Looking for Cavis hose replacement | FerrariChat

Looking for Cavis hose replacement

Discussion in '308/328' started by dinoart, Feb 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    I m replacing the tired Cavis hose on my US 85 QV GTS. It runs from white plastic reservoir to the windshield spray nozzles. Anyone know where I can get some new hose? Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    If it's important, that it wears the 'Cavis' lettering, Superformance in the UK has the green Cavis fuel hose in stock. IIRC correctly 5x9mm shoult be the correct size.
    It the lettering is not so important.... I used green aquarium water hose from the pet shop or home hardware store :)

Best from Germany
    Martin

detroiter likes this.
  3. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
  4. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Martin
    I have the non Cavis hose aquarium style ready to go but before I put it on I'll check the UK Superformance to see how expensive it is. Also those judges with sharp eyes, the aquarium hose will stick out like a sore thumb. Thanks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. tonyswfla

tonyswfla Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 2, 2007
    Florida
    Ok

6. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Since you said it...is judging really that anal? I thought "appropriate" replacement parts were accepted. Do I need a UFI oil filter or will Baldwin or FRAM pass muster? Most "Cavis" hose isn't even Cavis...it is light green "Aquarium Style" with "Cavis" printed on it, no? If this is what judges perseverate over, what a pity!

Martin308GTB likes this.
  7. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    I have not seen anything close to original Cavis hose for sale anywhere. It is all Cavis hose "style" and often the dimensions are incorrect. Step carefully.

Best regards Peter

8. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Sorry, please help me understand.
    Is Cavis a style of hose or a brand of hose manufacturer ?

9. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #10 Martin308GTB, Feb 6, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    It was a hose manufacturer. They even made clear fuel hoses called 'Cavis Benz'. "Benz" for "Benzina". I got a meter of their original stuff some years ago for the upper fuel vapor lines pieces. They made ignition wires too. I have several meters on my shelf and don't know what to do with it.
    But here we are talking about water hose for the windshield washer. And if you call common green aquarium water hose from the pet shop "Cavis style", it seems, that you can charge $28.00 per meter .While I got it for $1.00/mtr. at the pet shop.
    Those, who want to have their cars "classiched", have of course to purchase "Cavis style" hose from a certified source.
    Sorry for BS :)

Best from Germany
    Martin

Rosey likes this.
  10. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    As Martin has correctly stated Cavis is indeed a manufacturer that supplied hoses and wires to Ferrari. I do believe they are still in business but new production items have a pixelated computer applied print that looks nothing like the original and their ignition wires are again computer printed instead of embossed like original. The stuff Newco sells is the correct colour but not printed with the correct markings assuming you want to match original hoses.

When you really get into the fine details during a restoration all this stuff matters yet is rarely caught by even the most astute judge. Even if you look at the wiring harness very closely you will see that the wires themselves have CAVIS embossed on them. When I did my Dino restoration a few years back I sought out NOS ignition cable with the embossed markings and made my own stencils to mark my washer hose just like original.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
  12. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Thanks guys.
    You learn something new every day (especially on this great forum).

13. conan

conan Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2011
    What hose did you use for the vapor lines?

14. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Green stuff from FerrariUK/Maranello Parts with "Cavis Benz" lettering. That was some years ago, when they still had these. Now they say 'not available'

But Superformance in the UK carries something "Cavis Style".
    Scroll down this page to "Fuel Hose & Clips"

http://www.superformance.co.uk/308/fuel.html

Just to be clear. It might be uncorrect, that I talked about the "vapor lines". I mean the upper balance pipe connection between the tanks.

Best from Germany
    Martin

15. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Martin your cables are correct as Ferrari changed from red cables with embossed writing to black cables with printing sometime around 79-80. As with all things Ferrari it is never an exact science as to when certain parts were used but there are trends that can be observed.

16. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    But Superformance in the UK carries something "Cavis Style".
    Scroll down this page to "Fuel Hose & Clips"

http://www.superformance.co.uk/308/fuel.html

Just to be clear. It might be uncorrect, that I talked about the "vapor lines". I mean the upper balance pipe connection between the tanks.

Best from Germany
    Martin[/QUOTE]

Note that the SF "Tank Fuel Breather hose" (Vapor line hose?) is of wrong dimension. It is basically just the most expensive greenish hose that can be bought for money and used for nothing. Ask me how I know......-:)

Best Peter

17. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
  18. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    wait...Newco has 4x6.

19. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Thank you kbento. I ordered 2 meters 4x6 hose from Newco. it comes out about $12 a feet. Expensive green aquarium hose...

20. kbento

kbento Rookie

May 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bento
    I just ordered ALL of the different types of "Cavis" type hoses that SuperformanceUK carries. Im going through all of my fuel, coolant and vacuum hoses and replacing what I can. I also ordered the SRI Water/Coolant hose kit. I already ordered SRI's fuel hose kit, and got all of the old fuel lines switched out. Between that, the Cavis hoses from SF-UK, and a REALLY long Goodyear Heater Hose to replace the infamous coolant hose that runs inside the driver-side sil:
    HEATER HOSE SILICONE HVY 5/8" BLU (14')
    Quite expensive for a single hose (about $90 for a 14' legnth) but I trust that Miata guy's blog, hes a great resource: https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=507999&page=4

And I only want to do this hose ONCE. Hopefully the hose will last another 30 years.
    Let me know if you want to know where I sourced it from.

Got both gas tanks out, about to do the timing belt in the next week or so. The projects just keep growing and growing. "Might as well" should be my mantra! im thinking about getting it tatooed to my arm!

By the way, this all started with "I think I should change the brakes this winter". Its just grown and grown. 5 separate orders to SuperformanceUK, Ricambi, and other obscure sources Ive discovered along the way. Its definitely a journey, but I LOVE it.

21. kbento

kbento Rookie

May 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bento
    Yup, I did the same thing. Ordered it for 17pounds, whats that, $22? Useless. It doesnt match up to any hoses on my 308 tanks...

pshoejberg likes this.
  22. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    I’m having a hard time figuring out why one would spend a fortune on non original SRI hoses, even if they are great, then spend more on green fake Cavis hoses, when $8.99 on EBay shipping included gets you 5m of 4mm x 6mm bluish-clear PU hose that works just as well as the fake Cavis hose. Is it a Florida Gators fan thing...gotta have the green Cavis to go with the Orange SRI hoses?

23. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    It might be a Concours concern; I know of at least one car that got a deduction for blue vs green hoses.