how you do real estate as an agent: http://www.janehoffman.com/ you create your own name brand and use an agency as support.

24. Doc_K

Doc_K Karting

Oct 19, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Full Name:
    Ian K.

Thanks for the advice, but if everyone adopted that line of thinking the there would never be anything new and exciting in life, would there be?

I finished real estate school, but that's on the back burner for later. I'd rather change the world through something I've made than sit at a desk and call clients all day. At the end of the day, I'm making money doing something I love.

25. F355steve

F355steve Formula 3

Apr 9, 2008
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Keep at it Ian. You are on the right track. I'm not talking about the product, app or invention (although I wouldn't be surprised of one of them blew up) I am talking about you.

Life has many obstacles and people trying to hold them down. What most don't realize is the only thing really holding them back is themselves. You don't have that. Press on.