Looking for an expert leather trimmer with Ferrari experience | FerrariChat

Looking for an expert leather trimmer with Ferrari experience

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Dave rocks, Sep 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Hello folks,

Sadly, a very well known trimmer I had been working with has let me down on some work I had sent them to do. I sent them the work 2 years ago and sent the parts back once and after receiving them the second time, the work still has issues and they are not stepping up to make things right (Note, 6 months of the 2 years was in my court as I was too busy to open the crate and review the work - so I don't hold that against them).

I gave them all the time in the world, never once pressured them to get the job done as I'm doing a full restoration and the car won't be done for a few years.

I need someone that has relentless attention to detail and understands the goal of a restoration is replicating the factory as close as humanly possible.

I'm hoping what's been done can be re-worked but I know that will depend on the availability of the leather used by the first vendor and I don't know the source. So, that will compound the efforts for someone else to pickup the pieces and make this right.

I appreciate and leads in advance.

Note - anywhere in the USA is fine but I'd prefer to keep this in the country.

Thanks.

2. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I've had a good experience with Peter at Maximilian Classics in Gladstone, NJ (908-234-2700). He works in the same facility at The Stable classic car dealership.

Good luck.

3. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
  4. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Ken, unfortunately, that is the shop that let me down.

5. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
  6. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Wow, I'm surprised, and sad to hear that! Their reputation has always seemed to be of the highest quality (from what I've seen in person too).

Sorry to hear that's happened Dave. I hope you find someone to rectify the wrongs.

7. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #7 Dave rocks, Sep 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Trust me Ken, I'm sickened by this. Especially since I had to send back a large crate once prior and I was being a good guy and did so at my expense of $250.00. I've also sent at least a half a dozen clients their way.

These photos show the issues I've been dealing with (some corrected). Johann is semi-retired now, perhaps that is the reason - I don't know. His response to these photos was "we can't make you happy" - I know I'm very particular and I told him that from day one. I'm not sure who would be happy with these issues...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    I would be unhappy with this work as well.

CiaoBella81 and 308 milano like this.
  9. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I would be just as mad. That work is below sub par

Connelly hides btw?

10. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    how about trying johan's son - he is in bedford ny somewhere

11. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I did. And, I gave him every oppurtunity to make it right and he has done nothing.

No, these are not Connelly. I was told the leather is from Austria

12. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    They're 10 mins from my house, and a mile from my warehouse.

Want me to rough em up?!?!? ;)

13. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I did not deal with his son. It would be wrong of me to not address this with whom I dealt with and that is Johann. Prior to him shipping back the second time, I said "Please review all of these in detail with your own eyes and be sure it's 100% correct".

I don't think Johann did the work and I don't think he reviewed it. My guess is this is someone else in his shop.

14. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    No thanks. Integrity seems to be gone along with nearly $8,000 :(

15. guygowrie

guygowrie Formula 3

Sep 19, 2011
    ct
    Full Name:
    guy s
    http://www.vantageupholstery.com/contact.html

One man shop next to Vantage motors in Stamford. Phil does all the work himself. I've done minor work so far (retrimming a Dino glove box and retrimming my BMW headlining. He fits these jobs in around bigger projects like the complete interior he is doing on a Maserati convertible. Full as in new door panels, welding in new seat springs and upholstering from the floor pan up.

I have found him very straightforward to deal with, prompt, priced reasonable especially as everything came out 'right'. I've been looking a doing a set of seats and He has taken more time than he needed to more than once to talk me through the process/leathers/challenges.

I just never detected any bulls$t with him.

Guy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Thank you, Guy. I will give Phil a call this week. I noticed he was a co owner and head man at another shop that does exotics - I wonder if that was CoachTrim?

17. guygowrie

guygowrie Formula 3

Sep 19, 2011
    ct
    Full Name:
    guy s

I think originally he may have been with Vantage motors next door, but now independent (afaik and don't quote me - I could have that all wrong) Think they have a symbiotic relationship - Vantage motors has a bit of an Aston focus but has lots of good stuff in there - jags, a mangusta, bunch of fcars, Masers when I was there last week. It's nice little surprise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Sorry to see this Dave. You aren't being picky, that is just unacceptable. Very sloppy work.

Doesn't look like it could be repaired unless it's possible to break seams to add more material. (And source matching material). Do you have all of the original stuff for patterns?

19. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Thanks, Jim. The parts that are done well look great but the ball was dropped at the goal line. I've always said people make mistake and I judge on the resolution. Well, this is a prime case. Screw up and blame the customer for being impossible to please.

When I sent the work back the first time, they called and asked me to send the original hides back to review. At that point I told them they may keep them for the future. I had total confidence and trust that this would be right when I got the work back the second time, hence me taking a long time to open and review.

Those that follow me here will likely remember me speaking very highly of this shop. My mistake for doing so until the work was 100% complete.

20. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Vic at Topsonline.com has done 3 cars for me with excellent results. In CA though.

21. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Spoke with Phil - thank you. Nice guy. He was the lead trimmer and partner at Coach Trim. It seems rather obvious that CoachTrim's finest days have passed.

22. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Dave talk to Jack Babbitt at NJB, Westerville, Ohio...

23. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Good luck with your search and if you find a good one, please let me know also.

Since loosing couple old-school trimmers I knew to that "eternal retirement" several years ago, I've been trying to find a good one around SoCal with no luck.
    Interviewed many, tried some of the more highly recommended/regarded individuals or shops, but all turned out less than capable.
    Interestingly perhaps, some even had extensive experience with high-end, vintage cars, incl. $8-figure Ferraris, PB entries, etc., but even those failed at surprisingly simple tasks on what most would consider a lot lesser cars.

And no, money wasn't an issue, I just told them "do your absolutely best and charge me accordingly when all done".
    Based on that statement, which one shop owner took so literally, that he invoiced me for all 3 failed/unacceptable attempts after I had pulled the job, but as a man of my word, I felt obligated to abide by my poor choice of them.
    Another lesson learned.

ShineKen likes this.
  24. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Timo - I agree, it tough out there. People are quick to label the customer "too hard to please" to make up for their lack of care.

In my business, over the last couple of years, we've had about 2 returns. The cause of issues truly unknown but perhaps shipping damage or even the customer. First and foremost, I respond IMMEDIATELY upon being made aware and handled the issues with no finger pointing.

I guess it's the way my parents raised me.

25. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Hi Dave -

My dad had this Vermont shop reupholster the seats in his '65 E-Type, and their clientele send Jags, Rolls Royces, Dusenbergs, Bugattis, etc. to this shop for concours interior work.

No idea of his current workload or if he is taking on additional work - but he's highly regarded in very tight circles...

Richmond Upholstery | Service